Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you enjoy your job/career? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-01-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3282740

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Subject: RE: Do you enjoy your job/career?
1. When I was working "in the field", I absolutely loved my job. Now that I'm in lower-management, I like it, but I despise the agency I work for. The politics is horrible and it's difficult to get anything constructive done through the petty bickering and political BS. I haven't busted-down to get back in the field because I can help the field guys more from where I'm at now. I can still help them get things done by playing interference between them and upper-management.

2. This job is a career for me, but I don't expect to do this all my life. If all goes well, I'll retire from this and go on to something else later.

3. I sorta stumbled-into this job. After I had to leave the Marine Corps with some injuries that weren't healing up correctly, I wandered around with no idea what to do next. I took a job that had some retirees from my current line of work, and they encouraged me to go this direction. I'm glad I did. If not for them, I never would have even considered my current direction.

2011-01-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3289835

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
sax - 2011-01-10 10:30 AM

My satisfaction at work is directly related to my commission check or sales over quota percentage...which tells me that I do not love it.  But I don't let my work define me, so I'm not miserable.  However, I will leave for something better.

This is a great way of describing where I am. I love my job the four times a year I get a commission check. The rest of the year I really don't care.
2011-01-10 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
1. Do you like your job?

For the first time in my life I can say without hesitation.....yes!

2. Is it just a job to you, or do you consider it a career?

I consider it a career path. I love my company, they take care of me and care about me, they value my opinion genuinely, and if I continue to be successful I know i will be moving up if I want too.

3. How did you choose this path?

It chose me, I was unhappy post college. Had a solid job with a global company but hated it and hated being in a cube every day, even with two to three a day sessions of training didn't keep me happy. Left and pursued my true passion-selling. I've done very well my fisrt year and I love my day to day. I get to travel all around, meet people, get past challenges and solve problems for people. I love every second of it.
2011-01-10 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
1. Do you like your job?

LOVE IT

I'd say it's more freedom than a job or career

My wife and I started our own business last spring because we were tired of the rat race, being away from our kids, and helping someone else get wealthy
2011-01-10 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
1. Do you like your job?
Somedays are better than others.  As had been mentioned by earlier posts, sales positions (and the requisite satisfaction) are driven by quota attainment.  It's an opportunity to compete, so there is some satisfaction in that.  But, I do not "love" my job.  I definitely work to live, not the other way around.

2. Is it a job to you, or do you consider it a career?
Since I have been doing this now for 20 years, I'm convinced that it is a career.  Since the monetary reward is worthwhile, it is what I hope to do for the remainder of my working career.  Unfortunately for me, I am monetarily-handcuffed.

I was in operations, and a particular client requested one resource to deal with on a daily basis.  It ended up being me.  Once I saw the financial opportunities in sales, it was a no brainer.  It has allowed me to provide more for my family than I ever thought possible.

2011-01-10 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
GLC1968 - 2011-01-06 2:21 PM A couple of questions...

1. Do you like your job?

I haven't read through the entire thread, but thought I would respond.

1. Yes I like my current job...but the hours aren't consistent, the pay isn't high and I'm not using my degree in anyway shape or form.

2.  It's a job...I'm not sure what I want to do when I grow up.

3.  How did I get here?!?  Funny you should ask...and I see you're also in the PNW.  My degree is in Mechanical Engineering.  I spent a little over 5 years in the "industry" working on diesel engines.  Did I enjoy it?  At times...but it ended up making me sick and I couldn't make myself do it.  (Depression sucks, FYI)  I ended up falling in love with a man who lived in Washington, while I lived in Chicago area.  I quit my job and moved out here.  The job market is ROUGH out here!  I have applied to many jobs and haven't even gotten an interview.  Some engineering, some not engineering...Target didn't even want to interview me!  I ended up landing an interview at the local library system...they offered me a substitute position and I took it.  The position is for a library page - I shelve books.  Do I enjoy it?  Oddly, I do.  I enjoy being on my feet, helping people find things and helping people by putting things where they can find them.  My desire to sort and have neat things come out here....Do I feel like I want to do this for a career?  Definitely not!  Do I have any idea what I want to do for the rest of my life...not really!  When I was in college - with my engineering degree - I remember my dad reminiscing about what I liked to do when I was kid.  Did I build bridges?  Like to take things apart?  He said..."I don't really remember, but it wasn't anything for long!"  And I did not take that as an insult...because I knew it was true!
I've taken career aptitude tests at various times in my life and haven't really found anything out.  I either find that my tendencies are to be in something engineering or that I am a social person...HELLO?!?!?  Of course my tendencies were in Engineering - I was an ENGINEER!  I KNEW I was a social person....thanks for answering the questions of my life :-P

