of 14

2011-01-05 5:55 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED

NAME: Mesteren / Torben

STORY:

I started doing tri´s about 5 years ago, as I wanted to try something new. It was quite hard as I really hated running and never ran. With time I have learn to accept it and sometimes I actually also enjoy it :) I had only started (learned) to swim a couple of years earlier, at that point it was swim to the other end of the pool and rest, last year I won the Icelandic OWS champion over 4k. It is not that I am good, it is just a very small competition :)

The only thing I could do before I started doing tri´s was biking, as I have always biked.

I love a challenge so after the sprint races I did an Olympic race, at that point just doing 1 of the distances along was hard, but I made it :) and that was a turning point, proofing to myself that I can do a lot more then I think I can. Since then I have done 2 marathons,

4 HIM and 2 IM.

I am back and ready to help whoever wants my help :)

I live in Iceland so I am very familiar with cold weather training !

FAMILY STATUS: married

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back in to it, but this year will probably be short races up to Olympic distance. With just one HIM (local race so have to do it)                             

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 4 sprints (1-2 in Germany) HIM Iceland. Maybe the European championships for age groupers over the Olympic distance

2010 RACES included: 2 sprints in Iceland + 2 sprints in Germany, HIM Iceland,

3k OWS, 2x TT´s and about 10 running races (5/10/21,1k)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:

I will do my best to help you achieve the goals you have. No matter if it is to complete your first tri, or do an Ironman. I can possible help you out with good advice.

There are NO stupid questions, so just ask away and I will do my best to answer it.

I welcome anyone and everyone to my mentor group. I can't wait to watch everyone succeed in their goals!

Edited by Mesteren 2011-05-01 11:43 AM

2011-04-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - OPEN

Hello,

Well that sounds like a solid plan. Join a group hosted by an European mentor. Here is my story:

Name: Stijn

Residence: Utrecht, the Netherlands

Family status: Single

Current traing: I joined a tri club in January this year where I train each discipline once a week based on their program. Besides that I try to do each discipline once more (Mostly long sessions) a week. I'm not into a strict program besides that which I do love to be in. At least I want to structure my "home work" training.

Planned races: Below my planned races for this year. Yes I now my first one is tomorrow (weeeee)

Planned races:
- (D) 04/09: Swin - Run (500m, 5km) 5th zwemloop "de Drietip". @ Neunen

- (C) 04/25: Run (5km) Jaarbeurs Utrecht Stads Marathon
- (C) 05/21: Tri (500m, 20km, 5km) Ballast-Nedam Tirathlon Krimpenerwaard
- (C) 06/25: Tri (500m, 20km, 5km) ROC Friese Poort Triathlon Friesland
- (C) 07/16: Tri (500m, 20km, 5km) 5th C1000 triathlon Klazinaveen
- (B) 08/06: Tri (500m, 20km, 5km) Schotsmantriatlon
- (A) 08/27: Tri (750m, 20km, 5km) Triathlon Maarssen
- (C) 09/04: Tri (1000m, 40km, 10km) Rutbeek Triathlon Enschede

- (A) 09/18: Tri (1000m, 40km, 10km) Flanders Fields Triathlon Ieper 2011
- (B) 09/25: Run (10km) ABN AMRO singelloop Utrecht

(A): Prime races of season

(B): Important races/ test cases
(C): Fun races/ Orientation
(D): Pure training support

My goals: Beside being able to finish all these races I want to keep having fun doing so. In regard to the prime races I plan to set Personal Record goals once I've finished some sprints to give me a clue what is achievable. Further more I work on an overall weightloss of 100lbs (I'm currently around the half way mark). Though I have no real deadline on it I do hope to achieve it somewhere around the end of 2011.

Looking for:Basically I'm looking for motivation and a place to read about and write about the typical encounters in tri training working to the first big race of the carreer. Furthermore I feel I can discuss about training approach here as well. Both on a theoratical level as how to deploy it in practice. In regard to training planning I have bought the triathlon bible and I am planning to read it in the next couple of months to guide me in setting up a solid plan.

