BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-07-07 11:53 PM
in reply to: #3579805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED
peteacher - 2011-07-04 8:38 AM

holt1997 - 2011-06-26 10:53 PM
Wesley12 - 2011-06-24 6:55 PM I haven't signed up for the Augusta 70.3 yet but I will.  I've been using plans from BT and will probably use another or some variation of one from here to prepare.  My biggest concern is the nutrition.  Not only my everyday diet but also what would be needed on race day.  I've heard all kinds of things from the chomps to the gels and everything in between.  Any advice on the nutrition would be greatly appreciated.
ahhh nutrition. What a huge topic with so many answers. On this topic What I think works best is if we just share what works best for us and you experiment with it all and figure out what works for you. One thing I have done in the past that works as far as hydration is weigh myself before a longer run. Then weigh myself after. Then subtract out the water I drank. The number you come up with is about how much you need to drink to keep hydrated. For example I ran for an hour and drank a quart of water (weighs about 2.1 pounds) and I weighed 210 starting and weighed 208 at the end. I would then know I need to drink about 4 pounds of water per hour to stay completely hydrated while running (FYI a gallon of water weighs about 8.4 pounds per gallon). You can do the same for the bike and swim. Knowing your body's hydration needs is very important. I think you can get by with minimal gels etc but without hydration you will crash and hard. I also know that hydrating during the swim is pretty much impossible except by accidental mouthfuls but knowing your hydration deficit when getting on the bike is helpful. You do sweat when swimming. As far as gels etc and race day food I start about 3 days ahead of time and drink about 64 ozs per day of gatorade (or whatever works for you). The electrolytes are very important in your muscle work of your body so don't start the race behind on these. Then on race day morning I have a protein shake about 3 hours before the race starts along with a banana and some toast with peanut butter. Then 10 minutes before the race (no more or less) I have a gel. After this I won't have much more until about half way through the bike. Then I have two more gels. During the run I usually have 1 or 2 towards the start and 2 more during the middle and then drop my water bottle and give it my all for the last bit. If you think that the gels may not be enough then I recommend a few boiled potatos on the bike. They go a long way but myself I cannot digest them due to stomach issues. Hope that makes sense. There is a lot more to this but this may be a good start. Thoughts anyone? Scott

Okay, here is my question Scott:  What distance would you be racing for this use of gel? 

This use of gel and nutrition in general is for a half iron (70.3).

For a sprint I take one gel 10 minues before the swim start, same with the olympic. Otherwise I find that if I hydrate correctly the days before then I can do well on just a little gatorade on the bike.

2011-07-07 11:57 PM
in reply to: #3584618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
agrant3 - 2011-07-07 8:20 AM

sdejan - 2011-06-30 3:15 PM

I had a HUGE case of nerves the night before my last tri - total "I can't do this" panic.  I had an awesome time once it started.  You will too!  Take the time in the next couple weeks to swim as much as you can - mostly to reassure yourself more than to build endurance.  Race day will give you adrenaline to work with in addition to your training fitness, so you'll have no trouble finishing.  What's the worst that can happen - you walk a bit during the run.  Not the end of the world.

I did a mock tri once but didn't do the full run.  The Y had a very small track and it just got too boring to continue.  But it did a lot to boost my confidence.

Well I did my Mock Tri on Tuesday.  I finished it, but man it was tiring!! LOL.  I took at a little slower pace, and took long transition times to help break it up and refuel so i didn't have any issues while being inside.

The hardest part was transitioning to the Run.  I was pretty beat by the run and had to do a walk/run combo in order to finish.  I even had to stop the run in order to stretch out my calves.  BUT i finished it so it did let me know that in a week and half I'll be able to finish that race.  I let myself take off yesterday and did nothing relating to working out.  I'm starting back up tonight for a couple of good training days ending on Sunday, with monday off as a recovery and then a few light taper days next week!

I can see the light!!!!!

The transition from bike to run was a killer for me when I first started. You do get used to it and your body will adapt.One thing that I was shown that really helped is to focus on keeping your heels down for the last mile of your bike ride. This stretches your calves out and makes the transition time much shorter for your legs. Just something else to try.

Scott
2011-07-07 11:59 PM
in reply to: #3584884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
peteacher - 2011-07-07 10:24 AM

agrant3 - 2011-07-07 10:24 AM
peteacher - 2011-06-20 12:06 PM

I also need some help/advice ;-)  I want to do an event on July 9th, (sprint distance) and I have a kunundrum.  My bike training is not where it should be and the ride is 16m.  The max I have done so far is 10.5.  Now I think I might be able to suck it up for the race cause let's face it, if I don't do this one I will never get this party started (this would be my first tri ever).   I know the golden rule is 10% but I am wondering if I push this week and see if I can even do 16 or something closer to it than 10.  I am not talking a full out, just as easy ride to find out what my limits are? 

I will leave it at that and see what you guys have to say.

