General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Road Runners: Winter Series I Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pikes Peak Road Runners: Winter Series I - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Colorado Springs, Colorado
United States
Pikes Peak Road Runners
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 4s
Overall Rank = 41/291
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Normal breakfast
Event warmup:

Easy running from the parking lot up the hill to registration check in, then back down the hill and out on the trail for a short distance to check the footing. Met a friend back in the parking lot and walked with her up the hill to the starting area.
Run
  • 56m 4s
  • 6.84 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the course a couple times during the week. Due to the warmer weather we had this past week, each time there was less snow on the trail. I decided it was down to the point where I could wear my XC racing shoes as they would provide enough grip/traction in the snowy areas.

When I left my house for the race it was only about 20F. I figured it would be cold and dressed accordingly. However, when the sun came up the temps rose rapidly and I was overdressed. Oh well, had to go as I was dressed and just deal with it.

I started a few rows back and got off to a decent start. Maintained a decent pace down to the trail, then started picking off people as the hills started. I was passed a few times, but I passed many of them again later in the race. In what seemed like a very short time I was at the turn off for the lollipop section and the long climb up. On the way up I caught up with my friend Kim, who is normally much faster than me. I talked with her briefly, then passed. I maintained a steady running pace on the steep areas and passed many people who were reduced to walking. About a half mile from the top I got stuck behind a guy who seemed to speed up every time I thought I would try to get around him. I decided not to expend the energy to pass on the uphill, and when the downhill finally started he was able to remain just ahead of me. I never was able to pass this guy and we ran about the same pace all the way to the finish, with him just a couple seconds ahead.

I ran much stronger than last year and took off almost 3 minutes. It was a pretty solid race.
What would you do differently?:

Dress differently so I wouldn't overheat.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, short jog, easy stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

The was the first of a four race series. The distance increases with each successive race. This was the most challenging course of the four.

Last updated: 2011-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:04 | 06.84 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 20/291
Performance: Good
Course: The race is in Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Starting on a paved road at the Visitor's Center, going downhill to the day use parking lot, then out onto a mostly single track trail. The first park of the trail is winding and rolling terrain. At about the 1.5 mile mark the course turns uphill for about 2 miles. This section is very steep in places. This part of the course is like a lollipop, then it rejoins the main trail again and is mostly downhill to the finish. The main trail was about 30% snow covered and the lollipop section was closer to 60% snow. Most of the steepest sections had snow cover making for slow running.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-10 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: Pikes Peak Road Runners: Winter Series I
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Road Runners: Winter Series I Rss Feed