Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-08-02 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED

And for fun the profile of the climb on which this picture was taken. It was the thoughest because it was so late on the course 220KM. But I had taken tougher climbs before during that day.

Profile redoute

2011-08-02 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Congratulations Niezels

You are awesome !!!

I guess a IM bike will not be a problem for you now
2011-08-03 1:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Been busy... just a quick brag to throw out there....

I just swam 1700 meters in the pool at lunch today... my longest swim workout to date!  I did 4x200 followed by 6x150.  Total time was 39:27, thats with 50 second breaks after the 200's and 30 second breaks after the 150's... Pretty happy with myself!

2011-08-03 4:47 AM
in reply to: #3626619

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
DuncanQH - 2011-08-03 6:35 AM

Been busy... just a quick brag to throw out there....

I just swam 1700 meters in the pool at lunch today... my longest swim workout to date!  I did 4x200 followed by 6x150.  Total time was 39:27, thats with 50 second breaks after the 200's and 30 second breaks after the 150's... Pretty happy with myself!

Nice !

And good speed too, be happy, that was a great workout
2011-08-05 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang, I hope everybody are doing great.

I am in the airport ready to leave on my 2 week vacation
The first week I will not have that much time or wont spend to much htime in front of the computer but I will still check in.

I am going to Germany, and then a weekend in Denmark with my brother and hopefully the weather will be good.

I am bringer my bike and I do hope I will get some good workouts in, now that I dont have work to get in my way

Have a great weekend everybody
2011-08-07 1:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Wow Niezels, nice tour!  That is a pretty awesome accomplishment.  I can't imagine almost 12 hours of riding up hill.  

Christi

2011-08-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3632377

Way to go niezels on that tour...very impressive. Hope your recovering well.

Second race this weekend coming up for me. Its a local small race not listed on this website, but still I'm excited. And well nervous since my training has been half at best. I figure I can cover distances so I might as well go for it. I already paid the entry fee and have nothing to lose.

How everybody else doing any new races coming up?

2011-08-11 9:24 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

ty ty: The recovery went well. Since then I have had a race already. One I was very pleased about the result. Given the fact that:

• The swim was 550m instead of 500
  • The parc ferme had quite long track to cover
  • The run was 5600 instead of 5000m
  • The compensation on the bike was only 500m 19.5K instead of 20K

I was very pleased with my time being only 3 minutes above my PR. I think I would have had a PR if the course would have the same distances as during my record race.

I was especially pleased with:

• How I saved myself during the swim. I was able to find somebody to draft behind. Though I was tempted to overtake I stuck to my plan of saving all the energy I can
  • As a result I was fresh starting the bike so I could get a nice rythm and speed there.
  • It was the first time that during the run I was able to get a real rythm and speed up some sort. I think it was the fasted run ever in my tri career.

Next I have a holiday planned. 1 week trip to France (Vogezes) where I plan to do my first long climb (> 1000hm) and will go and check the tri course of Gerardmer. This course is a candidate for my first 70.3 next year. For some inspiration: http://youtu.be/H3RlvBbbWIQ

2011-08-11 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

gl Nickih on your race this weekend. As long as you plan to have fun during the race I see no obstacles.

Mesteren: Enjoy the holiday!!

Ow and my next race will be a sprint in the final weeekend of August. In September I will have my first and single 1/4 this year. Though I might change the last one to a sprint due to some irritation in my left knee which is disturbing my long distance runs.

2011-08-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3639056

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Niezels - 2011-08-11 2:24 PM

ty ty: The recovery went well. Since then I have had a race already. One I was very pleased about the result. Given the fact that:

• The swim was 550m instead of 500
  • The parc ferme had quite long track to cover
  • The run was 5600 instead of 5000m
  • The compensation on the bike was only 500m 19.5K instead of 20K

I was very pleased with my time being only 3 minutes above my PR. I think I would have had a PR if the course would have the same distances as during my record race.

I was especially pleased with:

• How I saved myself during the swim. I was able to find somebody to draft behind. Though I was tempted to overtake I stuck to my plan of saving all the energy I can
  • As a result I was fresh starting the bike so I could get a nice rythm and speed there.
  • It was the first time that during the run I was able to get a real rythm and speed up some sort. I think it was the fasted run ever in my tri career.

