General Discussion Race Reports! » Alaska State Triathlon Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Alaska State Triathlon Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knik, Alaska
United States
Alaska Triathlon Association
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 01m
Overall Rank = 38/68
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Mom and I picked up Veronica and then picked up Pepper on our way out of town to go to Wasilla and then Knik.
Swim
  • 29m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a nice course... the water was warm! Overall I felt strong and confident.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The transition went well. I just took my time and made sure I had everything I needed.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.76 mile/hr
Comments:

It was fairly flat and didn't seem all that difficult. That said, the biking leg is the one where EVERYONE passes me... No worries though, I felt good through the whole thing.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my biking a bit more but overall I feel really pretty good with everything that went on during the biking portion.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Nice easy transition. I took a quick break after putting on my shoes to use the facilities...
Run
  • 57m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The first half of this run was a booger--lots of sand, bog, and rough trail... It put those little tired muscles to work in my legs and forced me to really concentrate. I walked for about a minute at the beginning of the run and then didn't stop except to grab a quick drink at the water stops. I passed 8 people along the way...wow! That's never happened before... The end of the race was AWESOME--the last mile I felt strong, my stride lengthened and I felt like a runner!!
Post race
Warm down:

I changed out of my race clothes and we piled in the car and drove back to Anchorage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to get better on the bike--it's definately my weakest area...

Event comments:

This was a fun fast race. Really a nice venue!

Last updated: 2005-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:24 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 19/68
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca
Course: The 1500-meter swim will take place in Knik Lake and will consist of a single lap around a triangular course. Turns will be marked by large, triangular buoys with small, round buoys in between. Triathletes will start from the shore and will complete one lap, keeping the buoys on their left. Racers are encouraged to self seed.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:34:35 | 24.85 miles | 15.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 46/68
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: This 40-K bike course features gradual, rolling hills but does not include any extremely steep grades. In general, it is a flat and fast course with one long hill of moderate grade around mile 7. After transitioning on the grassy area next to the lake, athletes will turn right on to Knik Goosebay Road. Bikers will proceed to the "Y" intersection of Knik Goosebay Road and Point Mackenzie Road. Turning right, cyclists will continue to the turnaround located just before the intersection of Point Mackenzie Road and Ayrshire Road. The turnaround spot is obvious; beyond this point the road turns to gravel. Triathletes head back down Point Mackenzie Road to the intersection with Knik Goosebay Road. Athletes take a very sharp right onto Knik Goose Bay Road. After about one mile and right before the Tug Bar, athletes reach the second turnaround. From here it is a straight shot back on Knik Goose Bay Road to the Knik Bar and the transition area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 34/68
Performance: Good
Course: The 10-K out-and-back running course exits the transition area and follows Knik Goose Bay Road for south for 3.1 miles. This is the same direction for the bike leg. After reaching the turnaround, triathletes will return via dog sled trails on the the side of the road. The course is mostly flat with a few short hills of moderate grade. The Finish line will be located near the transition area on the grass next to the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-08 3:15 AM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Subject: Alaska State Triathlon Championship
My mom was in from Kansas for a visit and to cheer me on. My sweet nephew Pepper also came along to help out!

Edited by jeubank 2005-08-08 3:42 AM

(IMG_0137.JPG)

(runningin.jpg)

(afterrace.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0137.JPG (72KB - 61 downloads)
runningin.jpg (82KB - 59 downloads)
afterrace.jpg (92KB - 52 downloads)

2005-08-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: #219003

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Alaska State Triathlon Championship
Awesome race!!  Great splits for all 3 disciplines...you really rocked!
2005-08-09 7:29 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Alaska State Triathlon Championship

Way to go Jen! Great race.

2005-08-10 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky