of 3

2011-08-04 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3627676

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Beginner Exercise Program
GregWmson - 2011-08-03 2:46 PM

Just started on my 6th week on this plan,  I've been a smoker and overweight for the last 20 years. 

I'm 49 weigh 279 and 6'2, I've lost 70 lbs since Feb and I quit smoking on new years.

I think I should accelerate my progress a bit though because I'm hardly feeling any soreness the next day and my weight has been slow coming off. I ride my bike daily 5-12 miles, and usually play basketball 4--6 times a week and keep my calorie count under 1800 calories, usually.  a few weeks ago I plateaued and starting doing doing the plan twice a day (same muscle group) and broke through my plateau, now that I've dropped back down to once a day, my weight is holding steady. I'm not sure how much less I can eat, one thing I dd incorporate was taking protein powder drinks after each workout. But even then, my calorie count never exceeds 2k a day. 

btw my goal is to run my first sprint for my 50th birthday, next may.  

I also suffer from bad knees and lower back issues.  So far my back has been ok, but my knees are starting to bother me every since I tried to do some light squats.  I'm not planning on doing any running until I"m under 250 because of my knee issues.  Is there any drawbacks to skipping a month or doing two workouts a day?

Weight loss is my favorite subject. Most people are just like you - they start exercising, lose some weight, plateau, exercise more. Bad cycle to get stuck in and you always end up exercising too much and being hungrier. You may be eating too little, or not the right stuff for weight loss. My favorite saying is "If you have to count calories, you aren't eating the right foods". The best way to eat for weight loss is not necessarily low fat/high carb. I have NO idea what you are eating so I don't want to presume, but when I am helping my athletes lose weight I make them eat lots of meat, eggs, fish, cheese, and full fat dairy, and veggies (including some white and sweet potatoes), and very minimal bread, pasta, bagels, cereal, or any low-fat product of any kind. You may want to experiment with counting carbs instead of calories for 2 weeks and stay under 75-100 and see what happens.

2011-08-12 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3268237

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hi, my name is Sergio and I live in Albuquerque, NM.  My goals are to do triathlons and lose weight (6'1", 270lbs.) while training.  I will start the Beginner Exercise Program on Monday August 15.  I was athletic when I was younger but I have slowly put on weight in my late 30's until now at age 42.  I have no experience in triathlons but I have a bike, running shoes and access to a pool.  Thank you.

2011-08-15 5:53 AM

Extreme Veteran

Just finished MONTH 1 week 2 of this. I'm basically doing this as the biking component of my training for a mini-sprint triathlon on Nov. 6 to celebrate my heart transplant anniversary (16 years.) I'm using the agressive c25k for the running (just finished month 2 week 3) and am essentially doing my own thing for the swimming. 

Anyway my ride today went great - first 1hr ride - 5.38 miles - I'm still kinda slow, lol - but I'm definitely happy with it. I didn't have to walk any hills and only stopped for traffic issues and to have a drink.  

2011-09-12 8:13 AM

Hey All,

Yup...I'm a beginner!  Looking to do a triathlon next year.  I've been running and working out to lose some weight and am looking foward to training for a triathlon.  I don't have a bike so that throws a wrench into some things but I have access to a good gym with stationary bikes for training purposes.  Not sure what I'm going to do about the swimming portion...any suggestions?  Anyway...I plan on doing some small running races for the time being...and do what I can to prepare for a tri until I can get a bike and all. 

2011-10-15 8:34 PM

New user

Oregon
Hello! I am new here, just looking for another way to stay motivated for training. I have a history of getting sick (colds and such) after beginning an exercise program, any suggestions would help!
2011-10-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3725332

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Welcome! The best way to stay healthy is to eat well and take is easy and gentle as you begin this program. Let us know how it's working out for you.

monikermiles - 2011-10-15 8:34 PM Hello! I am new here, just looking for another way to stay motivated for training. I have a history of getting sick (colds and such) after beginning an exercise program, any suggestions would help!

2011-10-30 9:41 AM

User image

hi folks....  have been inspired to try a tri by my 9 year old daughter who did one last year.  I also need a focus for my execercise because I fall off the wagon with nothing to work towards.  i am goal oriented and have found just "going to the gym" is not for me. 

I am 41.  I have had knee injuries.  I have kidney disease.  I am a positive person and am really confused by this site.  Lots of good info, really poorly organized. 

2011-11-26 11:03 AM

New user

Hello everyone,

I will be doing the Sprint Iron Girl on August 2012.  I have never done a triathalon event.  I'm over weight and struggling with hypothyroidism.  Due to this thyroid issue, it does not help matters when trying to lose weight.  Hopefully soon I can get this thyroid issue under control soon. Is there anybody else who is suffering from a thyroid disease and struggles with weight loss?  My endocrinologist suggests eating very little, but if I'm going to exercise a lot, should I eat more? 

Besides all of this, I'm looking for a support system.  From the three tri-sports, cycling is my favorite and running is a huge challenge for me.

Any suggestions for a tri-newbie?

Thank you in advance,

Jennie

2011-12-07 12:34 PM

New user

Lancaster

Today I announced to myself that I am going to lose weight and train for a triathlon. I am still way over weight from having my daughter TWO years ago and am setting goals that will make changes happen. Even better, I have asked others close to me to join in (this way I can't back out). My first goal is to lose weight with my reward being to try my first triathlon. With an attempt to be realistic, I have to lose 20lbs before now and the time I do one. Which gives me at least 3-4 months. Right now I weigh 185lbs. My goal is to be about 140-145lbs. I am not too caught up in what I weigh, just how I feel. I hope I am able to do this!!!  