My 2 cents:
- Try to stay in your paying job as long as you can.  Unless money isn't an issue...than I say screw it!  Find something else!!
- Start reading (either from your local library :-P or online) about career advice.  Start looking for a new job.  They say the best time to look for a new job is when you have one.  You'll find that the job market is tough right now (not sure where you are or what your field is).  I was UNpleasantly surprised to find that.  Sometimes looking at new jobs would help you realize you like you're current job...or the opposite.  I also have found that the company you work for and WHO you work with makes a HUGE difference.  You may like you're job, but not WHERE you work...then I'd say it's time to look for a new place. 

Maybe I'm just part of the generation that will have multiple careers...but that's just the way I think!  I've thought about lots of different areas I'd be interested in...but almost all of them require more education.  Additional education requires additional money...which is not something I have right now.  :-(

GOOD LUCK! whatever you do!!

2011-01-10 3:38 PM

New user
Pensacola, FL
Don't have one right now. I left my last job about 8 months before the big downturn in order to go back to school - and be a stay-at-home dad (which is way more work than any other job I've ever had). I'm just hoping when I graduate in a couple months I will be able to find a job. If not, well either way, I will be looking at a Master's program.

Previous jobs: Navy turbine mechanic, construction, firefighter/EMT, long-haul truck driver. Now, I'm taking the last 2 courses for my B.A. in accounting.

2011-01-10 3:39 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
My supervisor is leaving.
She agreed to throw some potential openings my way when she gets over to her new job.
She's looking at my resume and suggesting updated changes.

You gotta like dat!
2011-01-10 6:00 PM

Expert
Usually I do but yesterday I learned that i f***ed up a contract negotiation for a project but learned this after a few signings.  Lost about 5k and 5k delayed for 120 days as I didn't realize some nuances.  This sucks because this was my new bike money.  120 days from now.  
2011-01-10 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
1. No...I hate my job..I mean hate it.
2. This position is just a job, but my profession is a career
3. I'm good at what I do, so I just kinda landed in it.
2011-01-11 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN

1. One of the rare one's - I love my job!  I really do look forward to going to work everyday!  I feel very fortunate to be able to do what I do.  Can't see myself doing anything else (although a fighter pilot would be cool too)

2. As a full time firefighter, this is certainly my career.

3. Many moons ago, after I finished my service in the military, I was playing in a hockey game with a bunch of guys that were on the Fire Department-we got to talking and the rest is history

2011-01-12 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
There are 4 things that define the level of happiness when you are in a job...
No Particular order...it varies from person to person
1. Type of work
2. People you work with
3. Amount of money you make
4. Where you live

None of the above mentioned things can ever be perfect, but one can hope and try to make them as best as possible. Some are out of our control (like the people we work with/for) and some we can control (where we live, to an extent). I think it is essential when finding a job to take a look at these 4 factors and seriously debate them before diving into a job. 

For the record, I do energy analysis, reporting, and software design and testing for a rather large (15mill/year business) facility control/HVAC company in the US. I am 23yo, finishing college (mechanical engineering) in the spring. I had only basic knowledge of computers before I started, no clue how to program one, or how TCP/IP works. Im an ME, I know moving parts and force, not electrical signals. 

1. I HATE my job. In probably every sense possible (low pay, boring work, incompetent people). I saved their on a couple projects, and what do they reward me with....a $.40 raise on top of my whooping $10/hr after a year of good, hard work. I work my off (I work outside of the office regularly, am an hourly employee and dont get paid for it). 40+ hrs a week during breaks.

2. This is for sure just a job, just a small stepping stone for what I want to become. I love the career path I chose (mech eng.), but the job I am in took some interesting twists and turns during the summer that lead me to my position now. I was doing a job I like before the summer, then got moved because my company saw my potential, and I delivered (hate to toot my own horn, but, BEEP BEEP). 

