BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-06-26 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3567683

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED
peteacher - 2011-06-26 8:47 AM

holt1997 - 2011-06-24 10:51 AM Whats everyone's plan for the weekend? Racing or training?[/QUOTE

Training here.  I finally got my hardest ride in yesterday (15.4) and just a really short run in after to chip away at the brick practice.  It went better than I thought it could but no records on track for this girl, hehe.  Today will be a run, same route as earlier this week hoping to better my time a little.  We are having a beautiful weekend so I am sucking up every minute of it!!

The board has been so quiet lately, we need more chatter!! :-)

Your brick workouts are perfect.They don't have to be long. You just have to get your body used to the change over.

This will pay huge dividends later. Nice work.

2011-06-26 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3282419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Nutrition and weight are something I have always struggled with. Does anyone have any good recipes or healthy ideas for food. I hate diets etc but would love some creative ideas.

Scott
2011-06-29 3:51 PM

New user
Walterboro
Heading to the bike shop tomorrow to look for a tri bike.  I've been using a Specialized road bike.  Looking at Cervelo, Felt and Cannondale.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by Wesley12 2011-06-29 3:51 PM
2011-06-29 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3573529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-06-29 1:51 PM

Heading to the bike shop tomorrow to look for a tri bike.  I've been using a Specialized road bike.  Looking at Cervelo, Felt and Cannondale.  Anybody have any suggestions?

I have never ridden any of the three (I ride a trek not by preference but by price) One thing I would ask is about stability. At higher speeds steeper angled bikes can become "twitchy" Other bikes remain quite stable. I would seek out the stable kind. If the bike dealer looks at you funny when you ask about this.....just walk away. 50mph on a bike is scary and you want as much on your side as possible. Let us know how it goes. Post a pic or two.

Scott
2011-06-29 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Scott, I'm sorry I don't cook but I can give you a few cheater's tips.  Some people don't like the taste of certain "diet" foods, but a lot of people taste little to no difference.  If you're in the latter camp, you can save some calories without even thinking about it.

1) Healthy Life bread.  Only 5 net carbs per slice, which is pretty carb-cheap.  Low calorie too.

2) Spray butter.  Tastes good and saves you 100 calories per serving.

3) Fat-free mayo.

4) This one's a harder sell, but fat-free cheese.  Combine the above (except the mayo) and you can make great grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner!

My tastes are simple.  A typical lunch I take to work is a pb/j sandwich, a low-fat lunch meat (e.g. turkey) sandwich, a couple of pieces of fruit, some fat-free yogurt, fat-free cottage cheese and a V8.  Maybe a small handful of nuts.  It's actually a lot of food and I graze on it throughout the day.  If I'm bored with the cottage cheese I'll put in something to flavor it.  I use Greek yogurt because there is much more protein in it.

I know that's not very creative, but hope it helps...

2011-06-29 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Big news - I'm expecting!  No, I'm not pregnant - at my age and relationship status that would not be a happy event.  Laughing  I finally bit the bullet and ordered a road bike online.  I kept seeing people post about good experiences they'd had with bikesdirect.com, so I went there.  This is my new baby (I got the white one):

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy_al_xi_sc3.htm

The bad news is I ordered it HOURS ago and it's still not here! 

The bike I've been riding is a very nice hybrid, a Trek 7100.  It was my sister's until she passed away last year.  The other good thing about getting the road bike is that now my nephew can have his mom's bike, which is a million times better than the one he has.

More happy news, my swim time has dropped 8 seconds per 100m in the last two months!  I've been working a lot on keeping my head down and rolling side to side more, along with correcting a defect I know of with my left stroke.  It's paying off.  My time tonight was 1:45.  It was 1:53 at the beginning of May.

So it's been an expensive but very good day.  Laughing

2011-06-30 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3574046

New user

More happy news, my swim time has dropped 8 seconds per 100m in the last two months!  I've been working a lot on keeping my head down and rolling side to side more, along with correcting a defect I know of with my left stroke.  It's paying off.  My time tonight was 1:45.  It was 1:53 at the beginning of May.

That is outstanding!!  Way to go!!

2011-06-30 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3575030

Stamford
peteacher - 2011-06-30 1:15 PM

That is outstanding!!  Way to go!!

That is awesome!!  Must feel nice to notice that level of improvement!  Keep it up.

2011-06-30 12:33 PM

Stamford

Hey everyone ...

I haven't been as active on this as I would have liked, due to work and a million other excuses lol!

This sunday is two weeks out from my sprint triathlon.  I'm already getting pretty nervous about it.  I've done a sprint (with a shorter swim/bike) a little over a month ago, and a duathlon before that ... so I'm pretty sure that as far as being able to do the events for that period of time shouldn't be a problem even though I haven't done a Mock Tri yet.

My plan is to do a Mock triathlon at my gym tomorrow night.  I plan on taking as long as I need to finish all the distances and to take long transitions in the locker room to rest and refuel.

I'm way behind in my swim endurance, so i think by doing this it will help me build the confidence to get past the .... "am I ready?" question that i've been asking myself.  As far as my training for the last month it has not been anywhere near where I wanted it to be.  That being said i've been eating pretty well and still working out a good amount.

Anybody every do a Mock Triathlon (full distance of your event) ... so you get a confidence boost and also see where you were timewise?

2011-06-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3575067

User image

Extreme Veteran
agrant3 - 2011-06-30 12:33 PM

Hey everyone ...

I haven't been as active on this as I would have liked, due to work and a million other excuses lol!

This sunday is two weeks out from my sprint triathlon.  I'm already getting pretty nervous about it.  I've done a sprint (with a shorter swim/bike) a little over a month ago, and a duathlon before that ... so I'm pretty sure that as far as being able to do the events for that period of time shouldn't be a problem even though I haven't done a Mock Tri yet.

My plan is to do a Mock triathlon at my gym tomorrow night.  I plan on taking as long as I need to finish all the distances and to take long transitions in the locker room to rest and refuel.

I'm way behind in my swim endurance, so i think by doing this it will help me build the confidence to get past the .... "am I ready?" question that i've been asking myself.  As far as my training for the last month it has not been anywhere near where I wanted it to be.  That being said i've been eating pretty well and still working out a good amount.

Anybody every do a Mock Triathlon (full distance of your event) ... so you get a confidence boost and also see where you were timewise?

I had a HUGE case of nerves the night before my last tri - total "I can't do this" panic.  I had an awesome time once it started.  You will too!  Take the time in the next couple weeks to swim as much as you can - mostly to reassure yourself more than to build endurance.  Race day will give you adrenaline to work with in addition to your training fitness, so you'll have no trouble finishing.  What's the worst that can happen - you walk a bit during the run.  Not the end of the world.

I did a mock tri once but didn't do the full run.  The Y had a very small track and it just got too boring to continue.  But it did a lot to boost my confidence.

2011-07-01 10:17 PM

New user
Walterboro
Got my new Cervelo P2 this afternoon.  Can't wait to go out and go for a ride in the morning.  I'm hoping it will help with my speed a little.  I would post a picture of it but apparently my computer does not want to work with me.  Now all I have left to do is sign up for the Augusta 70.3 and I'm going to do that tomorrow. 

2011-07-03 11:17 AM

User image

Sarnia
Had a good ride yesterday. 54kms took me 1:44:40 had some head winds that were a good opportunity to work on my mental game aswell. Off to the pool today for a swim all getting ready for a sprint distance on July 23rd. I do need to increase my volume though...
2011-07-03 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3574034

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-29 9:04 PM

Scott, I'm sorry I don't cook but I can give you a few cheater's tips.  Some people don't like the taste of certain "diet" foods, but a lot of people taste little to no difference.  If you're in the latter camp, you can save some calories without even thinking about it.

