General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Toughness...what is it and where do you get it. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-07 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: Mental Toughness...what is it and where do you get it.

I posted this in my MG this morning after someone asked the question about Mental Toughness Training.  Others thought it was worthy to share with the masses. 

Mental Toughness is...

Training when you don't want to...Talking yourself out of quitting a long run when your not feeling it...getting up early when you want to sleep...having a miserable workout that you just suck at but survive.  This is your mental training!  These are the successes you think about in the middle of a race when the wheels are coming off.  You might walk for a minute or 20 and every step is agony and then you take a deep breath and try and pull it back together again and go again even it you have to do it 10 times during a race that is mental toughness.

It's an attitude...failure is not an option.  I didn't get up at 5am for the last 6 months to quit.  You didn't sacrifice all your social time to workout just to quit.  You haven't put up with all your spouses "moods" about your workouts to quit.  It's believing in yourself.  It's getting mad at yourself.  It's pushing yourself.  It's holding yourself accountable.

My IM swim sucked.  The water was 57 degrees and after 20 min the cold had jacked with my HR and I was getting testy with everyone around me and panicky and started having doubts 3/4 of the way through my first loop.  I started thinking that if I couldn't pull myself together I wasn't going to be able to finish.  You have to be able to shut your mind down when it starts talking crap and say "NO", I'm better than that. Or my actual conversation with myself was "bull___!, I'm not going back to work to tell everyone I quit".  Then I had to evaluate what was wrong and make a plan and adjust.

1.)  Stick to your workouts and finish them.  If you give yourself excuses in your workouts you will give yourself excuses while your racing.    My personal favorite when I'm having a bad swim or run is to promise myself I'll stop after 200 then just to be evil it's another 500 or whatever.  My brain hates my ego we talk to each other all through the workout. 

2.)  Find your happy and you motivated place.  Know what will calm you down.  Is it a memory of a vacation, a song, your kids, spouse, Happy and calm is different than Motivated and Fired up...a visual of the way you are or use to be or who you want to be?

3.)  Tell EVERYBODY you know what you are doing and post it on your office door.  I am not kidding here.  I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to change my goal and forget the IM but didn't because it was on my door and the GM would come by periodically and ask me about how things were going.  Pride is a great motivator.

4.)  Have a motto or two...pick a motto and know it by heart.  Use it in training and it will come to you in racing.  Tape it to your bike if you have to.

ie...Suck it up buttercup or HTFU. Nothing to it but to do it!  Good, Better, Best, never rest until your good is better than the rest.  Not sure where I got this one from but it works when your running on each foot strike.

5.)  Evaluate and change plans on the fly. (SOOOOO, important)  You should always have a race plan A, B and C and even then you might have to be creative.  Very rarely will you ever have a race that goes exactly as planned.

6.)  Learn the difference between workout pain and injury pain.  There is no shame in pulling out of a race because you feel something that is just wrong.  I've been out for two years because of working through pain.  I am in the process of discovering how I need to prepare my body to race and what I need to do when things feel off but I won't ever hesitate to stop if I can't get things undercontrol because one race isn't worth two years.  We aren't talking blisters here.

7)  Know why you are doing this.  This isn't the simple answer, "because somebody asked me to do it."  There's a reason you decided to torture yourself.  You may not even know why right now but you will discover it in your training.  Race day is a catered training day.  It's just another day in the end.  Triathlon is a journey of self discovery.  The work, blood, sweat, tears and money come from a place within.  Know what your motivation is and use it when the going gets tough.

8)  Last but not least...be realistic with your goals and be prepared.

2011-01-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3284407

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mental Toughness...what is it and where do you get it.
Good post, lots of good ideas here.  Thanks!
2011-01-07 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Thanks for posting.  I posted it on my blog as a future reference for me, and also anyone else that's interested.
2011-01-07 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
I got it the easy way.

-Joined the marines.
-Served in combat.

It makes the rest of your life seem pretty damn easy.

2011-01-07 1:04 PM

User image

Mental toughness isn't so important when you're doing something you enjoy.

The only thing that takes real mental toughness for me is trainer workouts.  I hate them.  But sometimes weather/scheduling just makes them a necessary evil.

2011-01-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3284944

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
tri808 - 2011-01-07 11:04 AM Mental toughness isn't so important when you're doing something you enjoy.

The only thing that takes real mental toughness for me is trainer workouts.  I hate them.  But sometimes weather/scheduling just makes them a necessary evil.

Treadmill, Trainer,
Treadmill, Trainer,
Treadmill, Trainer,
Treadmill, Trainer,

I'm trying to decide which is worse.....

2011-01-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3284959

User image

Fastyellow - 2011-01-07 8:11 AM
tri808 - 2011-01-07 11:04 AM Mental toughness isn't so important when you're doing something you enjoy.

Treadmill, Trainer,
Treadmill, Trainer,
Treadmill, Trainer,
Treadmill, Trainer,

I'm trying to decide which is worse.....

Riding your trainer on the treadmill?
2011-01-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3284965

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Is that a challenge....??

I'm going to check some logistics on that Wink
2011-01-07 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
tri-chic - 2011-01-07 10:05 AM

6.)  Learn the difference between workout pain and injury pain.  There is no shame in pulling out of a race because you feel something that is just wrong.  I've been out for two years because of working through pain.  I am in the process of discovering how I need to prepare my body to race and what I need to do when things feel off but I won't ever hesitate to stop if I can't get things undercontrol because one race isn't worth two years.  We aren't talking blisters here.

