General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Joe Friel's Your Best Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-08 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Skokie, IL
Subject: Joe Friel's Your Best Triathlon
Has anyone yet red Joe Friel's new book Your Best Triathlon: Advanced Training for Serious Triathletes and looked at the training plans? I know Joe is top notch and have the TTTB and Going Long and that they are great books. My sister-in-law and I are both doing our first IM in Madison this year and we have been comparing plans and trying to figure out what to use and she just got this book and is very interested in using his plan. Normally I would shy away from something this new, but with Joe Friel's reputation I figure it is worth looking at. Does anyone have any opinions?

2011-01-08 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3287293

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Joe Friel's Your Best Triathlon
I bought it, and I really like it. If you like the Bible, then this book is for you. It takes the same principles and fleshes them out into real training plan for each training block. There are a lot of good things in there.
2011-01-09 10:12 AM

User image

I am working with it right now for a HIM in July.  I think the training plan is well thought out and thoroughly explained.  After one week in the prep phase I think I exceed my pr for weekly training hours by at least two hours!

Joe Friel emphasises peaking at exactly the right time.  You won't be doing any hard interval running or biking for several weeks, but that is a good thing because you want to be in race fitness for the race, not four weeks early. 

Personally, I have a lot of confidence in the plans, but I suppose the real test comes in July.

Matt 
2011-01-09 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Some coaches I know and trust don't agree with some of what Friel has in his TTTB due to inaccurate analysis of the science behind some of his methods.

If I was not using a coach, I would look else where for a plan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Joe Friel's Your Best Triathlon Rss Feed