Cheers

Stijn

2011-04-08 6:30 PM

Austin, TX

Hello Mesteren, 

I read your bio and can relate to what you said about proving to yourself that you can do a a lot more than you think you can. In the last three years, I've completely changed my lifestyle from sedentary to active. I had started with running, and then got into spinning/cycling in the last year. I own a basic road bike, but suits my current needs. I am very new to swimming, in that I learned form/breathing when I was a child and slowly re-discovering these skills. I'd appreciate any advice/inspirations/thoughts you can offer to an American who appreciates international perspectives! 

Name: Rebecca

Location: Austin, Texas ( the not so scary part of the state)

Training: 5-7 hours/week

Planned Events:

I have my first "Rookie" super sprint (300m swim/11m(18km)bike/2m(3km) run) in nine days. I feel ready, and looking forward to establishing my baseline. I enjoy the training, and hope to keep building my endurance. 

I anticipate doing a Sprint soon after, and if I really feel ready, an Olympic in the fall. Austin, Texas hosts A LOT of tri events, so I have many to pick and choose from.  

2011-04-09 9:33 AM

User image

Dayton OH

WOW,

This is truly a great idea. I really appreciate you volunteering to help some beginners with some advice.

I was an active kid (ie bike riding, soccer, football) until I turned 16 or so and had a knee accident that I really never recovered from. I am 27 years old now and although my knee is completely healed I am still trying to gain back that love for being active again. I ran my first 5k a couple weeks back and LOVED IT! 

Name: Joel

Training Ground: Dayton Ohio

Training Time: 10-14 hrs/week

Planned Races:

Flying Pig 10k April 30

Summit Lake Optimist Triathlon Olympic distance July 16

Indianapolis Memorial Marathon Nov. 5

Current Training:

I am loosely following a Halhigdon.com beginner marathon training program. I just bought a new bike and have been logging about 40 miles a week on it.  I am a student at Wright State University. So, I thought to take advantage of some school resources and take a swimming class twice a week for some professional training. I also do strength training 2x a week.

My goals:

My first goal is to NOT get injured. Another is to make sure that I attend and finish the above events. I know very little what to expect of my performance in the triathlon but I do hope to run a 4 hr marathon in nov. 

2011-04-09 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody

I guess the mentor group is up and running now

Stijn : good luck on your race today, lets on know how it went.
It looks like you have a good race plan for the summer.
Nothing beats race experience, so when the time comes for your A-races you will know what to expect and you should have your race pace down
And if you keep going it will not take long before you reach your weightloss goal

Rebecca in Texas......You probably have it nice and warm there and can bike outside !
I could be a bit jealous. So far I have only biked outside 2 times this year
Well hopefully it will change soon.
I am sure you swimming form will come soon, having learn it as a child is a big advantage.
I am sure that after your super sprint you will be hooked and ready to do a lot more races

Joel : "My first goal is to NOT get injured" Makes perfect sense and is very wise. I know a person who did an IM and his goal was to finish no matter what. He actually said that if he would not be able to run again after the IM he would be ok with that, as long as he did it !!!! I can understand the desire to do an IM or other extrema events BUT, if you get injured doing it, it is not worth it.

A marathon is a big thing but you have a program and time so there is no reason why you should not be able to do it and have fun doing it

Everybody please log all your workouts and make some comments about how it went.
This way you will get more inspires, but more important you can always go back and see what you did and if you did something new how it worked out. It dose not have to be detailed in anyway, the only person who need to understand it is you. But it should still be so if you go back in a year to look at it you should still be able to understand it.