What did you decide?  I'm sure you would be able to crank out that extra 5.5 in training.

I did end up cranking out 15.4, twice since then and they certainly were hard but I did them which was to me the biggest obstacle.  I did sign up for the race on July 9th and got an open water swim in at the site last week (was HUGE worry for me).  Reading all these posts about bikes makes me wish I had a nice bike but that is so far off in the distance that I will just live vicariously through all of you!!

Like I said, very first race ever in 2 days.  I am such a mix of emotions with the biggest being excitement.  The routes I ride/run are harder than the ones I have seen for the event so I feel my training was good and on track.  The water is warm and appears to be pretty "clean."  It is my impression that it is a well organized event and perfect for a first timer like me.  The weather appears to be on the warm side but a very low chance of rain, etc.  I feel like the only thing left to do besides put my stuff together in the car is to find a way to enjoy the next two days.....that has been a rare occasion for me (I am a little high strung!!).  It's chip timing so I will share my race report when I can!!

Its fun that you are excited for this race. Can't wait to read your race report and hear about your successes. Have fun!

Scott
2011-07-08 12:01 AM
in reply to: #3585891

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-07-07 8:37 PM

Peteacher, the most important thing to do is take a step back and just enjoy the race.  You're not out there to compete for the podium on your first race but just to complete the race.  It's quite a rush when you cross the finish line and realize you've just completed for first triathlon.  Even if it feels like your legs are going to fall off.  Another thing to be aware of is the fact that its kind of like a crack habit.  Once you get your first one under your belt, you'll be thinking about where your next one is going to be before you get home.  I did my first race on May 21st and I'll be doing my 4th race this Sunday.  I'll be doing a half ironman in Sept.  Just a fair warning before you drink the Kool-Aid. Laughing

I had a 10 minute improvement for my 2nd race to my 3rd race.  (Race 2 - 6 are at the same course in a 5 race series)  What helped me the most was staying calm during the swim.  When you first start, people will be swimming into and over you.  Get to the outside on the start and keep yourself calm.  If you can stay calm and control your breathing during the swim, you'll feel much better during your bike and run.  You can make it on the bike and run.  It's ok to walk if you need too. 

Enjoy your race and I look foward to reading your race report.  Regardless of your time, good or bad, it is quite an accomplishment.  Keep reminding yourself of that during the race.  If it was easy, then everybody would be doing it.

This is the first time I have heard of triathlons described as something like a crack habit....made me laugh. Very true though. I love buying new gear (new to me, can't afford new new) finishing a race and signing up for the next one. Good stuff! Thanks for the laugh.
2011-07-09 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3282419

New user
First sprint triathlon.....checkWink
2011-07-09 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3588236

New user
Walterboro

peteacher - 2011-07-09 3:22 PMFirst sprint triathlon.....checkWink

Glad to hear it.  I hope everything went well.  Don't say you weren't warned about being biten by the triathlon bug. 

Edited by Wesley12 2011-07-09 9:32 PM

2011-07-10 8:27 PM

New user
Walterboro
Haven't gotten the exact race results yet but I got another PR by about 1 minute.  (1:21:35)  The only thing is that the whole race felt terrible.  My swim was actually slower.  Felt like my transitions were bad, bike felt like a struggle and the run was just as bad.  I felt like my training was going well.  The only thing I can figure is that my birthday was the day before and my nutrition went downhill from Thursday until today.  I'm hoping that is what caused everything to seem like such a struggle today.  But with a new PR, I guess I shouldn't complain too much. 
2011-07-11 8:38 PM

New user

I know it's a busy time of year for everyone and I don't know who is reading anymore but I have a question.  I am having a really hard time processing my race on Saturday.  I finished and despite many comments, I still had expectations.  My placement in my division (novice) was 26/50 and although this is nothing to be ashamed of, I could have done better (1:44 overall).  I know my bike conditioning was not where I wanted and I have a feeling that was the culprit but I need some focus to avoid repeating mistake(s).

My run sucked.  Plain and simple, it was bad.  I certainly didn't stop altogether but I think I walked almost half of it!!  I expected the transition to suck but the overall was so bad.  My time was 31:52 and that is at least 2 minutes less than normal.  

How do I figure out what part caused the "fail?"  I know that I have a lot to be proud of and that there are a million ways I could have done things differently so it might be hard to know where to start but I gotta start somewhere.  I will take any advice and answer any questions as honestly as I possibly can!!  Have had 'er!!

2011-07-12 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3591676

User image

Extreme Veteran
peteacher - 2011-07-11 8:38 PM

I know it's a busy time of year for everyone and I don't know who is reading anymore but I have a question.  I am having a really hard time processing my race on Saturday.  I finished and despite many comments, I still had expectations.  My placement in my division (novice) was 26/50 and although this is nothing to be ashamed of, I could have done better (1:44 overall).  I know my bike conditioning was not where I wanted and I have a feeling that was the culprit but I need some focus to avoid repeating mistake(s).

