General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Race Tomorrow...yipes! Advice appreciated.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-06 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: Xterra Race Tomorrow...yipes! Advice appreciated....
Hello - DH and I are doing our first Xterra race in Grafton, NY tomorrow (Sunday). Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm not the best mountain biker, but I can slug through it. Did a couple of sprint adventure races in May and went for 20 miles on mountain bike yesterday with a 5K run (quads are still intact!). Thanks in advance!

on a side note - I'm getting my M-dot Tat in an hour! whoo hoo

2005-08-06 11:28 AM
in reply to: #218196

North Carolina
Subject: RE: Xterra Race Tomorrow...yipes! Advice appreciated....
Welcome to XTERRA Jeanne!
You guys are going to have a blast!
The Sky High Adventure Off-Road Triathlon @ Grafton Lakes is blast and one of the original events in the Nissan Xterra Points Series.

Given that you've done some ARs - you should be fine with this ORT. The swim is beautiful and very safe. The bike is certainly challenging but very doable. There is a mix of open fire road, single track, a monster hill, and of course some mud. The run is really cool - it goes around the lake on a mix of pine/rocky/rooty trail thru beautiful scenic woods. The finish in on the beach! Most importantly - race within your means - don't push yourself beyond you riding ability. Too steep? get off and walk - no worries.
The post race party is a blast. Any questions - stop by the XTERRA tent and ask for Brent. Race specifics are available @ www.skyhighadventures.com.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!!

Edited by AKMARSH 2005-08-06 11:33 AM
2005-08-06 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Thanks, now I found out a bunch of us are going up to this race from our tri club. That will make it more fun. Will look out for the monster hill...Hey, If I can Survive a Genesis AR, then this should be doable, right?

2005-08-06 4:50 PM
in reply to: #218301

North Carolina
jeanneroth - 2005-08-06 5:32 PM

Thanks, now I found out a bunch of us are going up to this race from our tri club. That will make it more fun. Will look out for the monster hill...Hey, If I can Survive a Genesis AR, then this should be doable, right?

Absolutely! Go for it!

Be certain to look for results and Nissan Xterra Points Series Points on the XTERRA Planet Results page on Monday => http://www.xterraplanet.com/race/results_05/

Good luck!
2005-08-06 4:59 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

you're getting a tattoo the day before a race?  Does this have a swim?  It may be sore for a couple of days.   But then again, if you already got a tattoo, you should know what you can handle. 

My ankle was sore for a week.

My shoulder was sore just for a few days. 

2005-08-06 6:00 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
the tatoo was a couple of hours ago and itwas my first. The artist said no swimming for a week. We both said "but we have a race tomorrow!" and she said "No swimming!" so we went and got some waterproof bandages and are going to try it out. It might end up being a long transition to wash the tatoo and re bandage it, but I really don't want an infection. My DH does not care.

I'll post pics on the tatoo thread in "Cup of Joe" section....

2005-08-06 6:52 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

getting it wet might harm it and turn it to mush.  The design might bleed or be affected. 

I hope it stays good, I'm an admirer of body art myself.    Post pics!!

2005-08-06 9:11 PM

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
jeanneroth - 2005-08-06 9:14 AM

Hello - DH and I are doing our first Xterra race in Grafton, NY tomorrow (Sunday). Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'm not the best mountain biker, but I can slug through it. Did a couple of sprint adventure races in May and went for 20 miles on mountain bike yesterday with a 5K run (quads are still intact!). Thanks in advance!

on a side note - I'm getting my M-dot Tat in an hour! whoo hoo

If you can do adventure races, you'll be fine at the XTERRA. Good luck and post a report here when you're done!

bock
2005-08-10 1:15 PM

North Carolina
Jeanne - so how did it go at the Grafton ORT?

Bock - you going to be in Keystone this weekend?

Edited by AKMARSH 2005-08-10 1:16 PM
2005-08-10 2:42 PM
in reply to: #221774

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
AKMARSH - 2005-08-10 12:15 PM

Yes I will!

Pre-rode and ran the course a couple weeks ago. I am primed and ready! Well, as ready as I can be, anyway.

I'd really like to get enough points to qualify for Tahoe. I'll be going regardless, because my wife & friends will all almost certainly qualify and I'm going with them. It's a long shot, though. I need to place at least 14th in my age group, and probably better. This will be tough for me in the 30-34 division...

Are you going? If so, good luck!

bock
2005-08-10 2:52 PM
in reply to: #221934

North Carolina
bock - 2005-08-10 3:42 PM

AKMARSH - 2005-08-10 12:15 PM

Yes I will!

Pre-rode and ran the course a couple weeks ago. I am primed and ready! Well, as ready as I can be, anyway.

I'd really like to get enough points to qualify for Tahoe. I'll be going regardless, because my wife & friends will all almost certainly qualify and I'm going with them. It's a long shot, though. I need to place at least 14th in my age group, and probably better. This will be tough for me in the 30-34 division...

Are you going? If so, good luck!

bock

Very cool! Good luck! Sure hope you make it to the big dance in Tahoe (Oct 2nd)!
Don't forget that there is plenty of exciting XTERRA racing after Keystone. Perhaps you can pick up some points there if needed.

Aug 14th = Florida ORT - N.Miami, FL
Aug 14th = General Butler ORT - Carrollton, KY
Aug 14th = Jamba Juice MountainMan ORT - Oahu, HI
Aug 21st= Farmington Valley ORT - Farmington, CT
Aug 21st = Sisters High Cascades ORT - Sisters, OR (With a $3000 Prize Purse!)
Aug 27th = Charlottesville ORT - C-ville, VA
Aug 28th = Schiff Scout MTB Triathlon - Wading River, NY (Long Island)
Aug 28th = Lake Sonoma ORT - Geyserville, CA
Sept 4th = Iron Range ORT - Biwabik, MN

ALL DETAILS AVAILABLE @ www.XTERRAPLANET.com/RACE

If not - no worries - there is the XTERRA-Nevada off-road tri on the Saturday before the National Championship. It's the same AWESOME Bike with a shorter Swim and Run. It's open to anyone who wants to do it. No qualification required.

Looking for a cool way to get into XTERRA-Keystone OR XTERRA-Sport this weekend? Check out the XTERRAChat.com/Championship forum. There is a Charity Auction going on for a "FREE RIDE" Entry Certificate. It's also good for XTERRA-Nevada on Oct 1st.

Yep - I'lll be in Keystone - while in Transition ask for Andrew.

Edited by AKMARSH 2005-08-10 2:59 PM

2005-08-10 2:57 PM
in reply to: #221954

User image

Regular
Boulder, CO
there is the XTERRA-Nevada off-road tri on the Saturday before the National Championship. It's the same AWESOME Bike with a shorter Swim and Run. It's open to anyone who wants to do it. No qualification required.

Ah, I'm disappointed to hear the Saturday race in Tahoe is a shorter course. I was planning on doing it if I missed qualifying for Nationals, and I wanted to be able to compare my time against everyone else's. I'll still do it if it's my only option, though!

bock
2005-08-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #221960

North Carolina
bock - 2005-08-10 3:57 PM

there is the XTERRA-Nevada off-road tri on the Saturday before the National Championship. It's the same AWESOME Bike with a shorter Swim and Run. It's open to anyone who wants to do it. No qualification required.

Ah, I'm disappointed to hear the Saturday race in Tahoe is a shorter course. I was planning on doing it if I missed qualifying for Nationals, and I wanted to be able to compare my time against everyone else's. I'll still do it if it's my only option, though!

bock

Believe me it's no less challenging or fun. The Swim and Run are 1/2 distance. The Bike, of course, is one of the most scenic in all of multisport.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Race Tomorrow...yipes! Advice appreciated.... Rss Feed