1) Healthy Life bread.  Only 5 net carbs per slice, which is pretty carb-cheap.  Low calorie too.

2) Spray butter.  Tastes good and saves you 100 calories per serving.

3) Fat-free mayo.

4) This one's a harder sell, but fat-free cheese.  Combine the above (except the mayo) and you can make great grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner!

My tastes are simple.  A typical lunch I take to work is a pb/j sandwich, a low-fat lunch meat (e.g. turkey) sandwich, a couple of pieces of fruit, some fat-free yogurt, fat-free cottage cheese and a V8.  Maybe a small handful of nuts.  It's actually a lot of food and I graze on it throughout the day.  If I'm bored with the cottage cheese I'll put in something to flavor it.  I use Greek yogurt because there is much more protein in it.

I know that's not very creative, but hope it helps...

Thanks for the tips. Some of that I have never tried.
2011-07-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3574046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-29 9:16 PM

Big news - I'm expecting!  No, I'm not pregnant - at my age and relationship status that would not be a happy event.  Laughing  I finally bit the bullet and ordered a road bike online.  I kept seeing people post about good experiences they'd had with bikesdirect.com, so I went there.  This is my new baby (I got the white one):

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/galaxy_al_xi_sc3.htm

The bad news is I ordered it HOURS ago and it's still not here! 

The bike I've been riding is a very nice hybrid, a Trek 7100.  It was my sister's until she passed away last year.  The other good thing about getting the road bike is that now my nephew can have his mom's bike, which is a million times better than the one he has.

So it's been an expensive but very good day.  Laughing

Yeee Haww! Good for you. Gear is a lot of fun. Nice job on your swim time too. Keep at it and it will continue to drop.
2011-07-03 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3577853

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Wesley12 - 2011-07-01 8:17 PM

Got my new Cervelo P2 this afternoon.  Can't wait to go out and go for a ride in the morning.  I'm hoping it will help with my speed a little.  I would post a picture of it but apparently my computer does not want to work with me.  Now all I have left to do is sign up for the Augusta 70.3 and I'm going to do that tomorrow. 

Cervelo always seem to be affordable and high quality. Congrats on your nice bike!
2011-07-03 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3579000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
bmeere - 2011-07-03 9:17 AM

Had a good ride yesterday. 54kms took me 1:44:40 had some head winds that were a good opportunity to work on my mental game aswell. Off to the pool today for a swim all getting ready for a sprint distance on July 23rd. I do need to increase my volume though...

We have a lot of wind here too and I honestly hate it......so I just call it resistance training.

2011-07-03 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wesley, I'm totally jealous.  That's a sweet ride.

Bmeere, love your attitude!  I hate opportunities to improve my mental fitness.  I prefer to whine a lot.

Going for a leisurely ride tonight.  I just met a woman who likes to ride, although not for training.  I do have her half-talked into a tri, though, lol.  She's done marathons and I think she actually trained for a tri once but couldn't do it because life happened.

I'm bummed because this hip/butt of mine has prevented me from running for two weeks now.  I have four weeks until my next race and hope it will resolve before then.  If not, I'll have to limp it. 