Else I hope you all will have a great weekend

2011-04-09 10:27 PM

Hello all, first tri-here. Motivations: Recently turned 40 & since 39th lost over 150 lbs, returning to my high school weight.  Was always an athlete, but the "big guy" type athlete. Remember dad competing in triathlons and basically just got a wild hair this past winter to do a triathlon.

After doing some research and finding BT.com, I decided for sure I wanted to do a triathlon.

Have ran, weight trained and cycled on and off my entire life.  Have always particpated in aquatic activities but never in a true swimming capacity. Had a pool in the yard growing up and lots of time at the beach/river/lake. With that background, I was a little surprised at my lack of swimming fitness when I started in on a swim training program found here on BT. But after 5 weeks of training I can see the benefits of base training.

I have plenty of time to prepare for my first tri in august for which I have pre-registered. Probably way to much time but I have no control over that. Life's schedule has allowed me to register in just one race this season, maybe a second in September. But even just 1 sprint tri, gives me another challenge, something to look forward to and purpose in my training. 

2011-04-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3438172

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Welcome to the group jrlong.
First congratulations on your weight loss, 150lbs That is HUGE !!! Awesome absolutely awesome.
With your background it sounds like you are ready to do a Tri tomorrow
You have a lot of time to fine tuned everything over the summer
I hope your schedule will change a bit so you will get a chance to do another race over the summer. Or maybe just go and watch a race.

Actually that is something you should all do before your first race. If you have a chance go see a race just to see how everything is set up and get a feel for the atmosphere. Normally there will be a lot of nervous people before the start and a lot of very happy and proud people when it is done. Therefore the atmosphere afterwords is just fantastic as everybody are just so happy

jrlong where are you from ?
2011-04-10 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3438359

NAME: Nicki

STORY:

Well I'm a new mom, our baby is six months, so took a year of doing tri's. Figured need something just for me. I did 2 tri a tri before in 2009. So I figured a sprint tri would be a good goal for this summer and maybe an olympic by the fall. Like you mesteren I'm a terrible runner I end running and and then walking and then running and walking (Its bad). As a former swimmer swimming is my strong suit. I'm a dutch transplant into Ontario Canada, which maybe nice for the other dutchy in here Smile. So yeah I'm still riding the bike on the trainer too, which least to say sucks cause the scenery stinks in my front porch lol. 

FAMILY STATUS: In a relationship

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting ready for a sprint tri. Trying to become a better runner.                             

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

Subaru Huntsville Sprint Triathlon June 25

Wasaga Beach Olympic September 10th

And whatever else I may feel like

2011-04-10 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
I'd be interested in joining... I'll add details soon.
2011-04-11 3:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

OK, here goes.

Name: DuncanQH - Duncan Quinlivan-Hall

Story: Nothing overly special.  I'm a Canadian who's been living in Taiwan for the last 10 years.  I was very active throughout school, and played on many school teams.  I coached Volleyball and springboard diving for a couple years.  When I was 21 I left Canada and moved to Taiwan to teach English for a year or two.  Been here ever since.  While in Taiwan, I've played badminton and softball on and off, but never done any serious exercise.

Beginning in August last year (when I found BT) I started training for a Triathlon.  Earlier in the summer I had finally gotten upset with myself over how much weight I had put on.  Although nothing serious, I did have a decent sized gut, and from my family of 8 was now the biggest.  I had been doing an evening jog maybe twice a week for a couple months leading up to August.  One day, I noticed an old post it I had stuck above my desk about 2 years ago with the distances for an Olympic Tri.  I found BT, signed up, and began logging workouts, which has really helped keep me motivated.

In January of this year, I competed in my first race since high school.  It was a local duathlon.  A 21km bike ride followed by a 5km trail run, and then a 9km road run. (I know, strange set up)  Leading up to the race my longest long run was 8km, and so I was a little worried about completing 14km.  I achieved both of my goals.  The first was to finish (4 hour cut off) , and second was in under 3 hours. I did it in 2:41.

Family: Married with 2 daughters, 6 years and a 3 month old.

