BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-04-06 12:45 AM
in reply to: #3431324

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED

jamiej - 2011-04-05 2:27 PM Lots of questions. Here are my thoughts: @ vibratingp00 never thought about breathing. I'm a mouth breathing caveman on the bike. @ wallico. As said b/4. You got that nifty virus from the snot nose kid 2 seats up from you on the plane down. Welcome back! @Radar Power meters can transfer from bike to bike. It depends on what you get. If you get a crank based power system (quarq or SRM) then you have to swap over the entire crankset each time. This isn't really that hard but isn't fast either. If you get a wheel based power meter (powertap like I have) then it is easily done especially if you get a wireless. It's as easy as taking the rear wheel off of one bike and putting it on the other. This is very easily done. You'll need a second mount for your PT computer as well which is about $10. For me, power does transfer well from trainer to road. I train with watts and race with watts. @sbsmann You are doing something VERY common. I did it and most peeps I know start out exactly like you. There is nothing wrong with trying it out. Based on my personal experience and those I know, here is how it will work: 1. you have road bike but don't know if you want/can afford tri bike 2. you decide you need aero bars on road bike 3. you find out that putting aero bars on the road bike makes you really stretched out b/c the geometry of the road bike isn't designed for aerobars. 4. you buy a forward seat post that puts you pretty close to where a tri bike would put you if you owned one. 5. you get fit on this system 6. you race one season like this 7. you buy a tri bike the next season and explain to spouse/significant other why you need one. 8. you reconfigure your road bike back to what it is supposed to be. 9. you realize that aero bars and forward seat post won't be used on new tri bike b/c it already has them. 9. you sell the forward seat post and aero bars to a friend for beer money. I assume it will go to beer b/c you live in Wisconsin! Try it out. Can't hurt anything but your wallet. Jamie

Thanks for all the bday wishes!

I'm on step 4!!! I took some pics to post of the new seatpost, etc. I'll upload when I can. After an hour spin, here are my thoughts:

The good: I'm definitely less stretched out - the "reach" to the aerobars feels natural finally. I also feel like my knees aren't hitting my chest so much, since the angle between torso and thigh is less acute (slightly greater).

The bad: This may have nothing to do with the seatpost, but I feel like I'm putting a lot more weight on my arms now. I think this is because the seat is a bit higher than my previous seatpost, and I also removed a spacer to get more aero.

2011-04-06 3:15 AM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
@dhopman. Practice that new position constantly and don't be afraid to put it back to the old position if it felt better. You are REALLY close to your race to be making big changes to your setup.

Masters swim and hopefully lunch run for me today.

Jamie
2011-04-06 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
To follow up from yesterdays breathing question, I did a little bit of digging and read that its best to "breathe through your stomach" on the bike, which is a little different than how I breathe when Im running.  During running, a deep breath has the diaphragm going up and the ribs expanding, not so great when in the aero position on the bike.  On the bike, it said to expand your stomach out when breathing in, which I tried out while riding in to work today, and it seemed to work well.  Pros were that I could easily take a deep breath, cons were that I was focused on breathing and I rode slower.  So its something that needs more practice.
2011-04-06 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3431794

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

jamiej - 2011-04-06 1:15 AM @dhopman. Practice that new position constantly and don't be afraid to put it back to the old position if it felt better. You are REALLY close to your race to be making big changes to your setup. Masters swim and hopefully lunch run for me today. Jamie

I agree - I don't want the new position to cause any problems! I might put the spacer back in...It's tiny anyways and might shift some weight back onto my rear a bit.

Actually, my back is having some issues (started before the new bike set up). I showed up ready for a group run last night. Everyone starts off with an easy jog and my back is killing me every step I take. I think it started in the car ride home from Tahoe. No clue where it came from, but I had to turn around and head back to the car. Went home and got a spin in. Hopefully whatever this is heals VERY quickly. I used the TP roller on my back this morning hoping it would loosen things up.

2011-04-06 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
@dhopmann AND vibratingp00:

It sounds like both of you may be in really aggressive positions on the bike. Breathing and lower back problems usually are a signal of that. Don't be afraid to put the spacers under the bars to open up your hip angle a little more. This should help your back and your breathing.

Remember that aggressive positions look really cool but just aren't that great unless you can stay in them without major discomfort for the entire ride. If you are so uncomfortable that you have to sit up all of the time to breathe/stretch you'd probably be better off just in a traditional sitting roadie position. Very few people are out there riding long tris with 17cm of drop.

Just my .02 based on no visual evidence.

Jamie
2011-04-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3431324

User image

I was about to embark on #1-9, but a friend of mine told me that was the path I was on, so I just did #7, and I've been happy with it ever since...but my wife still isn't convinced. 

2011-04-06 7:45 PM

User image

New user
Great 90 min outdoor ride tonight.  A little windy but overall a surprisingly good ride...bike computer is dead so I just went with my Iphone in the bento and took off.  
2011-04-06 11:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Back from the dead! I have been sick for 3 weeks now and have worked out only a couple of times. Very disappointed and might need to adjust my 5:30 time for my 1/2. I ran on Sunday but my body said no way. Pace was slow and HR was way to high so it turned into a long walk . I did get out today!! biked to the track 20min, did 45 min of speed work, Did manage to get to a 3km min. and then another 20 min ride home. Felt really good and am ready to get back at it.
2011-04-07 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Looks like we have been 'archived' and new mentoring groups are opening up. I'll still monitor this thread daily until the end of April but then I'll probably slack off a bit. I have a couple weeks of vacation and 3 guys that I'm coaching hands on that I need to attend to starting in May.

I would encourage you to join one of the new mentor groups for diversity of opinion. There are many ways to skin the cat and mine is only one! Remember though, consistency over time will always pay the largest dividends.

Ran 9 today. My legs are just angry with me right now b/c I'm hobbling around like an old man!

Jamie
2011-04-07 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3434876

User image

Jamie,

I think I speak for all of us when I say THANK YOU for mentoring this group.  You have provided some great info.  Thanks again.

2011-04-07 7:06 PM

User image

New user

Definitely agree!  Thanks for the input...I did a 5 miler today...I feel like I am getting into the groove at the right time...

2011-04-07 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

8 mile run this morning with some hard intervals.  Good workout but I am tired and ready to call it a night soon.

And thanks Jamie for being a great mentor.  You've been very responsive with great opinions and input on everything!

2011-04-08 3:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Thanks everyone. I appreciated all of the interaction from everybody. I hope you got a little something out of it that will make triathlon a little more fun and fast!

I'm up for a masters swim this morning and then later today I'm getting a massage. My legs are cranky and need to be worked out. I usually get one every 2-3 weeks but haven't been in since October and it's way past time.

Like I mentioned previously, I'll be on the thread until the end of April or until I sense that it is stalling out pretty badly. After that, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you have any questions etc.

Jamie
2011-04-08 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Wow that was fast. This was my third mentor group and I feel like I really got a lot of practical, insightful advice from everyone, especially Jamie though. It's obvious you know what you're doing! Thanks for taking the time to help us all out, hopefully we'll be staying in touch!

PS - got on the bike last night for a 90 minute spin. Put the spacer back in, and moved the aero bar pads back (out) to where they were before I got crazy about being "aero". The lady gave my back a good massage then used the heating pad for a bit. Hopefully I'll be ready for a run this weekend.

2011-04-08 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3436068

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-04-08 11:20 AM

Wow that was fast. This was my third mentor group and I feel like I really got a lot of practical, insightful advice from everyone, especially Jamie though. It's obvious you know what you're doing! Thanks for taking the time to help us all out, hopefully we'll be staying in touch!

PS - got on the bike last night for a 90 minute spin. Put the spacer back in, and moved the aero bar pads back (out) to where they were before I got crazy about being "aero". The lady gave my back a good massage then used the heating pad for a bit. Hopefully I'll be ready for a run this weekend.