Next I have a holiday planned. 1 week trip to France (Vogezes) where I plan to do my first long climb (> 1000hm) and will go and check the tri course of Gerardmer. This course is a candidate for my first 70.3 next year. For some inspiration: http://youtu.be/H3RlvBbbWIQ

Very nice
Congratulations on another great race.

Enjoy your vacations

I should be back with normal internet acces tomorrow evening if anybody has any questions.

Right now I am in Denmark at my brothers place, and it has rain everyday on/off. I biked 18k on friday before i got a flat After that i did find a bit of sun and a nice 100k ride

I hope you all have a great weekend .

2011-08-14 9:37 AM

So dissapointed right now i should be running in my tri but instead I'm at home on the couch with pink eye. My first DNS this sucks. Good thing the BF is supportive and says pick another race a little later and well go there. Still a crappy day

2011-08-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3642775

Austin, TX

That sucks Nicki. But I am glad you are taking care of yourself first, and that you have a very supportive boyfriend at your side. Just think of this time as recovery, so you will be well rested to take on more training to kick some butt at the next event you enter. 

Niezels, awesome job out there, and nice new bike! I just got a bike that is "new" to me. I am starting to learn how to ride my boyfriend's old triathlon bike, as he recently upgraded to a newer, carbon frame tri bike. I hope to ride it in my next event in October. 

Mesteren, I am jealous you get to getaway! I guess being in Europe makes it easy to visit places I only dream of going to. I like to live vicariously through others, so if you have any good shots of Denmark, please post! 

To everyone, hope everyone is doing well in all aspects of life and staying cool if you are in one of the many areas of the USA stricken with unbearable heat/drought. 

2011-08-18 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Congrats on races and events completed folks... good stuff.

I was thinking about signing up for a tri race in October, but with the start of the semester, and the travel required (and hence money required) to race I've decided to skip out on the race.    Feeling pretty bummed about that.  However, I've picked a 10km run for September, will probably pick another couple for October and November with the goal of competing in the Taipei Marathon in December.  I'll only be doing a half... but that is MUCH more than I've ever run before.  Pretty excited about that.

Also, on Wednesday I swam 2100 meters... and felt good after doing it.

P.S. I just interviewed a teacher for my school.. he runs marathons with a PB of 2:58... Hopefully he will pass all the paperwork, and I'll have someone to "train" me in running!

2011-08-25 3:55 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang

I am back on the ice cube and back at work, I hope you have had a good time while I have been away.

The first week of my vacation it rained a lot so I did not get to bike as much as I wanted. The second week it was much better And I got some heat training in as it was way to warm for me, still I had my biggest training week ever last week with almost 23h.

Now I will just relax and take it easy until my A-race next Sunday a HIM in Cologne, Germany, and then the season should be over for me.

Anybody doing some late summer races ?

2011-08-26 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

My tri season is basically done. I have one 5K race scheduled in October and may pick up more throughout the winter.  I'm happy to have had the experience of a sprint tri in a pool and a "TRI-it" mini sprint with a lake OWS.  I now have an idea of what to expect and what I need to work on.  I plan to do the same two races next year and I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can improve.

Have a great weekend of training or racing!

Christi

2011-08-29 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody I hope you all had a good weekend.

Saturday I did a sprint tri (400m/10k/2,5k) Probabaly not the best thing to do as I have my A-race on Sunday but since it was so short, and we dont have that many races around here I did it anyway.
The swim went ok, it was a pool swim like all swims in Iceland are ! I did get a cramp under my foot just before the first turn, I dont really know why it came but it went away after I slowed down my kick. In the end it was an ok swim, not the fastest but I was ahead of my main competitors. Now the pool we swam in was new and it was build onto the old one. We had to go down a stair and then run out a side door to get to T1. The floor had some kind of anti skit surface and you could just run no problem. Then came 2 turns (like an S-bend) as you entered parts of the old pool, here they had put a carpet down in the middle, which was nice, but what I had not noticed before was that even though the floor looked the same, this part did not have that anti skit stuff ! So as i took the turn (fast) I put one foot on the outside of the carpet and when down, fast. One second I was on my feet, the next I was I was sliding into the wall. Luckily nothing happened and I was able to get up again, I dont know if that made me go faster, but I was very fast getting my stuff on in T1 and overtook the 2 people in front of me. The bike went ok, I kept my lead. As I went out of T2 the next guy came in and he was a bit closer then I would have liked. The first part of the run was uphill and I got over it without to much trouble. After 600m there was a left turn and I was able to look behind me and see the guy about 50m behind. At this point I thought I was going pretty fast and could not really see how I could increase my speed. Then as the road started going down a little bit I was able to increase my turnover rate and then something just clicked into place, I was running just under the red line (LT level) but somehow I was still in control. At the next turn, 7-800m later, I had opened up a huge gap. But since I was in the zone, I kept going, and even got the fastest run split of the day