Current training: Doing what I can when I can... kinda haphazard, but I can't work around a regular schedule, too much other stuff.  My logs are up to date.

Races 2011: I just sent in my registration for a Triathlon on 6/19.  It's gonna be my first 'Tri'.  Signed up for the Olympic distance.  Might sign up for a race in October, and maybe do a half mary in December.

That's it in a nutshell...  What I'm looking for is somewhere to ask questions when they come up, and possibly for some people to help calm my nerves about the open water swim component coming up in June.

2011-04-11 9:57 AM

User image

New user

Hi there my name is Steve,

I am a 54 year old beginner. I have been traing since Sept 20, 2010. I ran a half marathon in February and completed my first Sprint Tri on March 6th, 2011.

I am currently training for the Vancouver Half Iron that will take place on July 3, 2011. Not feeling particularly confident in this moment.

As for training I currently swim Monday, Thursday and Saturday, bike Tuesday and Friday, and run Wednesday and Saturday. I also do the occasional bric on Friday or Saturday depending on my work schedule.

I am married with 4 kids, 3 of which still live at home.

Looking forward to meeting the rest of this group.

Steve

2011-04-11 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Did my intro post make it here? Not seeing it... reposting, apology if duplicated.

Name: Heather

Story: I'm another who's been working on weight for a while and has lost quite a bit. I toyed with the idea of triathlon last year, testing my swimming and biking and running abilities during my regular workouts a bit but not really committing to it.  Major health problems in the fall (4 surgeries, 3 months - only one of which was planned), recovered and ready to train in January. I've been training with a BT program since then. March was a bad month (we found out about and my partner is in treatment for cancer-his needs have taken priority over training for a while), but I have been pretty consistent other than that. I am determined and committed to my program. I thought this year I would limit myself to sprints, although I am toying with the idea of an Oly in August.

I've never "had" a sport before, incidentally, and certainly nothing in which the sport counted as a competition. I like to bike, have been a good swimmer all my life in any kind of water (I grew up on islands and peninsulas all over the world), loved racquetball in college, but would never have considered myself an athlete even before I slowed down and put on weight.

Being in a mentor group with a cold-weather mentor is not a bad idea, I think, even though we are moving into the warm season here in Alaska. I appreciated that and in fact it's what drew me to this group.

Family: Partner+ 2 boys aged 10 and 13 + several four-legged furpeople.

Current training: BT training program, participated in one of the winter mentor groups. I work out 5-6 days a week. Swim is usually 2x-week for an hour with a Masters group and frequently an extra swim on the weekend when I take the kids to the pool. I thoroughly enjoy swimming. Bike has just gone outside as the ice came off the roads a week or so ago. A typical ride last year would have been 12 miles, a long one 27 miles. Saturday my training ride was 16 miles (road bike vs mountain bike...makes a lot of difference!) and I anticipate they'll get longer this year. I love to ride! I try to run every other day and have been improving gradually - still the runs are only 2-3 miles each. Running is my weakest area by far and the one I like the least, but I will be just fine for the sprints I have planned in May and June.

Oh...I got a new ride last weekend. My first ever nice/new bike, it's a medium-level road bike.

Races 2011:

May 7, '11 Polar Bear Pink Cheeks Triathlon, Seward, 5/10/900 - first sprint. It's supposed to be a fun event, not high-pressure. I was planning to do a different one (Gold Nugget), but the registration closed so fast that I didn't get in. The configuration of this one is a little weird.

June 12 Tri the Kenai - registered for this one already. It's a more typical 500/10/5 sprint and it's close to where I live.

July 18  Northern Aquatics Sprint Triathlon - Chena, 500/10/5.

August 7 Northern Trust Oly - Anchorage

Sept 3 Homer Mariner Triathlon, Homer,  1000M/15/5.

Possibly assorted short running races in between.

