General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Progress on roller technique - but alas, it's been only technique Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-30 6:37 PM

Master
Subject: Progress on roller technique - but alas, it's been only technique
Spent a month re-visiting my TravelTrac Rollers that I got awhile back and didn't use for quite awhile since I felt that my CycleOps trainer was so much superior for getting faster.  Here's my long-winded experience/review that I hope helps anyone interested in doing something similar:

In the past month, learned to:
- Ride two-hands at all speeds slow to fast in drops/hoods/bars on a roadbike.
- Ride one-hands at almost all speeds in hoods/bars and even one-handed in the drops (albeit sketchy there!)
- Ride standing and even do a slow sprint (that was particularly difficult to learn)
- Ride two hands and look over both shoulders for more than a second (also suprisingly hard)
- Grab a rear-seat water bottle, drink and return
- Sprint to 90% effort (cadence and effort) seated. Only can go about 75% standing

- Still can't ride no-handed
- Still can't clip out and ride one-legged 
- Still can't ride one handed and look over shoulder for over a second
- Still can't sprint all-out

Getting started on the roller is by far the hardest thing for a beginner. I still can't do it well, and a low platform to get you over the bike is a huge help. I still ride my rollers near a wall for safety purposes. If anyone has any tips for starting rollers without a wall or platform, please let me know!

Finding the best location for your rollers so you can learn the techniques is also very helpful. Find a wall where you can lean your shoulder or elbow while in cycling position to help stay up - if you have to reach with your arm to support yourself upright, it won't work. If you can find a narrow hall where you can reach the other wall with a hand in an emergency tilt-over, that's even better. But one wall is all you really need, since you'll quickly learn to lean only one way.

I was surprised out hard it is to look over my shoulder (like at cars behind) with only one hand on the bars. Pretty much guarantees me a wipeout if I look for more than a second on the rollers - yet I've definitely done this on the road (yikes!). Lesson for me: don't do that on the road! I'vealso appreciated how easy it is to swerve while looking back even with two hands on the bars - when you do it on rollers, you'll be amazed at how haywire your line can go.

I will say though, at least for me, even after feeling VERY comfortable two-handed on the rollers at all speeds, I still vastly prefer my CycleOps trainer for power/endurance training. That said, I do think rollers & trainer complement each other very nicely - now I'm using the trainer on hard days and trainer on recovery days. I can also imagine that if you have rollers like the e-motions ($700ish) which make it impossible to fly off the front or back, that sprints would be much more doable and very high intensity.

Good luck to anyone on the roller technique path - it's a fun one!

Edited by agarose2000 2010-12-30 6:41 PM

2010-12-30 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3268900

User image

Regular
NW
Subject: RE: Progress on roller technique - but alas, it's been only technique

Getting started on the roller is by far the hardest thing for a beginner. I still can't do it well, and a low platform to get you over the bike is a huge help. I still ride my rollers near a wall for safety purposes. If anyone has any tips for starting rollers without a wall or platform, please let me know!

One Saturday morning, I was getting ready to go to the lumber yard to get material to build a platform.  I had started out in a doorway, then a wall, then a chair.   Before I left,  I got the idea to experiment a bit.  I took every cushion I could find in the house and piled them each side of the rollers with the intent of falling over as much as I needed to.  Then I started just like I would on the road except of course the bike needs to be leaned over more because of sitting up on the rollers.   So, with left foot on the floor, right foot clipped in and at the top of the stroke, small ring about 13, just start as you would going down the road.

I was amazed, it really is that simple.  The cushions took out the fear of falling and I found out roller riding is mostly mental.  If you get nervous and tense up, things aren't going to go as well.

So, grab some cushions, start out by just clipping in one leg (for me the right), and practice just that first pedal stroke coasting to a stop, put your foot down, and do it again.  Don't try to sit down, or put your other foot on the pedal at first.  Just get comfortable with that first stroke and coasting to a stop.  Put a lot of your weight on the handlebars.  You'll soon find there is all kinds of time to sit on the seat and put your other foot on.  Get back up to speed and then clip in.

Happy rolling!
2010-12-30 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
for a while I was able to ride in aero on my tri bike..  

I"m got my rollers out again last night and but my road bike on.  I was surprised that I did as well as I did.

I have trouble with the same things you do.. except for attempt to work the tv remote and practice getting a water bottle I don't experiment that much. 

I do like that I can't really coast or slow down too much to take breaks on rollers. 
2010-12-30 8:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I have a set of rollers that have had me a scardey cat for the past year.  Thanks for the posts, I may get the dourage to try them again!
2010-12-31 4:12 AM

User image

The only thing on your list I'm not able to do is ride no handed. Then again I have never done that outside on my tri bike either and have no intention of it.

The out of the saddle hard sprint you're just going to have to work up to and that all depends on how badly you want to be able to do them on the rollers as to whether you're ever going to be able to.

For the one legged stuff, make sure your platforms on either side are about the top of the roller drums. Then with one foot on the platform, start peddling with the other foot in about 39/15 or so. Once you get up to speed start leaning away from the platform with your foot on it until you've got your foot 1" off the platform. Next step is to start bending your knee and bringing that foot in towards the bike. Then work it until you can put your foot onto the pedal and start peddling. After you've done that a few times, work on clipping in like that. Remember to do all the work with the foot that's already clipped in and don't rush things with the foot you're bringing up, it's just along for the ride until it's clipped in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Progress on roller technique - but alas, it's been only technique Rss Feed