3. I chose this path because I was sick of making steak at a restaurant. Even though I am paid more here, I sometimes miss that place. The people at the the steakhouse were awesome. The people here are not friendly, back-stabbing, and do not care to be friends with me. I do not know why, I never did anything to them. There is a ton of political that people fight about, and I try to stay out of ( We do alot of work with Verizon Wireless, and from what I see, I will NEVER do business with them). 

Im done ranting and complaining, but this place is . Im afraid to say anything to management, in fear of my job. I like may paycheck, and dont want to loose it. Yes, I said paycheck and not job. 
2011-01-12 3:44 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I must also be a rare one.

1. I love my job. I love my boss. I love the company I work for. I believe in the company and am a HUGE fan of our CEO. He treats us well, is personable, caring, and has a tremendous vision. He's already led our company through not only the downturn in the general economy, but also the massive effects in our industry (general aviation) - without laying off employees, despite every one of our peer companies, competitors, and suppliers doing just that.

2. When I first started, it was just another job. A way to get out of a job I absolutely hated. But now... I've been here 5 years and can definitely see it becoming a career. I'll have to get back with you on that one.

3. I majored in the field I currently work in, but this particular job was the direct result of networking + someone doing me a HUGE favor. One that literally changed my life. After a talk with an old boss about difficulties at my then-job, he picked up the phone, called my then-VP and said "hire this one" and they did.

Edited by lisac957 2011-01-12 3:44 PM
2011-01-12 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

1. Do you like your job?
After coming from a very bad workplace where employees were considered pawns and you weren't allowed to send any of your work to anyone other than the boss (So she could take full credit) and everyone hated each other I can say now, yes I do.  50% of your job is dealing with other employees and the ones I work with now are extremely talented and easy to work with.

Yes.  Prior to getting this job, I was going to get my Masters in this Field (Information Technology) to advance myself.  However now that I've moved up, a Masters will not help my career.  I still may get it though.

I was the only Marine in our company that could turn on a computer.  Then I started creating networks on Naval ships and it just went on from there.
2011-01-12 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
1. Not currently.  Through various changes in my org, what was planned to be temporary responsibilities have become permanent.  Right now I'm actually just looking for stuff to keep me busy, while I'm waiting for a new position to be created which hopefully I'll get picked for.

2. It is a career.  For better or worse.  I'd like to move into another career (especially if I don't get a new position soon), but it would be tough to find something where I got close to the same money.  We decided that my wife would stay at home with the kids, so I'm the sole earner which just adds to pressure for me to stay.

3. My computer teacher recommended me for a job as a computer tech when I was 17, which paid twice what I was making as a bag boy at a grocery store.  Since then I've just rose up through the ranks to work in IT Mgmt. 

I really wish someone would pay me a solid salary to be a below mediocre age group triathlete.
2011-01-12 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3282848

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

condorman - 2011-01-06 4:00 PM

Love/hate.  I love my job, but find myself hating at the same time.

I am one of those people that define myself by my job.  I'm a lawyer, it is in the fabric of what I am.

I don't see it as either a job or a career, but rather what I am.

I love aspects of my job, but hate other aspects.  Long hours are tough.  Mentally exhausting (as I'm a patent attorney).  But I enjoy the law, the notion of fairness.  The aspects of advocating for my clients.  Taking a personal interest in my client's business.

I have a client who has been through a very tough patch, business-wise.  We were able to get her patent allowed a few months ago and her business has done a 180 solely b/c the marketplace now has to take her serious.  It is things like that that make it more than a job, or even a career.

Would I give it up?  In a heartbeat - if I was giving it up for something just as rewarding.  But would I give it up because I'm just tired of working hard, nope.

And I think I chose this path based on arguing my whole life - it seemed the most logical place to be.

changing my answer to No, don't enjoy it.

2011-01-12 8:22 PM

Expert
My job is awesome.  Granted it's part time because I'm still in school, so it may not be my career, but I really do like it.  I consider it a very important part of my career because it is very closely related to what I want to do.  I work for a small innovative company which does very important and meaningful work.  We get to make a lot of money and make a difference.

It's high stress and pretty fast paced-but we have a very tangible byproduct that is really awesome to see come together.  Everyone makes good salaries and in good years gets high bonuses.  Everyone believes in what they do and pulls in the same direction.  That's what makes it so great.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you enjoy your job/career? Rss Feed  

of 3