Goals: My primary goal is fitness. To stay fit I need not to get hurt and I need goals to work toward. Triathlon is ideal in several ways - always room for improvement, always interesting, workouts don't get boring (though occasionally they are tedious, I suppose). I'd like to finagle some time to add in more stretching and strength training. I like weights and lifted all last year, but cardio took over when I started becoming tri-focused. It is helpful to have a mentor group as I mostly work solo. I need to finish my weight-loss, but as long as I'm working out regularly and eating properly it should come along.

Cheers!  I think that is all for now.

Edited by calluna 2011-04-11 12:12 PM
2011-04-11 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

This looks like a great group, I'd love to join!

Name:  Holly Walker.  I'm in Oklahoma City, OK.

Story:  This will be my 4th year doing triathlon.  I will race my first HIM this year and maybe my first full as well.  We have a pretty good tri-community here in Oklahoma and it gets bigger every year.  I only wish we had a few more cyclist-friendly roads around.

Family Status:  Married - going on 16 years now.  We have a 12 yo son and 2 dogs (great dane & german shephard)

Current Training:  I have major consistency issues!  While I'm really good at planning my workouts out for the week, I'm not so good at following the plan.  I try to get something done 6 days/week, but it doesn't always end up that way.

2011 Races:  I am signed up for the Kansas 70.3 in June.  Depending on how that goes, I will do a full or another 1/2 in September at the Redman in Oklahoma. 

Goals:  Consistency, consistency, consistency!!!!  I work in a law firm full of runners, cyclists and one other triathlete.  My bosses are understanding when it comes to taking a long luch and coming in early or late due to a long workout.  So there is no excuse.

2011-04-11 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
WOW !

It looks like this is going to be a GREAT group

First welcome to Nicki, Duncan, Steve, Heather and Holly.
I think you will fit in very well here

I am very happy to see that you have all set yourself goals for the season, it shows me that you are serious about this.
I will do my best to help you out the best I can. Well actually I hope we will be able to help each other out and make some good friendships.
We are all working towards achieving new goals and in this process you will encounter both highs and lows. I want you to feel that you can come here and talk about both. We (the whole group) will celebrate your highs and comfort you when you are down, no matter what, you are not alone

I will drop by your blogs over the next days give you all a more personal welcome

In other news, we are still waiting to hear from Stijn (Niezels) how his duathlon went on Saturday

And please drop by Rebecca (rtakahshi) and wish her good luck as she will be doing her first  Tri on Sunday !!!

Edited by Mesteren 2011-04-11 3:49 PM
2011-04-11 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Thanks for the warm welcome Mesteren.

Looking forward to seeing some race reports linked or posted here soon!

2011-04-11 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3441012

Hey thanks for welcome thats great. Nice reading about everyone else as well, I see this group is gonna be lots of fun. Happy training everyone. 

2011-04-12 5:39 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

With the delay a recap on my first swim-run. A small race nearby my old home town. On my distance we had 35 contenders divided over 7 swimming lanes which was the cap. Though it was small it was very well organized including a sweet run course to the center of the village and back meaning you would pass some bars and restaurants (leading to more spectators).

This race was scheduled for me to be a training. Meaning I would have no other goal then to enter, finish, experience and have fun. Simply I wanted to have some idea of race stress on a race including 2 discplines before I would enter my first tri. And see what my weak spots are.

And looking back it was huge!. In all aspects of its term. It was huge fun as it was hard. I knew I could do ok in the swim as long as I wouldn't stress. Guess what I did stress and started way to fast. Burning massive amount of energy. By the time I finished 150M I was clueless on how I could finish the swim, left alone the run that would follow. At 200M I decided to mix up my stroke between 50m breaststroke and 50m freestyle. I was lucky I got lapped by the leader of the lane as I was able to stay in his slipstream. 11m23s later I was done with the swim feeling like I just swam a marathon.

