General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Columbia Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-05-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3514178

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon : Official Thread

ODogg - 2011-05-23 2:50 PM Thanks! I do have a couple minor complaints about this years race. One, ZERO mile markers on the run course. I was at 8:30 on my watch for the first mile on the run and thought I was in huge trouble (the main problem with always training with a Garmin). And the second is that there were very few volunteers on the run course. I had trouble getting water a couple times. They had people working both sides of the street in the neighborhood. I went by fairly early so I hope they got some more out there as the day went on.

I would imagine I was much later bc I was so slow, and all the stops seemed able to more than handle our numbers, though I imagine that if you were sprinting & in a crowd, it might've been a challenge. Can't imagine how tough it is to get that many volunteers, though, thinking about just the sheer number involved from packet prep to registration to venue, bike, run, etc..

2011-05-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3278482

That was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement over the past few months. For those of you there yesterday ringing cowbells, and giving such great words of encouragement, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! (If you are wondering who I was, picture the 280 pound guy on the road bike). I had NO IDEA what "hilly" meant. I was about an hour and a half slower than I thought I'd be even after a decent swim leg (30 minutes). That bike course CRUSHED ME. But I finished and I could not have been more excited! Can't wait to get a real tri bike and crush my time next year. It was an amazing experience and everyone here at BT had a role in me getting through yesterday. Thanks again everyone.

joe

2011-05-23 4:16 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

ODogg - 2011-05-23 2:50 PM Thanks! I do have a couple minor complaints about this years race. One, ZERO mile markers on the run course. I was at 8:30 on my watch for the first mile on the run and thought I was in huge trouble (the main problem with always training with a Garmin). And the second is that there were very few volunteers on the run course. I had trouble getting water a couple times. They had people working both sides of the street in the neighborhood. I went by fairly early so I hope they got some more out there as the day went on.

Agreed on the mile markers. I was really hoping to see those. 

There must have been variation over time in the drink station staffing. I was running the most drink-intensive part of the course in the 9:20 - 9:40 am range, and there seemed to be both a lot of runners and a lot of volunteers around. Not sure when the peak flow of runners would have been, based on the mix of wave starts. 

2011-05-23 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
I wasn't in a big crowd...and both times at the water station at the beginning/end of the neighborhood, a girl had to run to catch up to me so I wouldn't have to stop. And they only had water on the downhill side when I went bye (so she had to cross over to give it to me). Not really a big deal as I think I had plenty of water, but I could have used another cup or two to dump on my head.
2011-05-23 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3514510

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
And when I said people working both sides of the street...I mean the same person working both sides/getting water/g'ade to the runners.
2011-05-23 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3514511

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

ODogg - 2011-05-23 5:25 PM And when I said people working both sides of the street...I mean the same person working both sides/getting water/g'ade to the runners.

OY! definitely not like that at any that i passed...and I was going slowly enough to notice! lousy timing for you... good thing you were OK without it...

2011-05-23 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3514510

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

ODogg - 2011-05-23 4:23 PM I wasn't in a big crowd...and both times at the water station at the beginning/end of the neighborhood, a girl had to run to catch up to me so I wouldn't have to stop. And they only had water on the downhill side when I went bye (so she had to cross over to give it to me). Not really a big deal as I think I had plenty of water, but I could have used another cup or two to dump on my head.

I had the same issue in the neighborhood.  I was one of the last waves, so I was out there late.  Didn't finish until 11.  Not sure if it was different earlier.  I overheard some of the volunteers (at the beginning/end of the neighborhood) saying they wished they had more help.  The volunteers that were out there were great.  They were working really hard to get everyone what they needed.

2011-05-23 8:30 PM

User image

Catonsville

Congrats to all who raced!  I was one of the volunteers on the run course.  They did have difficulty getting people to volunteer.  I convinced my bike training partner to help out.  He graciously complied even though we had to be there before 6:00 am.  There were only a handful of volunteers for the earlier part of the course.  Actually three of us directed the runners around the first up hill loop.  I was the course "marshall" at the very first turn telling all of you to make a hard left and run up the hill.  Sorry about that.  Even though I stood there for about 5 hours I did enjoy watching all of the athletes.  It was great to see a triathlon from another perspective.  Everyone should volunteer and give back so others can enjoy.

Again, congrats to all who raced!

2011-05-23 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3514893

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
marine10k - 2011-05-23 9:30 PM

Congrats to all who raced!  I was one of the volunteers on the run course.  They did have difficulty getting people to volunteer.  I convinced my bike training partner to help out.  He graciously complied even though we had to be there before 6:00 am.  There were only a handful of volunteers for the earlier part of the course.  Actually three of us directed the runners around the first up hill loop.  I was the course "marshall" at the very first turn telling all of you to make a hard left and run up the hill.  Sorry about that.  Even though I stood there for about 5 hours I did enjoy watching all of the athletes.  It was great to see a triathlon from another perspective.  Everyone should volunteer and give back so others can enjoy.

Again, congrats to all who raced!

sure, i BET you're sorry Tongue out

you & everyone on the run course were so encouraging - really helped minimize the pain! THANKS. My middle-schooler worked the finish line & had a ball.

