Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-01-11 4:21 AM
in reply to: #3291179

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: sleeveless vs. sleeved wetsuit
MUSKOKAFIVEOH - 2011-01-10 7:55 PMI go sleeveless.
For me, it's a better fit, more mobility, and a quicker transition without the worry of tearing a sleeve. I don't find the sleeves are any warmer in cold water. My real problemin really cold water is my head. A neoprene cap does wonders.  I too am built for power. Big upper body and arms make the sleeves something of a problem.

Consesus seems to be the other way.
If full sleeves are slower in T1 than a sleeveless, you need transition practice. The top comes off during the run from the water to transition area, so there should be no difference between the two. I'm with you about a cold head, though. My head, hands, and feet freeze when the water temp is below 60 or so.

2011-01-11 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3290123

You will always be faster in a well fitted full sleeve wetsuit.

Ever notice that how on the ITU world Cup circuit, where the swim is absolutely critical, and every second counts( loose 5 - 10 sec on the swim and your day can be done), that every athlete wears a full sleeve wetsuit when wetsuits are allowed.

Many people shopping for wetsuits don't take the time to find the best fitting wetsuit for them. Get an ill-fitting full-sleeve wetsuit because of a deal, or some other reason( marketing??) and then have a terrible experience with it. Then they swear off full-sleeve suits for the rest of their tri life!

Key point - if you are serious about getting the best fitting wetsuit for you - take your time and find the best fitting one for you. Wetsuit performance both speed and comfort is all based on fit.

I know that direct blog posts are frowned on here, but I do go into detail about the whole sleeveless vs sleeved debate on a post on my blog. If you hunt around for it I am sure you will find it.

Hope this helps.

2011-01-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3290146

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: sleeveless vs. sleeved wet suit
DV 1 - 2011-01-10 11:55 AM I can speak with very lmited experience, but just recently bought a sleeved Xterra suit, mildly concerned about the mobility issue, and can say without a doubt that my mobilty was not compromised to any noticeable degree. The suit flexed and felt absolutely great throughout my trial swim. The fabric technololgy is absolutely incredible on these suits.

x2

I had the same concerns.  Went back and forth but decide to get the sleeved first because if I didn't like it I could return it for a sleeveless (Xterra return policy).  If I had tried the sleeveless first I'd have never known if I liked the sleeved. 

Bought the cheap (er) Xterra full sleeve and haven't had a problem.  It takes a while to get it on properly but it really doesn't inhibit my shoulders. 

enjoy,
Duane
2011-01-11 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3290123

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I hate cold water. Figured if I needed a wetsuit, I would need sleeves.

Got a sleeved wetsuit. I can't swim more than 500 yards in it without feeling completely exhausted. Sucks to swim in it.

Got a sleeveless wetsuit. I can swim forever in it. While I FREEZE in my sleeveless wetsuit, I know it's the only thing I can swim in. So I suck it up and use it.

BTW- I have a female's sleeved wetsuit for sale. Ha!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sleeveless vs. sleeved wetsuit Rss Feed  

of 2