I recall my transition going great. It inluded putting on my shoes without sock (luckily I trained this which worked out great) and taking my jacket on which my racenumber was pinned. In my process getting outside I would put it on while running. Only small setback I had there was that my jacket got caught behind the corner of a bench which pulled me back. This took me a few seconds. Overall I passed everyone who was already in transition when I got there.

Leaving the pool for the run the first K was a buit of a blur. Having a Heartrate up to 100% I do recall not being all to sure if I would finish. After the 1K I decided I would take it by the lap (course had 3 laps 1.2, 1.9, 1,9K). By the end of the second lap I felt recovered from the swim and was confident I would finish. Maintaining current speed wasn't an issue anymore. Ramping up the speed was still an issue. Which was sad since I knew I was being caught up by someone else (the course had a part of out and back where you could see who was behind you). He passed me around the 3.7K point and catching up with him wasn't an option.

The last 600m did get interesting as I realized that gap with the guy in front of me wasn't that big (80m). So I decided to put in a 500m sprint. I nearly did close the gap to have him realize I was trying to beat him. So he went for it as well. A fun sprint to the line where he beat me. My end time 41:51.

Totally exhausted I was feeling proud of my result and very happy I did enter realizing the fun I did have despite the stress, doubts and pain.

I know what to work on towards my first tri but I'm confident I will be ready by then.

Stijn

2011-04-12 5:56 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

In regard to training. I had a fun moment yesterday on my bike.

While I was on my regular track to do my workout (which was a 10K flat out give it what yoy can time trail) another bike just got on the same road in front of me. He clearly looked like willing to catch on to me after I passed him so he could speeds as well while I would catch his wind.

Great thing was that he was only able to do so for about 200m at which he had to give up. Nice to know that although I eat dust of all my teammates during team training I am trained enough to beat others (non super triathletes).

for the illustration: I have the luxury to train with a tri club that is back to back national champion. And I train together with current leader of the men and women. And damm those two go fast D

2011-04-12 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Sounds like you had a good race Niezels.  I wish there were more events happening around here that I could sign up for to gain a little experience.  There isn't many races avaliable in Taiwan (and I don't have time for many of the few that are offered.)  Guess I'll have to learn as I go in my first real Tri.
2011-04-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3441525

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Niezels - 2011-04-12 5:39 AM

With the delay a recap on my first swim-run. A small race nearby my old home town. On my distance we had 35 contenders divided over 7 swimming lanes which was the cap. Though it was small it was very well organized including a sweet run course to the center of the village and back meaning you would pass some bars and restaurants (leading to more spectators).

This race was scheduled for me to be a training. Meaning I would have no other goal then to enter, finish, experience and have fun. Simply I wanted to have some idea of race stress on a race including 2 discplines before I would enter my first tri. And see what my weak spots are.

And looking back it was huge!. In all aspects of its term. It was huge fun as it was hard. I knew I could do ok in the swim as long as I wouldn't stress. Guess what I did stress and started way to fast. Burning massive amount of energy. By the time I finished 150M I was clueless on how I could finish the swim, left alone the run that would follow. At 200M I decided to mix up my stroke between 50m breaststroke and 50m freestyle. I was lucky I got lapped by the leader of the lane as I was able to stay in his slipstream. 11m23s later I was done with the swim feeling like I just swam a marathon.

I recall my transition going great. It inluded putting on my shoes without sock (luckily I trained this which worked out great) and taking my jacket on which my racenumber was pinned. In my process getting outside I would put it on while running. Only small setback I had there was that my jacket got caught behind the corner of a bench which pulled me back. This took me a few seconds. Overall I passed everyone who was already in transition when I got there.

Leaving the pool for the run the first K was a buit of a blur. Having a Heartrate up to 100% I do recall not being all to sure if I would finish. After the 1K I decided I would take it by the lap (course had 3 laps 1.2, 1.9, 1,9K). By the end of the second lap I felt recovered from the swim and was confident I would finish. Maintaining current speed wasn't an issue anymore. Ramping up the speed was still an issue. Which was sad since I knew I was being caught up by someone else (the course had a part of out and back where you could see who was behind you). He passed me around the 3.7K point and catching up with him wasn't an option.