2011-12-13 10:53 PM

User image

New user

Hi! I'm Michaela. I have decided to attempt my first and I really want to get in shape. I've only ever done one race and that was 3 years and about 30 pounds ago. This program makes it sound so easy. I hope to have the discipline to follow through. Going to the gym tomorrow morning to get started.
2011-12-22 3:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

Ok I'm back - using this as a bike/swim program to complement the consevative C25k running program on here.

Anyway I have a question - on week 1 day 3 it says this:

Longer ride 40 to 50 minutes.  Incorporate hills and endurance with this workout.  There will be one longer ride each week; this is the first for the month.  Try to put the resistance higher for a minute here and there (no more than 4 times) and come out of the saddle.  Working on leg power and relaxed upper body.  No bouncing or rocking

If outside does higher resistance mean upping the gears? or what? 

Oh and for week 2 day 2 - is the "check your pulse for x mins and multiply by y" method good enough if you don't have access to a HRM or gym bike that measures pulse?

2012-01-21 8:21 PM

User image

I am just beginning my "in shape" quest from many years with Diabetes Type 2 and being Morbidly Obese. I have set goals that I WILL compete in my first Triathlon in 2013. I have about 100 lbs to loose before strategic training starts. I am shooting for October 1st, 2012 to start a full on Tri-Program. What do you suggest would be a great start to my weightloss and where I should be before "getting serious"? I am currently 291lbs and 5'7". 
2012-01-22 4:05 AM
in reply to: #4003796

Extreme Veteran

The Beginner Exercise program looks like a good place to start if the bike will take your weight - no offense meant but mine used to "scream" at me too and I'm about 4 inches shorter and 40lbs lighter  - if you haven't got a bike try one of the stationary types.

Also anything involving water is good to exercise without having to carry your full weight since the bouyancy helps - and it'll help you get more comfortable in it. - That includes water aerobics and swimming - if you can't right now there are some good tips here plus you'll probably find that your local pool has adult lessons or something

As to the running start with a walking program if running seems too hard.

Oh and you could also use the program to train for a mini sprint too - about 1/2 the distance of a sprint (see the triathlon glossary)

I'm actually "frankenplanning" (combining different plans) using this for bike, the conservative c25k for running and the Micheal Pates plan for swimming so  if you find different programs work well for different things feel free to combine things.

2012-05-19 1:06 PM

Hi my name is Heather. I am 27 years old. I am starting this plan because I want to start making healthy choices for myself and my family. I have some weight to lose and I miss the feeling of being active, competitive and proud of that I worked hard for something and accomplished it. I played water polo, was a swimmer, and ran cross country in high school and I want to be my active self again. So I'm hoping this plan will help me start a life long habit of enjoying being healthy and fit.
2012-06-09 11:49 PM

Hey ya'll. Ryan, just wanting to get back into shape. Also wanting to try and get into triathlons. I ran track back in school, paly football, and my senior year swam. love them all. In the military, looking for a new way to push myself.
2012-07-08 4:53 AM

New user

southport uk

Hi i am warren new to the beginner exercise  programme , i want to start the programme now in july 2012 to lead me into triathlons next year and build a good grounding of fitness. the question i have is once you have completed the 7 - 8 month programme would you then pick a specific sprint workout or Olympic workout to lead you into your race 3 months before , for example train now from July 2012 till Feb /march 2013 then train 3 months specific for an event distance which will lead you into the season june 2013.

Thanks !!!

2012-07-09 12:44 AM
in reply to: #4299629

Hey Warren! I'm John, and I too am going to be starting this plan as of... well... today! I haven't been working out for about 10 years, and have printed this plan and shown it to my Dr. He gave me the thumbs up to start it. After these 8 months of training, I plan on using the 3 month sprint plan. I am already signed up for my first tri for next July here in MN. Good luck with your training, and I hope to see you on this forum many more times!
2012-08-18 6:53 AM

Tomorrow I will begin the beginner's program. I am looking for weight loss and more...  Looking forward into the future ...
2012-08-18 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I just stumbled upon this.  I don't visit the general forums too much.  Is this a plan that BT has available that can be downloaded into the training plan?   I really liked what I read.

I have perfected being a couch potato since the beginning of May.  I've lost whatever fitness I seem to have had (marathons x4 in 8 months between 8/2011 and 4/2012) and need to start back with something, very slowly.  I can't, literally, run for more than 1.5 minutes without having to stop to walk slowly.  Its been a total break down.  My weight is up, my fitness is down, and my stamina is nothing.  I've had a lot of stress and I don't think that we appreciate what a toll that takes on the body.   I need to start taking care of myself again and this looks perfect.  Can I join in?  

2012-09-01 9:46 AM

Hola!!!

My name is Danita and a couch potatoe.  I am very unhealthy and need help.  I did my first Tri back on Mother's Day in 2011 in Orlando. I know that it was nothing but God and the angels around me that got me through it.  I was the last finisher but nevertheless I did complete it.  I have not been active since then.  If I don't get off this darn couch I am affraid I will DIE(I am very serious).  What should I do, where do I start?  Please someone come to my rescue......

Wanting a change

Danita

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Exercise Program Rss Feed  

of 3