2011-05-24 6:39 AM

User image

I was too focused on getting up the hills to get a PR, which I narrowly got, to care about the mile markers. I saw the 5k mark, which was the only one I really was looking for because after that one I knew I had to really pick it up for the second half. Yes, mile markers may have been nice but oh well. the water stations were too crowded each time I passed so I did not stop. It was only an Olympic distance so no big deal. The slim amount of volunteers were just enough to motivate me though!

My only complaint was the seeding of wave starts, which I am not sure they can control or not. Being in wave 8, I was passing up to two waves on the swim and up to three on the bike and run. I would have much preferred if they but the young gals and guys up front to avoid some of the jams.
2011-05-24 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3514494

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
jmusso - 2011-05-23 5:16 PM

That was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life! Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement over the past few months. For those of you there yesterday ringing cowbells, and giving such great words of encouragement, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! (If you are wondering who I was, picture the 280 pound guy on the road bike). I had NO IDEA what "hilly" meant. I was about an hour and a half slower than I thought I'd be even after a decent swim leg (30 minutes). That bike course CRUSHED ME. But I finished and I could not have been more excited! Can't wait to get a real tri bike and crush my time next year. It was an amazing experience and everyone here at BT had a role in me getting through yesterday. Thanks again everyone.

joe

Nice job, Joe!  Glad to hear you had a great experience and that you are coming back for more pain next year!!

2011-05-24 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

That's true - there really weren't many of us.  I couldn't race so I volunteered and I got post just under 2 miles into the run just before you went up a hill and at 5.something coming back (at the big triagle in the path).  I was supposed to be directing runners at both intersections on the triangle (at least 30 yards apart).  yeah right!  Luckily I was able to direct runners coming down the hilll to the left around the lake and a spectator (actually a few) volunteered to direct the runners coming off the lake up the hill (but they came and went so there wasn't always someone there).  I did the best I could, but I'm sure a few runners took a wrong turn and didn't exit the path around the lake.  We just didn't have the manpower to direct people and staff the water stops I guess.

Oh - and if you're the lady who ran up to me said "hey can you throw this away for me" and shoved your trash into my hands before I could even react - not cool (and illegal).  On the other hand, I was hungry and the half eaten package of Sport Beans you gave me were tasty.  But still, really not cool.

2011-05-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3515398

Pro
yep,
jsiegs - 2011-05-24 8:44 AM

That's true - there really weren't many of us.  I couldn't race so I volunteered and I got post just under 2 miles into the run just before you went up a hill and at 5.something coming back (at the big triagle in the path).  I was supposed to be directing runners at both intersections on the triangle (at least 30 yards apart).  yeah right!  Luckily I was able to direct runners coming down the hilll to the left around the lake and a spectator (actually a few) volunteered to direct the runners coming off the lake up the hill (but they came and went so there wasn't always someone there).  I did the best I could, but I'm sure a few runners took a wrong turn and didn't exit the path around the lake.  We just didn't have the manpower to direct people and staff the water stops I guess.

Oh - and if you're the lady who ran up to me said "hey can you throw this away for me" and shoved your trash into my hands before I could even react - not cool (and illegal).  On the other hand, I was hungry and the half eaten package of Sport Beans you gave me were tasty.  But still, really not cool.

Bummer on the amount of volunteers but thank you Joe for coming out to help.  I thought there were plenty of volunteers and were there to assist in any way possible. 

Free sport beans rounds out a pretty good day.

2011-05-24 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD

Im still slow, but at least this year I was 15 minutes less slower than last year.

My only gripe is the 198 year old woman driver on the bike course who refused to pass a slow rider on the return on Homewood Rd. She had at least 50 riders backed up behind her. When she got to the roundabout at Folly Quarter (??) she came to A COMPLETE STOP blocking the road. The police officer saw what was going on and made her pull her car off the road, but not before everyone behind her had to off-road it or ride over the curb on the roundabout.

2011-05-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3515294

User image

New user

Naperville, Illinois
sorry you had a rough time with crowding due to wave starts - - -I have to say, I LOVED starting in Wave 4.  I am usually the very last wave to head out and it's no fun to be one of the last people out on the run.  Volunteers have usually left their post so there might be water left sitting out on the tables (usually it's hot - so I now bring my own water and gatorade and leave it in a cooler at transition and then wear it on a fuel belt for the run).  Often times, I have no idea where the run course is going (so I make every effort to preview the course before the race - but even this one, the map wasn't real clear and I made some wrong turns during the preview - fortunately lots of folks were out there and they helped out) - - - and by the time I cross the finish line, the tents are down, the food is gone and awards ceremony is  over.

For me, this was an awesome race.  I actually felt like I was part of the race.  I actually passed some folks, finished around 10am and got to watch tons of people come in after me.  I actually got to see the start of the awards ceremony!  There was plenty of food and drinks available.  THIS was a whole new experience and I really enjoyed it  - I guess at your expense         

....sorry.....

2011-06-23 4:41 PM

User image

New user
Ellicott City
My first Olympic - loved it - great crowd, great courses, great race.  I'm hooked.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Columbia Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6