There is a lot to be said for comfort and being able to breathe. Especially for you doing an IM. Widen the bars a bit and keep the spacer in. That should help you be able to expand your lungs and be a LOT more comfortable. Remember for you that you absolutely need to nail that nutrition and don't get involved in a bike race! If you can run, even jog, during the marathon you will be really please with your time. Remember that the avg person walks at a 15min/mile pace. Even if you get 10 min/mile you beat that person by 2hr 10mins. The only difference between my first IM and my second was pacing the bike better (with HR at the time) and being able to "run" the whole marathon because of it. The difference was about 2hrs45mins! Do the math.

When all of those idiots are blazing by you on your bike, don't react. Race your race and tell them 'nice bike' as you run by them.

Jamie
2011-04-09 3:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
All,
Seems like a good new HIM/IM group forming in the staging area that you might want to join:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Jamie

2011-04-09 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3437230

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Got 42 miles in before the rain started.

Thanks for all the info Jamie and the rest of the crew! 

Lets see - i am at step 6.9!

2011-04-11 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

MONSTER weekend for me. Saturday the group (4 of us) rode from Santa Cruz to Monterey and back - ended up being the first century for all of us! The way back we had the WORST head winds I've ever been in. I was hammering on the flats and only going 8-10 MPH. Talk about physical and mental drain! This went on for a good solid hour.

Sunday was a solo long run. About 2.5 hours, 17 miles. My legs are feeling it today big time. Popped a couple advil this morning. Now I'm eating my face off at work.

2011-04-11 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA

Im trying to come up with a description for my unMONSTER weekend, but havent figured it out yet.

Spent the weekend in Rochester with lots of family that came in for the engagement party.  The plan was to ride the old mountain bike on Saturday, only to get on and have it crumple beneath me.  So I went old man style on my dads hybrid, which was the worst biking experience ever.  Complete opposite of being aero, I felt like a huge sail sitting completely upward while debating whether "any ride is better than no ride at all".  Tried to salvage the weekend with a good swim last night and had to stop about half way through because of achilles pain.

First race of the year this weekend, Olympic distance, waters supposed to be in the low 60s.

And Jamie, thanks for all the support in hosting this group for us.  The biggest thing that Im going to take away is your consistency in your workouts.  Your power outputs and the straight lines that you have in the graphs are really impressive and something that Im going to work to achieving.  It really is robot like output.

2011-04-11 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I'll will preach a bit more about power meters. If you decide to get one they are great in the wind. When wind hits you most people do one of 2 things:

1. hammer into a headwind
2. stop pedaling with a strong tailwind.

Both of these instincts are b/c of one number that dhopmann hinted at..........speed!!! Either you think its not fast enough (headwind) or you think you are going fast enough (tail wind)

I know this sounds crazy, but for HIM/IM do NOT look at speed. Tape that nasty number over and forget about it. Regardless of if you are using RPE, power or HR you need to watch THAT number in both situations and keep it fairly constant. Don't chase speed! You may catch it but it will kill you in the long run (no pun intended!!)

Tailwinds are important too. Keep the HR/RPE/Power UP UP UP, don't relax. Mother nature is giving you a gift and if you didn't hammer into the headwind on the way out then you'll have enough in the tank to take advantage of this when the tailwind happens.

Wally, if you are reading this, memorize it for Muncie. The first 1/2 of the course is usually into a decent head/cross wind. Just deal with that. Let everybody else go nuts and hammer into it and totally blow up while you stay at target effort regardless of speed. After the turn around you usually get a good tailwind. That will be the time to keep your power/HR/RPE up and consistent so you can sail by everybody that destroyed themselves into the headwind.

Jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-04-11 3:21 PM
2011-04-12 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3440645

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

jamiej - 2011-04-11 3:18 PM I'll will preach a bit more about power meters. If you decide to get one they are great in the wind. When wind hits you most people do one of 2 things: 1. hammer into a headwind 2. stop pedaling with a strong tailwind. Both of these instincts are b/c of one number that dhopmann hinted at..........speed!!! Either you think its not fast enough (headwind) or you think you are going fast enough (tail wind) I know this sounds crazy, but for HIM/IM do NOT look at speed. Tape that nasty number over and forget about it. Regardless of if you are using RPE, power or HR you need to watch THAT number in both situations and keep it fairly constant. Don't chase speed! You may catch it but it will kill you in the long run (no pun intended!!) Tailwinds are important too. Keep the HR/RPE/Power UP UP UP, don't relax. Mother nature is giving you a gift and if you didn't hammer into the headwind on the way out then you'll have enough in the tank to take advantage of this when the tailwind happens. Wally, if you are reading this, memorize it for Muncie. The first 1/2 of the course is usually into a decent head/cross wind. Just deal with that. Let everybody else go nuts and hammer into it and totally blow up while you stay at target effort regardless of speed. After the turn around you usually get a good tailwind. That will be the time to keep your power/HR/RPE up and consistent so you can sail by everybody that destroyed themselves into the headwind. Jamie

Great advice Jamie.  If nothing else, with or without a power meter, it's important to be conservative in the hills and instead take advantage of what the course gives you in the downhills and downwind stuff.  In addition, you continue to peak my interest in training with power.  I just wish the power meters and wheels weren't so damn expensive!  Surely you have an old one sitting in your basement you'd like to sell to me for $100?

Anyway, finished a morning run and have an hour long bike ride tonight.  Should be fun!

2011-04-12 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Agreed - very good advice on riding even effort in all wind conditions. I'll remember that!
2011-04-12 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Jamie - with all your knowledge on power meters I have a question. I rode on Saturday with a nice tail wind and a headwind coming back. My speed dropped by 10k perhr coming back. How does the power meter tell your using more power when your in an easier gear. Does it measure force? I can't afford one yet but i did notice you totally can't go by speed. Again thanks for all your help with the group. I did learn alot.
2011-04-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3442225

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
mpdiotte - 2011-04-12 12:02 PM

Jamie - with all your knowledge on power meters I have a question. I rode on Saturday with a nice tail wind and a headwind coming back. My speed dropped by 10k perhr coming back. How does the power meter tell your using more power when your in an easier gear. Does it measure force? I can't afford one yet but i did notice you totally can't go by speed. Again thanks for all your help with the group. I did learn alot.

A power meter measures only one thing: how hard you are pushing on the pedals, so yes, force.

The cheapest power meter you can buy is a powertap. You only need one wheel to train and race. Try to buy one that is bombproof, that is, has a lot of spokes. Mine is a 32 hole mavic open pro wireless unit like this:

http://www.trisports.com/mavic-open-pro-with-powertap-elite-powerme...

Is it heavy, yes it is. But weight does not matter in time trials unless you are planning on time trialing up alp d'huez or similar.

Couple that with a disc cover from wheelbuilder.com (you can also buy the pt/wheel right from them as well) and you are ready to train and race. You DO NOT NEED a second wheel with a PT hub to race. Slap that cover on the mavic and you are ready to race. This is easily just as good as a zipp wheel. As a matter of fact, on wheelbuilder.com they have a tool that lets you build up 2 wheels and compare weights. All things being equal guess what?? The zipp is heavier!!! Again, b/c weight does not matter. You are paying for the 'aero' quality of the zipp. But, if you slap a disc cover on the mavic then its about 95% as aero as the zipp and weighs less!! And it's probably a grand cheaper! Try it out for yourself:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/wheel-weight-calculator.html

One thing you need to do if you go this route is call wheelbuilder (they are fantastic) and make sure your bike frame will accept the cover. Most do but some of the new 10K+ super bikes have to have special modifications done. It's worth a call anyway though.

The only thing you then need is to pick up a used aero front wheel and you will have the cheapest, most aero wheelset out there with power!

Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40