My run sucked.  Plain and simple, it was bad.  I certainly didn't stop altogether but I think I walked almost half of it!!  I expected the transition to suck but the overall was so bad.  My time was 31:52 and that is at least 2 minutes less than normal.  

How do I figure out what part caused the "fail?"  I know that I have a lot to be proud of and that there are a million ways I could have done things differently so it might be hard to know where to start but I gotta start somewhere.  I will take any advice and answer any questions as honestly as I possibly can!!  Have had 'er!!

I walked/ran about the first half of my last tri too.  I was tired from the swim, picked up a bit on the bike but was still pushing it, and then was totally out of gas by the run.  My time for the run was about 34 which is 3-4 mins longer than my usual run.

For me I think it's just overall tri fitness.  Bike more, run more.  Do more bricks and longer ones.  I'd only done a few bricks and they were pretty short, maybe 10 mins of running after 1/2 hour bike.  My legs are a lot stronger than they used to be but nowhere near where I'd like them to be.

Did the race start at an ungodly hour?  Did you get enough sleep?  I went to bed early two nights before and the night before the race.  What did you eat before the race?

You are absolutely right that you have a lot to be proud of, and being solidly in the middle of the pack means your fitness is bang-on for your level.  Getting to the top of the pack is just going to take a lot more work and training, I'm afraid.

2011-07-12 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I haven't been able to run since Jun 26 due to this dang glute of mine.  I have a race in 2 1/2 weeks.  The glute *may* be getting better and I *may* be able to run again this week, but I'm not confident of it.  Add to that that I got a new roommate and we're still getting settled in, so my training has suffered a lot.  (He's a talker and it's hard to slip away, lol.)  Bottom line, I'll be unprepared for the race.  I still plan to do it but may not be able to complete the run.  I emailed the race director to find out if I could still get my times if I didn't finish, but he hasn't responded.  Scott, do you have any experience with this?  Do you think they'll keep my times if I DNF?
2011-07-15 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3591676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
peteacher - 2011-07-11 6:38 PM

First you finished and should feel good about that. Honestly triathlons are very difficult simply because its three different sports all at once. There are three reasons that are most likely to cause a substandard performance. #1 is recovery time. How was your taper week? DId you eat well and rest? Did your workouts taper or did you hit it hard up til a day or two before then do nothing? #2 Changes. WHat was different nutritionally before this race. Were you hydrated? Did you eat well leading up to the race? What about sleep? #3 This is the hardest to look at. Your expectation (or goal) SOmetimes what we want out of ourselves doesn't match where we are in our training. Is there something to change in your training that will help you in the next race? If you want to go faster then make a plan to get there but make it realistic.

So that being said what do you think? What was different? Where do you really feel like you want to improve. Also look at minor tweeks not huge changes. It is amazing what a little tweek will do to your overall time.

Scott

2011-07-15 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3592460

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-07-12 7:37 AM

I haven't been able to run since Jun 26 due to this dang glute of mine.  I have a race in 2 1/2 weeks.  The glute *may* be getting better and I *may* be able to run again this week, but I'm not confident of it.  Add to that that I got a new roommate and we're still getting settled in, so my training has suffered a lot.  (He's a talker and it's hard to slip away, lol.)  Bottom line, I'll be unprepared for the race.  I still plan to do it but may not be able to complete the run.  I emailed the race director to find out if I could still get my times if I didn't finish, but he hasn't responded.  Scott, do you have any experience with this?  Do you think they'll keep my times if I DNF?

Unfortunately they usually don't keep times for DNF. I would say this though, never plan on a DNF. If you need to plan on a big change to your pace but I would not plan on not finishing. You can complete the run, it just may be at a walking pace. You can do it!!!

Scott
2011-07-24 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello everyone,
I amgetting the distinct feeling that everyone is well on their way. Unless there are any objections or questions I think I will close the group. I wish you all the best. I have loved hearing about your successes and also the challenges that you have faced. Thanks for your honesty and contributions to the group.

Smile big and have fun in this adventure,

Scott
2011-07-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3612796

New user

holt1997 - 2011-07-24 11:44 PM Hello everyone, I amgetting the distinct feeling that everyone is well on their way. Unless there are any objections or questions I think I will close the group. I wish you all the best. I have loved hearing about your successes and also the challenges that you have faced. Thanks for your honesty and contributions to the group. Smile big and have fun in this adventure, Scott

Thank you Scott, the advice and support you gave me was invaluable and I can't tell you how much it helped.  Thank you for taking the time from what I know was a very busy schedule to help and provide that support.  I wish you the best and have a wonderful rest of the summer!!!!

Marnie:-)

2011-07-26 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3615023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Thank you. Glad I could help at least a little. Best wishes with your races and future in triathlon. If you ever have a question or need anything feel free to shoot me a message.

Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15