General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike Route around Lake Lavon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-06 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: New Bike Route around Lake Lavon

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=148752

For those looking for a place to ride with low traffic, smooth roads, and no stop lights this may be the place for you. If you have to drive out there, there is a gas station on the corner of 1378/Country Club and Lucas Road that you can park at and ride from there. Lucas Road is asphault with wide shoulders on both sides. When you turn south on 982 it is chipseal, but it is pretty smooth for chipseal. Going north, on 982, it is brand new aspault with a nice shoulder to ride on. They still have to complete about the last 1/2 mile before you get to 380. The out-and-back on 3364 is asphault also. It also has a nice shoulder just not as wide as on Lucas Road. The only thing you may not like about it, it is completely exposed to the wind. In my opinion, it is pretty flat also.

2011-01-06 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3282238

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: New Bike Route around Lake Lavon

This is great.  It's close to my house in Rowlett.  I just need to try and find a route to get there on the bike.

2011-01-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3282303

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Craig ..
 have you  ( or Tommy or anyone) been north of 380 on the old celina loop lately?  has that chipseal worn down at all??
2011-01-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3282376

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Since they ruined 1385 and 455, I have only been out there a few times and it has been well over a year.

2011-01-06 11:51 PM
in reply to: #3282430

User image

Rowlett, TX
David, if you take Elm Grove to Vinson, to 544, then Ballard/Sachse will get you north and turn into Parker.

I'm making it sound tougher than it really is.  Let me know if you want to ride this Saturday morning. We could meet up at the Race Track on 66 and Chiesa and ride over there.  If you want to ride this, I'd like to do it early morning if possible.  Anyone else wanna join in?

Docshock, thanks for the route.  Looks great!

Steve
2011-01-07 9:52 AM

User image

Regular

I can't ride this Saturday cause I'm getting fit done on my roadie and tri bike.  I would like to work this in for sure.  I may try it Sunday.  I've been out that direction once before and took Parker/FM2514.  Wasn't the best experience.  Lots of traffic on a 2 way road with no shoulder.  I'll try again and see if it was a fluke

2011-01-07 2:56 PM

User image

Regular

Looks like I'm not trying it Sunday either... Looks like rain/cold coming in.

2011-01-08 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Do you really feel safe on Lucas Rd? I rode on it once and was pretty scared with the high speed traffic. Even with the wide shoulders. I do think the view while crossing the bridge is nice though. Once you get off Lucas and on to the other roads you pointed out, it is a really nice riding area.

As far as getting there, there are lots of routes north. Just stay off of Ballard, 2514, and Country Club/1378. Those are all two lane, high speed roads. From Rowlett, I would suggest Elm Grove, then right on Pleasant Valley, then right on Merritt, then left on Sachse Rd. for short bit and right on Bailey. Then, cross Hwy 78 and it turns into Ranch Rd. Take this, then right on Dewitt/McCreary, then stay on that until you make a right on Parker, then a left on Stinson. From this point, you have access to any where north like McKinney, or Princeton.
2011-01-08 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3287129

User image

Rowlett, TX
I rode part of this route this morning.  Actually, only the Lucas Rd part.  I only had time for a couple hours, so had to cut things short before riding 982 or 3364.  I've only really used a short part of Lucas for getting up to Lowry Crossing and Princeton in the past, glad to get a reminder of it, it's a nice area.

I took Country Club and didn't find it too bad, although it was low traffic at the time.  I'm sure there are times when it's bad.  Now that I look at McCreary and Stinson, they look like a better choice, thanks Tikicult.

Steve
2011-01-09 12:44 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

tikicult - 2011-01-08 5:42 PM Do you really feel safe on Lucas Rd? I rode on it once and was pretty scared with the high speed traffic. Even with the wide shoulders. I do think the view while crossing the bridge is nice though. Once you get off Lucas and on to the other roads you pointed out, it is a really nice riding area. As far as getting there, there are lots of routes north. Just stay off of Ballard, 2514, and Country Club/1378. Those are all two lane, high speed roads. From Rowlett, I would suggest Elm Grove, then right on Pleasant Valley, then right on Merritt, then left on Sachse Rd. for short bit and right on Bailey. Then, cross Hwy 78 and it turns into Ranch Rd. Take this, then right on Dewitt/McCreary, then stay on that until you make a right on Parker, then a left on Stinson. From this point, you have access to any where north like McKinney, or Princeton.

I have never had any problems on Lucas Road. Although, my long ride day is Monday and I would be on that road around 10am when traffic is minimal.

2011-01-10 3:14 PM

User image

Regular

tikicult - 2011-01-08 5:42 PM Do you really feel safe on Lucas Rd? I rode on it once and was pretty scared with the high speed traffic. Even with the wide shoulders. I do think the view while crossing the bridge is nice though. Once you get off Lucas and on to the other roads you pointed out, it is a really nice riding area. As far as getting there, there are lots of routes north. Just stay off of Ballard, 2514, and Country Club/1378. Those are all two lane, high speed roads. From Rowlett, I would suggest Elm Grove, then right on Pleasant Valley, then right on Merritt, then left on Sachse Rd. for short bit and right on Bailey. Then, cross Hwy 78 and it turns into Ranch Rd. Take this, then right on Dewitt/McCreary, then stay on that until you make a right on Parker, then a left on Stinson. From this point, you have access to any where north like McKinney, or Princeton.

That last part is great info.  Thanks a bunch.  I could never find a great way to get up north.  Can't wait to give this a try.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike Route around Lake Lavon Rss Feed