General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giant OCR2 question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-02 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Giant OCR2 question
Hey guys I need your road bike expertise.  So i'm brand new to triathlons and so there for brand new to the gear.  I've been looking for a starter road bike to train on but yet to find anything cheaper.  I came across a Giant OCR2 today on craigslist for $400 and I talked the guy down to $350.  He states its in great condittion and barely ridden..yadayadaydad.  I'm of course gonna go look at it and test ride it but just talking to him, i'm 5'4 and he's 5'10.  He says that he thinks the frame size is a medium which on the giants site is for 5'6 and up.  Do you think I can get away with this or is there anyway a bike shop can resize this for me?  This is the first descent deal i've come across and would hate to pass it up if I could make it work.  thanx for you help

2011-01-02 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3273096

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Giant OCR2 question
Fit is ultimately important to cycling efficiency . I would tell you to keep your eyes peeled for a decent entry level road bike closer to your size . A med frame Giant is too big .  I know it's hard to be patient, but trust me, you will not bee happy with a road bike that doesn't fit . Best of luck .
                                                            Marc,
2011-01-02 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
I'm 6'-0" and I used an OCR3 for the first year and a half of my tri beginnings.  It was a medium as well and it fit me perfect.  I agree with the last post that you may be pretty stretched out on a medium but if you have the chance to test it that would provide you with the ultimate info needed to make a decision.

I had tri bars set on my drop handlebars and when I went into the aero position I was very stretched out so bare that in mind if you wanted to get an aero setup at some point.
2011-01-02 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
2008 OCR Medium is 55.0 cm effective top tube length .... it's tough to say without seeing you and seeing the bike .... but it sounds like it is too big to me.... be careful. Wrong size bike is a tough lesson to learn the hard way. Maybe try the really good online fit computer on competitivecyclist.com .... enter in your body metrics .... get someone to help you measure .... it's sort of like a TSA pat-down to take the measurements .... and you'll get an objective and accurate recommendation on the correct effective (horizontally measured) top tube length for you.
2011-01-03 12:11 AM

User image

Redmond
You can go look at it, but there's an excellent chance it's just going to be too big.  I'm 5'3" and ride an XS frame size - you'll definitely want to look at a small, if not an XS.  If you do look at it, be careful you don't talk yourself into it.  Better to wait for a bike that fits then to spend money on one you never ride because it's not comfortable.
2011-01-03 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
I've got the OCR1 (it's NOT women's specific) in the size Small. I'm 5'4 and it fits me perfectly. I'm thinking the Medium might be too big for you, especially since the manufacturer says it's for 5'6 and up.

Check it out but remember that bike fit is critical, so don't let the price and convenience of this bike let you say to yourself, "Eh, what the heck?"

It can be soooo frustrating trying to find a good bike at a cheap price starting out. I spent several months looking. Something will come along, though. You could also check out Bikes Direct.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the sport!

2011-01-03 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3273671

User image

Veteran
Lora109 - 2011-01-03 9:16 AM I've got the OCR1 (it's NOT women's specific) in the size Small. I'm 5'4 and it fits me perfectly. I'm thinking the Medium might be too big for you, especially since the manufacturer says it's for 5'6 and up.

Check it out but remember that bike fit is critical, so don't let the price and convenience of this bike let you say to yourself, "Eh, what the heck?"

It can be soooo frustrating trying to find a good bike at a cheap price starting out. I spent several months looking. Something will come along, though. You could also check out Bikes Direct.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the sport!

Thank you all for the advice and i'm gonna let this one pass.  Is that bikes direct pretty trustworthy as far as quality.  I just peaked at some of the bikes and they have really good prices!! I mean in the $200's and I could do that.  Please let me know
2011-01-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3273772

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you all for the advice and i'm gonna let this one pass.  Is that bikes direct pretty trustworthy as far as quality.  I just peaked at some of the bikes and they have really good prices!! I mean in the $200's and I could do that.  Please let me know

When you go on bikes direct yes you can get some really cheap bikes but be careful about the very cheapest.  You'll get much lower-end components, which means not as many gears, not as durable, generally more annoying.  If it's your first road bike you won't have anything to compare it to so it might not drive you nuts but once you get into biking you'll really see the difference.  Most of the threads on here seem to concur that you'll want at least Shimano 105 (like the 4th-cheapest road group) or better.  But I had a used road bike with Shimano Tiagra (the 3rd cheapest) for 2 years and I was happy with it.  I did ride a bike with Sora (2nd cheapest) and it drove me nuts though.
Bottom line- watch the components.  Read up on them so you'll know what you're getting whether you buy one from craigslist or the web.

Edited by chayes 2011-01-03 9:48 AM
2016-05-21 12:40 AM
in reply to: proudrcf

I just started riding and im doing 100 miles a week on a 1983 NISHIKI road bike. I need a newer bike, what kind do I need. Im 5'11 and 220. Maybe $500 or lower
2016-05-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: proudrcf

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You're going to waste $350 if you buy this bike... Fit is critical to efficiency and comfort and quite frankly, I can't see any way where a medium OCR could fit someone 5'4"... Height is a terrible indicator of fit, but even if you are nothing but upper body, that's still going to be a very long reach... There's some adjustment with a shorter/longer stem, but that has limitations.
2021-04-28 10:20 PM
in reply to: willis811

Originally posted by willis811

I just started riding and im doing 100 miles a week on a 1983 NISHIKI road bike. I need a newer bike, what kind do I need. Im 5'11 and 220. Maybe $500 or lower

Yeah. I did the same way. Hopefully, the author of this thread tried this since it is also my recommendation for this kind of concern.

(*scrolling old thread to get ideas)

----------
"Winners never quit" - Olympics winner 2020 | Concrete Pumping trainor

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giant OCR2 question Rss Feed