2011-07-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3568404

New user

holt1997 - 2011-06-26 10:53 PM
Wesley12 - 2011-06-24 6:55 PM I haven't signed up for the Augusta 70.3 yet but I will.  I've been using plans from BT and will probably use another or some variation of one from here to prepare.  My biggest concern is the nutrition.  Not only my everyday diet but also what would be needed on race day.  I've heard all kinds of things from the chomps to the gels and everything in between.  Any advice on the nutrition would be greatly appreciated.
ahhh nutrition. What a huge topic with so many answers. On this topic What I think works best is if we just share what works best for us and you experiment with it all and figure out what works for you. One thing I have done in the past that works as far as hydration is weigh myself before a longer run. Then weigh myself after. Then subtract out the water I drank. The number you come up with is about how much you need to drink to keep hydrated. For example I ran for an hour and drank a quart of water (weighs about 2.1 pounds) and I weighed 210 starting and weighed 208 at the end. I would then know I need to drink about 4 pounds of water per hour to stay completely hydrated while running (FYI a gallon of water weighs about 8.4 pounds per gallon). You can do the same for the bike and swim. Knowing your body's hydration needs is very important. I think you can get by with minimal gels etc but without hydration you will crash and hard. I also know that hydrating during the swim is pretty much impossible except by accidental mouthfuls but knowing your hydration deficit when getting on the bike is helpful. You do sweat when swimming. As far as gels etc and race day food I start about 3 days ahead of time and drink about 64 ozs per day of gatorade (or whatever works for you). The electrolytes are very important in your muscle work of your body so don't start the race behind on these. Then on race day morning I have a protein shake about 3 hours before the race starts along with a banana and some toast with peanut butter. Then 10 minutes before the race (no more or less) I have a gel. After this I won't have much more until about half way through the bike. Then I have two more gels. During the run I usually have 1 or 2 towards the start and 2 more during the middle and then drop my water bottle and give it my all for the last bit. If you think that the gels may not be enough then I recommend a few boiled potatos on the bike. They go a long way but myself I cannot digest them due to stomach issues. Hope that makes sense. There is a lot more to this but this may be a good start. Thoughts anyone? Scott

Okay, here is my question Scott:  What distance would you be racing for this use of gel? 

2011-07-07 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Got the new bike yesterday!  My roommate and I put it together - neither of us knowing anything about bikes, what should have been a 25-minute project turned into a two-hour ordeal lol.  Tomorrow I will take it for the fitting and have them check over what we did.  Last night I took it for a quick spin around the block and could feel the difference between the hybrid and the road bike immediately.  My first real ride will be the late-night ride in downtown Chicago on Sat night.
2011-07-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3584562

New user
Walterboro

sdejan - 2011-07-07 9:48 AM Got the new bike yesterday!  My roommate and I put it together - neither of us knowing anything about bikes, what should have been a 25-minute project turned into a two-hour ordeal lol.  Tomorrow I will take it for the fitting and have them check over what we did.  Last night I took it for a quick spin around the block and could feel the difference between the hybrid and the road bike immediately.  My first real ride will be the late-night ride in downtown Chicago on Sat night.

Congratulations on the new bike.  I've had a blast with mine.  I have a race Sunday and I'm looking foward to see how my bike split is going to go.  Hopefully I can gain 1 - 1.5 mph.  Good luck and be careful on the ride Saturday night.

2011-07-07 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3575364

Stamford
sdejan - 2011-06-30 3:15 PM

I had a HUGE case of nerves the night before my last tri - total "I can't do this" panic.  I had an awesome time once it started.  You will too!  Take the time in the next couple weeks to swim as much as you can - mostly to reassure yourself more than to build endurance.  Race day will give you adrenaline to work with in addition to your training fitness, so you'll have no trouble finishing.  What's the worst that can happen - you walk a bit during the run.  Not the end of the world.

I did a mock tri once but didn't do the full run.  The Y had a very small track and it just got too boring to continue.  But it did a lot to boost my confidence.

Well I did my Mock Tri on Tuesday.  I finished it, but man it was tiring!! LOL.  I took at a little slower pace, and took long transition times to help break it up and refuel so i didn't have any issues while being inside.

The hardest part was transitioning to the Run.  I was pretty beat by the run and had to do a walk/run combo in order to finish.  I even had to stop the run in order to stretch out my calves.  BUT i finished it so it did let me know that in a week and half I'll be able to finish that race.  I let myself take off yesterday and did nothing relating to working out.  I'm starting back up tonight for a couple of good training days ending on Sunday, with monday off as a recovery and then a few light taper days next week!

I can see the light!!!!!