The last 600m did get interesting as I realized that gap with the guy in front of me wasn't that big (80m). So I decided to put in a 500m sprint. I nearly did close the gap to have him realize I was trying to beat him. So he went for it as well. A fun sprint to the line where he beat me. My end time 41:51.

Totally exhausted I was feeling proud of my result and very happy I did enter realizing the fun I did have despite the stress, doubts and pain.

I know what to work on towards my first tri but I'm confident I will be ready by then.

Stijn

Great report!  Sounds like fun. 

2011-04-12 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday morning!!  This was one of those mornings where I really, really, really had to talk myself into getting out of bed and to the pool.  I did and ended up having a pretty good swim.  Banged out 2800 yards and feel better for it!  Wink

~Holly

2011-04-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3441525

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
CONGRATULATIONS STIJN

Great race, and thank you for a very detailed race report
You have now tried 2 of the hardest things in this sport ! Stating to fast on the swim and the transition from swim to run.
It is increadible hard to hold back on the swim, but the key is to control the first 50m (especialy in the pool) I am not saying to go slow, but by taking it down 2-3% and really focus on keeping a good form with long strokes. This way you will be more relaxed and being relaxed in the pool means you will actually go faster But again it is very hard do as you are full of energy and really want to get going. I have only ever managed to do it perfectly 1 time. I was parsing a lot of people on the last 200m (500m swim) and was so mentaly relaxed I was already concentrating on the bike before getting out of the pool. Had I not controlled it I might have gone 10s faster but then I would have been on the red line even before the bike.

Swim to run transition are painful, there are no other way to describe it.
You did really well to get through it. And next time you will know what to expect and it will be easier
And great job on the transition

2011-04-12 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3442126

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
It is so hard to get out of bed in the morning, but once you get a routine going it dose get a lot easier. I hate to get up in the morning, on the weekends I never workout until after lunch, but to fit everything in around my schedule I have started swim with the Tri club 2 mornings a week. So now every wednesday and friday I start swimming at....5:50AM The good thing is that you are done with a workout before you really wake up The down side is that friday evening I am normally in bed my 10 because I am so tired. But I have been doing this for 3 month now and I dont even think about it any more it is just something I do.

No matter what you do, once you get a routine going, it will be so much easier.
Dont think about it just DO IT
2011-04-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3442721

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Mesteren - 2011-04-12 2:12 PM It is so hard to get out of bed in the morning, but once you get a routine going it dose get a lot easier. I hate to get up in the morning, on the weekends I never workout until after lunch, but to fit everything in around my schedule I have started swim with the Tri club 2 mornings a week. So now every wednesday and friday I start swimming at....5:50AM The good thing is that you are done with a workout before you really wake up The down side is that friday evening I am normally in bed my 10 because I am so tired. But I have been doing this for 3 month now and I dont even think about it any more it is just something I do.

No matter what you do, once you get a routine going, it will be so much easier.
Dont think about it just DO IT

Words to train by!  I almost always feel better once I get going. 

Hopped on the bike after work this eveing and got in about 25 miles.  Wished it would have been longer, we had amazing weather here in OK today......did not want to come back inside!  It's not very often we get a gorgeous spring day with hardly any wind.

2011-04-12 11:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Alaska
We had a gorgeous spring day today also. It was 47F (8C) and sunny, not too much wind. I didn't have a bike on my schedule today but I grabbed my bike and #1 son and went out for an hour anyway. Very easy pace (it feels very good to be able to outbike a 13 year old with my HR average in Zone 2!) and I had plenty of juice left for my swim tonight.

Edited by calluna 2011-04-12 11:46 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14