This was probably the best run I have ever had in a Tri, I was not even tired afterward as I was able to run just under the red line. Now I am only hoping I will be able to run as well on sunday after a 90k bike.

I just found out that I will be starting with the pro/elite on sunday Including one ANDREAS RAELERT, number 2 in Hawaii last year, and this year he broke the IM world record !
I think I might very well be the last one out of the water, hopefully I can make up some places on the bike, but this will be a tough competition. Hopefully I will not get chicked, but might very well happen as there are some very fast women in there !!!!

2011-09-03 9:52 AM

Wow thats awesome mesteren it always good to compete with the best. Maybe youll even get to pick up a trick or two from them and youll be just like them next year. Remember to race your race though.

My season is pretty much over. No sprint tri in the area oh well next year get to go out again. Gonna have to pick a good winter maintenace plan soon so ill be faster next year.. 

2011-09-09 3:39 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang

I am back again

Things did not go as well as I would have liked in my HIM and I have been thinking a lot about it since I got home.
I will make a full Race report this time and post the link here later.

Since there have been so little activity here lately I am wondering if it is time to close the group down, most of you have finished race this year and and probably taking it a bit easier down, so the need for the group is not really there anymore.

What do you all think ???

You will of course always be welcome to ask me any questions you might have and I will try by best to help out.

As a last thing I thought we should make a list about what to and dont do in a Tri.

To add your own things just click "Quote" and take out the text on top so it will only be your comments and the last version of the list.

I will start :

Pre-race :
  • Check bike (Breaks, gears, chain, tires)
  • Get to the race early
  • Dont forget stuff, shoes, helmet and so
  • Bring enough clothes, it might start to rain or get cold later
  • Take a rest day 2 days before the race. The day before just light training with some pick ups to get the body going
  • Have fun Laughing
  • Know the race route, look at the maps before going to the race

SWIM :
  • Dont start to fast
  • Dont panic
  • Take long strokes and try to glide 
  • Find somebody to draft
  • Make sure to place yourself correctly in a mass start, being over ambitious can lead to bruises  

T1 :
  • Plan before race what you will do in T1
  • Put on sunglasses before helmet

BIKE :
  • Dont start to fast
  • Dont crash
  • If wet, avoid the white lines on the road and be very careful crossing railway tracks
  • Settle down before going into race-pace
T2:
  • Plan before race what you will do in T2

RUN :
  • Dont start to fast
  • Settle down before going into race-pace
  • Smile when crossing the finish line

After race :
  • Put on dry clothes (weather dependent)

This is a start you guys will probably have a lo more to add

2011-09-21 4:06 PM

One more after the race recommendation is eat and celebrate!!
2011-09-26 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3695583

Austin, TX

Hey Everyone!

Long time, no talk. Well, I have my third race coming up. I had wanted to do more this summer, but life decided to throw me some curveballs this summer that impacted my time and will to train. However, I decided to re-focus and do one late season race. I don't have any expectations since my training hasn't been as regular as it had been, so all I expect is to have fun. And then take a much needed break from races for a bit. Sort of toying with the idea of a half-marathon, but I don't know if I enjoy running for that long and for that far. Any tips on motivation would be appreciated. Hope everyone is healthy, happy, and doing what they love, whether that is training or not.  

-- Rebecca 

2011-09-27 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Hey everyone, sorry I've been kinda outta it for a while.

What's new.