2011-07-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3584562

Stamford

sdejan - 2011-07-07 10:48 AM Got the new bike yesterday!  My roommate and I put it together - neither of us knowing anything about bikes, what should have been a 25-minute project turned into a two-hour ordeal lol.  Tomorrow I will take it for the fitting and have them check over what we did.  Last night I took it for a quick spin around the block and could feel the difference between the hybrid and the road bike immediately.  My first real ride will be the late-night ride in downtown Chicago on Sat night.

That's great let us know how it after you take it for a spin!!

2011-07-07 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3557879

Stamford
peteacher - 2011-06-20 12:06 PM

I also need some help/advice ;-)  I want to do an event on July 9th, (sprint distance) and I have a kunundrum.  My bike training is not where it should be and the ride is 16m.  The max I have done so far is 10.5.  Now I think I might be able to suck it up for the race cause let's face it, if I don't do this one I will never get this party started (this would be my first tri ever).   I know the golden rule is 10% but I am wondering if I push this week and see if I can even do 16 or something closer to it than 10.  I am not talking a full out, just as easy ride to find out what my limits are? 

I will leave it at that and see what you guys have to say.

What did you decide?  I'm sure you would be able to crank out that extra 5.5 in training.

2011-07-07 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3584632

New user
agrant3 - 2011-07-07 10:24 AM
peteacher - 2011-06-20 12:06 PM

I also need some help/advice ;-)  I want to do an event on July 9th, (sprint distance) and I have a kunundrum.  My bike training is not where it should be and the ride is 16m.  The max I have done so far is 10.5.  Now I think I might be able to suck it up for the race cause let's face it, if I don't do this one I will never get this party started (this would be my first tri ever).   I know the golden rule is 10% but I am wondering if I push this week and see if I can even do 16 or something closer to it than 10.  I am not talking a full out, just as easy ride to find out what my limits are? 

I will leave it at that and see what you guys have to say.

What did you decide?  I'm sure you would be able to crank out that extra 5.5 in training.

I did end up cranking out 15.4, twice since then and they certainly were hard but I did them which was to me the biggest obstacle.  I did sign up for the race on July 9th and got an open water swim in at the site last week (was HUGE worry for me).  Reading all these posts about bikes makes me wish I had a nice bike but that is so far off in the distance that I will just live vicariously through all of you!!

Like I said, very first race ever in 2 days.  I am such a mix of emotions with the biggest being excitement.  The routes I ride/run are harder than the ones I have seen for the event so I feel my training was good and on track.  The water is warm and appears to be pretty "clean."  It is my impression that it is a well organized event and perfect for a first timer like me.  The weather appears to be on the warm side but a very low chance of rain, etc.  I feel like the only thing left to do besides put my stuff together in the car is to find a way to enjoy the next two days.....that has been a rare occasion for me (I am a little high strung!!).  It's chip timing so I will share my race report when I can!!

2011-07-07 10:37 PM

New user
Walterboro

Peteacher, the most important thing to do is take a step back and just enjoy the race.  You're not out there to compete for the podium on your first race but just to complete the race.  It's quite a rush when you cross the finish line and realize you've just completed for first triathlon.  Even if it feels like your legs are going to fall off.  Another thing to be aware of is the fact that its kind of like a crack habit.  Once you get your first one under your belt, you'll be thinking about where your next one is going to be before you get home.  I did my first race on May 21st and I'll be doing my 4th race this Sunday.  I'll be doing a half ironman in Sept.  Just a fair warning before you drink the Kool-Aid. Laughing

I had a 10 minute improvement for my 2nd race to my 3rd race.  (Race 2 - 6 are at the same course in a 5 race series)  What helped me the most was staying calm during the swim.  When you first start, people will be swimming into and over you.  Get to the outside on the start and keep yourself calm.  If you can stay calm and control your breathing during the swim, you'll feel much better during your bike and run.  You can make it on the bike and run.  It's ok to walk if you need too. 

Enjoy your race and I look foward to reading your race report.  Regardless of your time, good or bad, it is quite an accomplishment.  Keep reminding yourself of that during the race.  If it was easy, then everybody would be doing it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15