I would put serious emphasis on this.

Mental toughness has to be built over time just like the physical toughness.  If your mental toughness is stronger than your physical toughness you are setting yourself up to be going nowhere fast.  You have to learn what you are capable of.  It's hard to describe it but you have to keep pushing a little further and looking back to evaluate and compare.  If you push a little too hard, you'll soon know it but you'll recover okay.  If you push too much HARDER, you might seriously hurt yourself.  One of those art/science situations...

Backing off because something doesn't feel right is not a weakness, it's a honed sense for survival and growth!

-eric
2011-01-07 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting ideas.

For me, it’s mostly about the ability to maintain focus and commit to the task, in spite of whatever forces, internal and external, are persuading you to quit.
I think some of mental toughness is innate and some of it is learned. Certain kids just seem to naturally be able to focus on something for longer than others, in spite of how boring or repetitive it might be. I was never one of those kids.

I think the best way to learn mental toughness (okay, other than joining the marines and seeing combat…) is to play sports. I think that an athletic background from an early age is helpful for teaching you to stay focused on a task until the end, and, especially, that pain is temporary and that it’s possible to push through it. If the first experience you have with lung-burning, quad-cramping, all-out exertion isn’t until you’re training for your first triathlon when you’re in your thirties, most people will have a harder time learning to push through that than if they’ve endured endless hours in the pool or two-a-day football practices in August when they were kids.

The best training method I ever heard of to develop mental toughness was something that Phil Liggett mentioned during last year’s TdF, I think. He said that years ago, there was a pro cycling team coach who, in order to develop mental toughness and the ability for his riders to stay focused on riding for long periods at a time, used to have them ride on a trainer, alone in a room, facing a brick wall for six hours at a time.
2011-01-07 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Mental toughness is going into my backyard pool.  I haven't been very tough lately.  Time for some HTFU.  The computer thermometer has stopped giving a temperature and just says "COLD."  No $4!t.

2011-01-07 2:04 PM

User image

Runner
I've posted this before, but it's apropos to the thread:

...training is like watering a plant. You want constant, regular stimulus. That's how you get the plant to thrive. Not by dumping a ton of water in the pot and then hoping the plant can drink it all. You might think you are "toughening up" the plant by doing this, but really you're just drowning it. I've found that mental toughness--and confidence--comes from being able to look back over the bulk of my training and find a long sequence of steady improvement. It's pretty cool to toe the line and know that you don't have to be tough to PR. You can step to the line with confidence in your physical abilities, turn off your mind, and let your body do what it's been trained to do.

Many folks misunderstand the sort of toughness required to run your best. It's rare that this happens (at least for me), but the very best races don't hurt--or at least the "hurt" isn't even relevant. You're like a gymnast on the bar. Totally focused on what you're doing. Not thinking about falling off, just executing. The pain is there, but it's sort of like the mat below the bar. You're not thinking about it. There's just the bar, just your race plan, just the running. That's the kind of toughness and psychological strength that you want as a runner. This sort of toughness is very different from pushing through the pain at the end of a long run in which you've gone out too fast. That's the pain of falling off the bar and hitting the mat. While it happens in training and is probably unavoidable, it's not something that a gymnast is going to set out to do, just to toughen herself up.

The kind of mental toughness it takes to be a good distance runner is not something that's conjured up at some moment of truth late in a race with mantras like "HTFU." It's developed a little bit at a time, over many, many miles over many, many days and weeks and years. In a race where you're truly ready do to what you came to do, there is a lot less anxiety. There's excitement and nervous energy, sure, but not the kind of anxiety and dread that comes with biting off more than you can chew. The preparation and planning is over and now there's nothing left but the running.
2011-01-07 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
nice post Kelly
2011-01-07 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

I wrote out the following quote on 3 x 5 cards and have one one my bathroom mirror, in my car, and on my office desk:

"Somewhere in the world someone is training when YOU are not.
When you race them, THEY will WIN!"

2011-01-07 3:32 PM

I was running on a treadmill for the last month, 4 times a week, 16 workouts in total. Today weather was finally a little bit better so I took advantage of it and ran outside. It's nice to remember running actually is a fun thing, you know, running and getting places. So I ran to a friend's house who lives 23 kms away from me, in 2.5 hours and I didn't need any mental toughness at all, it was like runners high. Needless to say, I forced him to drive me home. 

My treadmill runs and trainer rides are surely gonna be a lot harder after this run. I used to imagine myself passing Chris Mccormack and telling him that I will be waiting for him in finishing line, then I was trying to find something clever to say in my speech after the race. It helped me to finish a lot of hard workouts but now it got old. I am bored of it, even Chris Mccormack in my imagination is bored of it. I'm telling him that I'm going to wait him in the finishing line and he is like, "I already know that, what's new?".
I tried to motivate myself with the possible benefits of being an ironman, like with gals... It didn't work out. To be fair, I lied to a couple girls about being an ironman already *blushes*, -well I did finish a half indoors and I'll get the title next year for sure, so no biggie-, all I got was a couple rather insulting comments about my mental health.

So, all I have now is "Suck it up buttercup." I taught that mantra to a little girl in my pool and asked her to shout at me whenever I am slacking. It helps, believe me. 
My sister also wakes me up at 5 a.m. everyday, slapping. She surely enjoys it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Toughness...what is it and where do you get it. Rss Feed