BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-12-12 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3933785

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

Paul,

That is sounds like a great way to enjoy coffee. For me, anything below about 60 means I need hot coffee, sometimes during the run.

Your maintenance plan of 2x per week sounds good. I need to start building biking back into my plan, but i probably won't start swimming again till January.

Did my first training sessions where I tried to judge recovery. Did 3 runs in about 24 hours for a total of 20 miles. I felt good, but I have the beginnings of some aches and pains. Will probably do it again next weekend, so this week will be mostly easy and a good opportunity to get on my bike!

2011-12-12 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3935068

User image

Carmel

Eli:

Judging recovery sounds very interesting - and useful. Please post your opinion of how it works for you. I use the bike as recovery/training. I've found, during the marathon training, run 10-20 on Sat, then ride 15-21 on Sun (usually on my MTB) I generally felt ok and ready run come Monday or Tuesday. The bike really helped the legs recover.

Thanks

Paul

2011-12-13 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

NH

Paul - 15 degrees sounds tough for early December!  Coffee must taste pretty nice after that run.  We've had a crazy warm early winter here in New England, though it's finally starting to get more seasonal.

That biking sounds about right - I am trying to follow the Jorge plan, but three rides is tough for me while I build running.  I’m focused on using the 3:2:1 plan to really build up running and see if I can nail a half in early spring.  Sometimes the legs just say enough, and at my advanced age I’m learning it’s best to let them have a little rest.  Since my real goal is to build up the run over the winter and stay healthy, I want to be sure to hit my running goals and hopefully keep the bike at least at maintenance.

2011-12-13 10:24 AM

User image

Master

Switching to multiple days in a row of running is a switch for me, but we have an ultra relay, so I am trying to see what my legs can handle.

One thing I have found is that I don't get nearly as much muscle soreness if I have been working my legs with squats and the like at the gym. The gym work makes my legs sore the next day, but I use the bike to spin that out. My legs usually don't get as sore unless I really push for an extra long run, which I do less often, since I am running shorter faster runs.

It seems to be working so far.

2011-12-19 1:46 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

We have gone archival!

The new mentor groups are getting set up, and I am starting another one. See you on the boards!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20