General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series - Race 3 (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series - Race 3 (Olympic) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
SuperSprint
Total Time = 2h 51m 3s
Overall Rank = 590/788
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 76/90
Pre-race routine:

Sat morning decided to smash my toe against my desk. For a while I thought I'd broken it but I think it's just horribly bruised and sore.
Sunday, up at 5, breakfast of cereal and a banana, then drove to Sandringham.
Racked the bike, got body marked and hiked to the beach for the start. Had 1 gel, but got hungry just before the swim, so probably need to have a bit more for brekkie!
Event warmup:

The long hike to the start. Did have a little swim though.
Swim
  • 35m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a good swim. Goggles fogged up pretty much from the start, and with the swell, couldn't really see where I was going. Ended up not swimming straight at all.
Eventually, on the long back straight, I got accosted by a paddle board advising me that I should probably head back to the course rather than try and swim across the bay. Decided to stop and clear the goggles and returned to the course. Probably cost me a few minutes there but oh well, lesson learnt. Got out of the water in just under 33 mins but then had to cope with the mother of all transitions.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim straight.
For some reason, even tough it's my best leg, I don't enjoy the swim at all, I get bored....... Much prefer the bike and run, for some reason!
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

This was a ridiculous transition, just under 1000m long! Timing mats were also at the top of a hill, so even though I got out of the water in about 33 minutes, and extra 3 minutes were added to the swim time before we went over the mats. Suit off, bike stuff on, and off we go.

Keep thinkin about getting tri shoes so I can have them clipped in but not got round to it yet. Plus I do like to wear socks......
Bike
  • 1h 15m 47s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.67 km/hr
Comments:

I felt this was another good bike leg for me, but once again went backwards compared to everyone else. First lap felt tough, but got into a good rhythm on the second lap.
The headwind was tough, but wasn't sure how hard to push. Thought at one point I should push more, but I think it would probably have caused me to have a worse run, so held it back.

Maybe push more and see if it affects the run....!
Get some new wheels, and buy that aero hat from Jeff a few days earlier so I could use it :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

All good
Run
  • 53m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Garmin had this at 9.67km so was an average of 5:30 pace which is good for me.
Still, the heading backwards down the field continued.
First lap was great, did it in 26 minutes then slowed down a bit on the 2nd lap as I tired, but was still pleased to run what I did. Tried to pick it up at the end but I had nothing left. Again, not far from a 10k PB so was pleased with that (if the course was accurate and the garmin wasn't, then it was a PB..!)
And no walking either, didn't even feel the need to, but I was telling myself throughout the run that there was no walking to be done at all, I had goals to achieve. So even though my legs would have liked to walk, my brain and heart wouldn't let them, I'm pleased to report.

More running over the Christmas break!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, Christmas, New Year, age, talent, the usual !

Event comments:

My main goal heading into this race was under 3 hours, with a stretch goal of 2:50, so given the long swim and extra long T1 I'm happy. The swim could have gone better, but the bike was good, and the run was what I expected.
I can now push on with HIM training for Busso, but will probably try and do one more of the sprint races in the next month or 2 to keep motivated.
Compared to last year, I'm in the shape of my life, ready to target the HIM!
Onwards!!!!!

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 60/90
Overall: 517/788
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:47 | 40 kms | 31.67 km/hr
Age Group: 77/90
Overall: 571/788
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 2x 2 laps of Beach Rd. 2k tailwind, 10k headwind, 8k tailwind
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:14 | 10 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 75/90
Overall: 616/788
Performance: Average
Course: 2x 2 laps up and down Beach Rd
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-01-09 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series - Race 3 (Olympic)

2011-01-09 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3288925

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series - Race 3 (Olympic)
Sorry mate blame Australia Post

Good race ! Sorry to hear about your swim - you normally smoke it in the water. Good practice for the HIM.  Your right about pushing it too hard on the bike...it's better to leave some in the take and finish the run strong.  Keep going mate!!
2011-01-09 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3289067

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
grbelja - 2011-01-10 2:27 PM Sorry mate blame Australia Post :)
Good race ! Sorry to hear about your swim - you normally smoke it in the water. Good practice for the HIM.  Your right about pushing it too hard on the bike...it's better to leave some in the take and finish the run strong.  Keep going mate!!

Thanks Jeff!!
I blame me for not asking about it earlier :)
The swim was still my best leg in terms of everyone else, just not as good as usual. 
Glad I did leave some in the tank for the run, needed all I had for the 2nd lap.
Will be interested in how you all go at the City of Perth!

Edited by nigelw 2011-01-09 10:42 PM
2011-01-09 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Lyndhurst
"Fitness, Christmas, New Year, age, talent, the usual !"

Gold. Pure GOLD.

When I filled in the race survey, I said a) not enough food vendors, and b) IT SHOULDN'T BE SO CLOSE TO CHRISTMAS!!!

Owh, man, I didn't run AT ALL over Christmas, and when I did it was only 2km...
Good swim though. I was out of the water in 30 minutes, but it took me ten minutes to learn to stand up, get half undressed and get up the hill... I really need to work on that!!
2011-01-11 1:14 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Hey Nigel! What a bloody ridiculous transition - 1000m??? Bloody hell!

What a shame about the goggles fogging up, maybe get a new pair or some of that anti-fog solution? I've used the anti-fog stuff and it works well. I laughed at the bit where you got re-directed by the paddle board guy!!! ;-)

It sounds like a challenging race and you did well, you finished within your goal time and finished strong. Good job on not walking during the run! Bring on Busso, like you said you're in fantastic shape and it will be brilliant!

2011-01-12 6:03 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Great race Nigel but that transition is grossly unfair!!  Magda's right, the anti-fog solution is brilliant.  Fantastic for not walking, especially after stubbing the toe, bet many very bad words were mentioned.  Your are well-placed for the run-up to Busso - an Olympic PB with 5 months training still to go, job well done!  Very proud.

2011-01-12 6:00 PM

User image

Perth, WA
Nice ride and run splits, keep that up for Busselton!
Anything above a sprint distance you really need to pace yourself, so well done there also.
2011-01-13 4:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Thanks for all the great comments guys!  Really appreciate it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series - Race 3 (Olympic) Rss Feed