1) Joined a local bike team/club... I have yet to ride with them, but they seem like a good crowd.  They keep talking about how I've made their humble little bike club international, being a foreigner and all.

2) Had my appendix out in an emergency surgery on Monday 9/12.  That kinda sucked.  It really ruined my long weekend, and threw a kink in race plans and what not.  I just started running again yesterday.

3) Since my appendix surgery I was wondering about my ability to do my half marathon in December... I'd decided to go with it, and just make some minor adjustments to my training plan when I found out my bike club is a sponsor of a local half marathon 3 weeks after my planned one... on January 8th.  So my brother and I are going to sign up for the local one instead, and will be able to completely finish our planned training schedule. BONUS!

4) I bought a new pair of sneakers... K-Swiss Kwicky Blade Lights.  Learning to run in them barefoot.

That about covers it.  Hoping to get on my bike and ride this Sunday!

2011-09-27 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3663377

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Mesteren - 2011-08-29 6:25 PM

I just found out that I will be starting with the pro/elite on sunday Including one ANDREAS RAELERT, number 2 in Hawaii last year, and this year he broke the IM world record !
I think I might very well be the last one out of the water, hopefully I can make up some places on the bike, but this will be a tough competition. Hopefully I will not get chicked, but might very well happen as there are some very fast women in there !!!!

This is pretty awesome, even if your race didn't go as well as you had hoped.  And on that note is everyone making plans for watching Kona?  I'm hoping it streams live, but since it begins at midnight in Taiwan I will definitely have to finish watching coverage a day or two later.

2011-10-11 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Hi everyone.  Thought I was done for the season, but I threw in a last minute sprint tri in my area when I found out about it with one week before the race.  It went ok, but i"m really motivated now to do better next year.

Strangely, my swim time was exactly the same as my swim in May.  The bike also the same minutes, but varied on the seconds.  I guess I'm consistent.

I need to increase my strength and have classes I can take to do that.  I'm going to add in spin classes to increase my high intensity aerobic capacity.  I hope to swim at least twice a week, but 3 times is goal.  I also plan to continue my karate class. I don't know how I'll fit it all in.  

Next year I will follow a training plan instead of just winging it.  Do I just start a plan when I'm the correct number of weeks out.....i.e., if it's a 12 week plan, then I start on it 12 weeks before my first race?  It seems like a silly question, but i plan on trying to do it right this year.

Thanks,

Christi

2011-10-18 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Hi everybody.

Sorry for being gone sooooooo long but I really needed a break. So I have had almost a month with no blogging or real training. Just doing a bit when ever I felt like it and just taking it very easy. Then when I though I should slowly start doiong something again I did a local 10k run, just to run, I did not want to push it just keeping a steady pace. The break did however that I felt my heart was working hard but surprisingly my leg where fine, so I actually ended up winning the race I was also lucky that no good runners where taking part. But the best part was that I won a years card to the local pool !!! Probably one of my best prices ever.

Then a week later I did another 10k, this time going steady out 5k, and then really going for it on the return. Did one of my best times ever so really happy and was thinking that with this base speed I am going to rock through the winther.

Then just as I was starting "real" training up again I got sick and have been out for a week with the flu

That is what happens, but the worse part is that in this week I have  lost all interest in training and are actually perfectly happy sitting on the couch doing nothing. So now instead of wanting to train I kind of have to force me back into it.

So to keep me motivated I have signed up for the Abu Dhabi Triathlon on Marts 3rd 1,5k/100k/10k

The distance should suit me fine with a very long bike. The probably will be the heat, I will be coming straight of 4-5 month on the trainer so it will be very interesting to see how that will go.

This is how I keep motivated, by having something to train towards, for me this give my training a purpose, as I always want to do my best whenever I race.

A 12 week program (or any other longer program for that matter) are designed in blogs. Normally 3 weeks where you add a little more training each week, followed by a recovery week. So to stretch the program just repeat one of these blogs (3-4weeks). Or simply do the same week twice

Just beware that sometimes it is ok to do more then the program says. I have seen a lot of beginner programs that starts with as little as 500m swimming. Now if you are comfortable swimming 30 min or more then that is just not enough.

So add time where necessary for it to fit your level

I hope everybody are still doing good will drop by over the next days and says hallo.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14