United States
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 40s
Overall Rank = 5/301
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 420 for applesauce and protine plus half a hammer nutrition bar then back to bed till 620. Woke and got the coffee pot going, finished the hammer bar and got dressed. Woke David up and got him ready to go volunteer. In the car at 650 and to the site by 710, staying near the site was a really good idea. Packet pickup was quick, chip pickup even easier. 2 trips to the porta john
Event warmup:

walked around to and from the car x2 and then worked to the front of the startline. Made sure David was set up and
Run
  • 1h 33m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Was in the second row when the gun went off. Went hard for te first 200m then settled into a quick but reasonable pace. Fell to 7th early but slowley picked 2 guys off. Couldnt make a move on the next 2 but saw them several times. Carried a bottle of heed and 2 jels 3 enduralites. Finished the bottle on the first loop along with maybe one cup water. Tried to get aid at the 8ish mi point and missed it. Went thru with/behind 2 others and they got to the cups first....too bad. Got 2 waters or gatoraid at 3 other stops including the last mile. Took 1 jel at 8.5ish but didn't take the enduralites. near the 11.5 mi point there was a very small up hill after the tunnles and the legs didn't want to accelerate. I looked at my ave pace and got discouraged till I relaized the watch didn't match the mile markers and I was ahead of target. Settled down for the last mile and pushed to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

take the enduralites with the jel just prior to an aid station
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the porta john

What limited your ability to perform faster:

missed the first aid station when I started using them. The person in front of me took a water and the last volunteer held on to the cup so I missed it. also went out slightly too hard but I wouldnt change that part....good run

Event comments:

Run the TX Marathon if you like mom and pop type races. Great atmosphere, vistas, and finishers medal. Don't go if you want big race hype, lots of stuff in the goodie bag or a wide open road, etc. Great training event and a monster 3# finisher medal

Last updated: 2010-10-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:40 | 13.1 miles | 07m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 5/301
Performance: Good
lap data is not very accurate because of the trees but here it is 7:05, 7:01, 7:06, 7:19, 7:07, 7:17, 7:14, 6:59, 7:10, 7:20, 7:21, 7:23, 7:22 hr data 157 ave, 164 max
Course: 2 loop on narrow greenbelt sidewalks thru the woods and along several lakes, beautiful place to run but not race friendly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes