Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Travel Bucket List Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-07 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: Travel Bucket List
Help me add to my travel list!  I grew up in a family with no means for traveling outside of the United States, and now that I'm finally recovering from all of the debt accumulated in college, I want to go see places!  I've been to almost all of the states (except for AK and some of the mid-western states), so my list so far is mostly international.  What are some other must-sees?

Big List:
New Zealand (whitewater kayaking)
Bali
Iceland (hotsprings!)
Fiji
Galway, Ireland (70.3)

Small List (cheaper/easier):
Florida keys
New Orleans
Alaska

2011-01-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3285763

User image

Subject: RE: Travel Bucket List
Thailand - go see the floating marketplace and have some prawns for dinner in Bangkok
Germany - check out some of the castles
Ireland - see Waterford! (The crystal is cheaper in the States but it's worth it to say it actually FROM Waterford)

Bosnia - Nah, give it 20 years or so
2011-01-07 8:25 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Australia
Italy

2011-01-07 11:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
What do you enjoy? Food, art, music, water, etc.?
2011-01-08 12:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
South Africa- stupendous scenery, most beautiful wine area in the world
the Amalfi coast of Italy
drive the tip of Scotland
trek the Karakoram/ Baltoro Glaciers of the Himalaya
travel the Ganga river in India (no, not on a funeral pyre
travel the Nile on a dhow*

*was on my father's post retirement bucket list but he died before he retired 
2011-01-08 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

This is an extremely difficult question b/c Travljini wants to go everywhere.  I find there are remarkable and beautiful things in most everywhere I go, but........

• INDIA INDIA INDIA!!!  You will never see anything like it in your life.  And it seems trite to say but seeing the Taj Mahal was just a magnificent experience (among many others in the country)
  • Safari somewhere in Africa.  You will come to abhor zoos upon return
  • Ankgor Wat in Cambodia.  Right up there with the Taj - though since I've been I know it's become quite touristic, but the scale to which they built the temples is just awe inspiring.
  • Myanmar.  (Leaving out the political and ethical debate here) Another remarkable stop that sets you back years because of the suppression of information allowed into the country.  Inle Lake is an amazing area with homes on stilts and floating gardens.  Also home to the most Buddhist monks and nuns in the world.
  • Anywhere in Central America -- El Salvador, there wasn't a tourist to be seen hardly and the beauty and local culture phenomenal -- most countries outside of the Belize Cays & some parts of Nicaragua are fairly non touristic, which imho makes for a nicer journey
  • Someone mentioned Italy -- another GREAT place. Cylcing there was great.  The Sistine Chapel in the Vatican an amazing sight

Ok I better stop -- there are really just a number of magnificent stops so as someone mentioned find what you're most interested and go from there.  I can't open a National Geographic and not find somewhere I want to go :-)  One thing I did start doing after I went to AFrica is I decided hot, third world countries needed to be seen first because they aren't easy, and as my age increases, my desire for "toughing" it is diminishing.(I know go figure, yet I'll subject myself to a HIM)  So that's sort of how hubster and I have planned our travels.  We're sort of saving the 1st World, temperate climate areas for the later years in life, <lol>

Edited by travljini 2011-01-08 9:35 AM

2011-01-08 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
The Mediterranean!  Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Egypt!  I traveled through Greece (including Crete) and Egypt with a female friend two summers ago... it was a complete blast.  We never felt threatened traveling alone, we managed to spend less money than we had budgeted for, we spent time in mountains on beaches and in deserts, and c'mon.. it's the pyramids!
2011-01-08 10:15 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Ms. travljini has it spot-on the bit about going to developing-world or out-of-the-way places, you can save the comfy/expensive sights for later on in life ...

the nice thing about many developing-world spots is that although they may be expensive to get to (but not more expensive than any other continent from your own), they are often RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP once you get there.

I will say that if I were going to go to one place in Indonesia, it wouldn't be Bali. Sure, it's cultural/artistic/natural/mountain/ocean/kitschy-touristy/nightlife/shopping paradise and well i'm here and would love to see you, but there's way cooler/zanier stuff elsewheres in Indonesia, and stuff that just isn't likely to be there anymore within the next few decades ... however, Bali does happen to be an excellent jumping-off point to get to such places, as opposed to Jakarta, which is one of the world's biggest dumps-with-traffic-jam.

I wouldn't rule out the Middle East, either--still plenty of gorgeous, reasonable, ancient-civilization, fairly-safe places to go.
2011-01-08 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3286055

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
jneugeba - 2011-01-07 9:48 PM What do you enjoy? Food, art, music, water, etc.?

I mostly enjoy being outdoors.  So, natural scenery (mountains/rivers/etc.) over cities.  I love music (all kinds), people watching, and trying new things.  But no specific interests like architecture or history buff.

I anticipate that most of my travel will be solo, and since I'm new to the international thing, safety is important.
2011-01-08 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Excellent recommendations everyone!  Italy and Mediterranean are definitely on the list.  Oh, and South Africa too.  I forgot to mention in the previous post that I LOVE wine.  LOVE!  Brazil is on the list now too.

Maybe a better question would have been: "What is the most memorable place you have traveled to, and why?"
2011-01-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3286515

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Like Traveljini, I feel it's hard to pick.  I think anywhere you haven't been should be on the list   I am obsessed with traveling.

For a new international traveler, but looking for a cool experience, I would recommend anywhere in Europe.  I would like to explore more parts of eastern Europe like Croatia for instance.  Less traveled (so far), beautiful Mediterranean, etc.   Sounds more fun to me, than say, the south of France.  But still safe, same type of food options as any place in Europe.

I like to target good historical stuff.  There are a million good things to see in Rome.  They accomplished feats of engineering not even dreamed of by the settlers in the US, a 1400 years later!  Amazing.  I am very interested in Berlin.  Any place with WWII stuff is interesting, I think. 

I am an anglophile, so I thought London and England at large was full of amazing things. Stonehenge is cooler than you'd think, but London even is jammed with interesting history.

Some resources of ideas:

Seven Wonders of the World list

the UNESCO world heritage site list

2011-01-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3286533

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I see your response about not being terribly interested in history.  I felt the same way, until I really saw historical things.  It's hard to imagine the history available until you get out of the US where our history is so short and frankly boring.    And often the historical stuff is really just visiting a cool building and seeing the "sights".

I loved Paris.  For something into wine, people watching, etc, that is where it's at.

I think for natural sights, South Africa or anywhere in Africa is a good target for you.  But go with a reputable group, etc. and know what you're getting into.  Something to remember when you travel outside of the US is that you are not protected in the same way you are around here.  The police are not always your friend, for instance.

2011-01-08 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
MI
sarahk - 2011-01-08 12:04 PM

I mostly enjoy being outdoors.  So, natural scenery (mountains/rivers/etc.) over cities.  I love music (all kinds), people watching, and trying new things.  But no specific interests like architecture or history buff.

I anticipate that most of my travel will be solo, and since I'm new to the international thing, safety is important.

Based on the outdoors comment, I vote for Nepal.  I only spent a week there and didn't do any hiking (which really should be a crime), but having gone to Kathmandu and Pokhara, I can only say good things.  It was just really nice and there are plenty of outdoor activities to be done.  Although the only thing I did was canoe on a lake... and then attempted to swim in said lake and became out of breath so ridiculously fast, but I'm going to blame it on the elevation and beer!!

As for the safety thing, it's really just about keeping your wit and using common sense, imo.  I also highly recommend using couchsurfing.org.  I have used it extensively in my travels, and could not imagine traveling any other way.  It is a great way to meet people, interact with locals and experience the everyday living of people of a culture foreign to you.  It's also a way I've found travel partners.  Not only that, there is an enormous sense of security knowing that there is someone you can go to for help if necessary in a foreign country.  In all of my travels (mostly western europe, south asia, southeast asia, middle east) I never felt alone because wherever I was going there was always someone I would be connecting with.
2011-01-08 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago suburbs
Iguazu Falls from eithr Brazil or Argentina
2011-01-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3286426

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
TriAya - 2011-01-08 11:15 AM Ms. travljini has it spot-on the bit about going to developing-world or out-of-the-way places, you can save the comfy/expensive sights for later on in life ...

the nice thing about many developing-world spots is that although they may be expensive to get to (but not more expensive than any other continent from your own), they are often RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP once you get there.

I will say that if I were going to go to one place in Indonesia, it wouldn't be Bali. Sure, it's cultural/artistic/natural/mountain/ocean/kitschy-touristy/nightlife/shopping paradise and well i'm here and would love to see you, but there's way cooler/zanier stuff elsewheres in Indonesia, and stuff that just isn't likely to be there anymore within the next few decades ... however, Bali does happen to be an excellent jumping-off point to get to such places, as opposed to Jakarta, which is one of the world's biggest dumps-with-traffic-jam.

I wouldn't rule out the Middle East, either--still plenty of gorgeous, reasonable, ancient-civilization, fairly-safe places to go.

Yanti!  OMG I left off your beloved Indonesia!!!  We spent three months there and I just read a NYT Magazine article about Sumba.  Now there's a lovely little out of the way place that will drag you into some fascinating culture.  The Ikat weaving was amazing, and meeting an old tribal chief in a remote little village is memorable.   Indonesia has so many islands in its chain, each different from the other.......

I highlighted the ridiculously cheap.  I would blush if I revealed how much I spent for 9 months in the developing world but it was I might say less than, oh, say a top of the line triathlon bike and all the bells and whistles that go with it.

To the OP, it truly can become a frustrating experience picking!  Good luck! It's settled, we all need to retire and just travel, right?
2011-01-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3286576

User image

Melon Presser
michgirlsk - 2011-01-09 12:41 AM
sarahk - 2011-01-08 12:04 PM

Based on the outdoors comment, I vote for Nepal.  I only spent a week there and didn't do any hiking (which really should be a crime), but having gone to Kathmandu and Pokhara, I can only say good things.  It was just really nice and there are plenty of outdoor activities to be done.  Although the only thing I did was canoe on a lake... and then attempted to swim in said lake and became out of breath so ridiculously fast, but I'm going to blame it on the elevation and beer!!

As for the safety thing, it's really just about keeping your wit and using common sense, imo.  I also highly recommend using couchsurfing.org.  I have used it extensively in my travels, and could not imagine traveling any other way.  It is a great way to meet people, interact with locals and experience the everyday living of people of a culture foreign to you.  It's also a way I've found travel partners.  Not only that, there is an enormous sense of security knowing that there is someone you can go to for help if necessary in a foreign country.  In all of my travels (mostly western europe, south asia, southeast asia, middle east) I never felt alone because wherever I was going there was always someone I would be connecting with.

Couldn't agree more. also, you will have very different--and I think better--experiences traveling solo, as you make more and genuine connections with the people you meet along the way, and you're not limited in any way by anyone else's desires, agendas, or resources.

finally ... no matter where you go, take the time to learn a few greetings and if possible a very few basics (numbers, simple conversation bits) in the language ... this is really high on my list of safety AND quality-experience tips.

2011-01-08 2:09 PM

User image

Melon Presser
travljini - 2011-01-09 2:44 AM

Yanti!  OMG I left off your beloved Indonesia!!!  We spent three months there and I just read a NYT Magazine article about Sumba.  Now there's a lovely little out of the way place that will drag you into some fascinating culture.  The Ikat weaving was amazing, and meeting an old tribal chief in a remote little village is memorable.   Indonesia has so many islands in its chain, each different from the other.......

I highlighted the ridiculously cheap.  I would blush if I revealed how much I spent for 9 months in the developing world but it was I might say less than, oh, say a top of the line triathlon bike and all the bells and whistles that go with it.

To the OP, it truly can become a frustrating experience picking!  Good luck! It's settled, we all need to retire and just travel, right?

nah, you left nothing out, sarah had already mentioned Bali and I had the rest covered

I will say every time I pass one of those little bottled-gas stands with bored-looking guy smoking in front of it, I think of you

As for the bolded bit ... Indonesia has approx. 18,000 islands (up to 30,000 if you count atolls and tidal islands, but who really is counting, ha ha) ... 1000 of them permanently inhabited, and yes, all 1000 with very different cultures and in most cases languages.

people wonder why I'm so crazy, multifaceted (multi-personality?) yet zany and fun => look at where I come from ...

and I'm the normal person here!

anyhoo

RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP, it can't be emphasized enough. Why visit one country/culture when you can come to Asia and experience hundreds for the same price? (okay not hundreds, but whatever ...)

I bet, if I used ferries, trains, other local transport, stayed and ate local, even bought some nice souvenirs ... I could do a nine-month-tour in Southeast Asia, no problem, for well under $3000.

Hmmm ...

you know what you said about 'frustrating experience picking,' I keep telling my sister (who's a fellow travelhound) we need to become travel journalists ... she looks at me like I'm stupid and says, uh ... I am a travel journalist ... I happen to own a major travel magazine.

oh. duh. [but what is the USE of that if you don't actually get to be the one travelling ...]

Hmmm ....

around the world in 280 days on $2800 ... I wonder ... or at least around asia ...
2011-01-08 2:10 PM

User image

Melon Presser
sorry sarah, i keep hijacking your thread! good tips though right?

you should PM Rogillio (Mike) ... he's been to like 30 countries. and actually traveled in them, not just pitstops.
2011-01-08 2:55 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I envy you.  I hope you have a great time wherever you go!
2011-01-08 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
San Jose, California
This year I'm visiting Peru (Amazon and Machu Picchu), and maybe trekking in Nepal. My future list includes China (Yellow Mountain and Tiger Leaping Gorge), Iceland, Sub-saharan Africa (safari and Mt. Kilimanjaro), Antarctica, and the Trans-Siberian Railroad.

In between the big trips, I do smaller ones within North America - hiked the Zion Narrows, across the Grand Canyon, and took a week long rafting trip in Utah in recent years. Coming up will be the West Coast Trail in Canada, and the Waipi'o Valley-Waimanu Valley trail in Hawaii.
2011-01-08 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3286789

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
TriAya - 2011-01-08 3:09 PM
travljini - 2011-01-09 2:44 AM

I will say every time I pass one of those little bottled-gas stands with bored-looking guy smoking in front of it, I think of you

As for the bolded bit ... Indonesia has approx. 18,000 islands (up to 30,000 if you count atolls and tidal islands, but who really is counting, ha ha) ... 1000 of them permanently inhabited, and yes, all 1000 with very different cultures and in most cases languages.

people wonder why I'm so crazy, multifaceted (multi-personality?) yet zany and fun => look at where I come from ...

and I'm the normal person here!

anyhoo

RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP, it can't be emphasized enough. Why visit one country/culture when you can come to Asia and experience hundreds for the same price? (okay not hundreds, but whatever ...)

I bet, if I used ferries, trains, other local transport, stayed and ate local, even bought some nice souvenirs ... I could do a nine-month-tour in Southeast Asia, no problem, for well under $3000.

Hmmm ...

you know what you said about 'frustrating experience picking,' I keep telling my sister (who's a fellow travelhound) we need to become travel journalists ... she looks at me like I'm stupid and says, uh ... I am a travel journalist ... I happen to own a major travel magazine.

oh. duh. [but what is the USE of that if you don't actually get to be the one travelling ...]

Hmmm ....

around the world in 280 days on $2800 ... I wonder ... or at least around asia ...

Cont'g on the hijack, so sorry --
Yanti, Yeah, the bottled gas stands, what memories.  Yes, cheap is the word.  The OCD in me kept a diary of expenses for all 372 days. Our cheapest room was Lake Toba on Sumatra, $1 -- cheaper than India!  With sleeping accomodations at that price, it's a cinch to travel in Asia for cheap. However I did contract the most vile food poisoning eating at a Chinese restaurant near there.......  :-)

2011-01-09 12:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
sarahk - 2011-01-08 10:04 AM

I would suggest Austria. Great wine, beautiful scenery, very safe, and the home of Mozart, Beethoven, et all. (Full disclosure, I used to live there) but I still think it is a wonderful place to visit.
2011-01-09 1:28 AM

User image

Regular
I've lived overseas/traveled a lot, but two of my favorite places are:

1. Budapest, Hungary.  Amazing people, food, wine, culture, scenery, history, etc.  A must do.

2. Sana'a, Yemen.  Ok, so I would not recommend you as a woman go there, especially alone, and forget about having wine...but it is an absolutely amazing place.  It's almost like stepping back into AD 700.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Travel Bucket List Rss Feed