User image

Expert
North Central WV
Subject: RE: Dairy Debate
pitt83 - 2011-01-12 12:16 PM
LGraff - 2011-01-12 12:06 PM
lisac957 - 2011-01-12 10:55 AM
VeganMan - 2011-01-12 10:43 AM
...maybe it's really the EFFECTS OF THE EXPOSURE that hang around for 7-10 days. The aftermath of a gluten-filled meal on a celiac will not go away in just one day.

I think this is what a few of us are trying to say....does anyone object to this?

As a celiac I can confirm this!
The gluten damages the small intestine, thus preventing normal digestion for sometimes days afterward (every person is different - for me it is about 48 hours. For my sister, she will sometimes have issues a week later). I am hearing those with other intolerances like lactose have similar extended symptoms/effects.

I'm lactose intolerant and it's pretty much the same thing.  Depending on what it is that I eat and how much, I could have problems that day, it could take 2-3 days.
Carbohydrate Chemistry for $200 Alex: Sugars are taken up by transporters in the intestines. They bring sugars from your digestive tract into the blood stream where they can be stored in cells to be called on for energy demands placed against the body. Water is used to assist the electrolytic balance of these transporters. OK, glucose / fructose are mono-saccarides. They have 1 molecule of sugar in the structures. Lactose is a di-saccaride, meaning 2 sugars are linked together. The transporter has a specific shape, size and ionic charge to it meaning lactose is tougher to deliver than the mono-saccaride sugar. More water is drawn in to assist, meaning that lots of water PLUS an insult to the transporter, therefore high motility of waste (and inflammation due to an insult to the tissue) is starting to brew. Hence, the typical symptoms of "intolerance" flare up. Everyone has different expression levels and, likely, genetic mutations of glucose (and other) transporters, meaning some of us are more "tolerant" than others. Menaing, some of us can handle more lactose than others. Drug transporters and side effect profiles follow the same logic, except many of these are in the liver and kidneys and not the gut. Liver and kidneys are for clearance and the gut, uptake.

I am curious as to what you are trying to say here about drugs (the bolded bit). I am not understanding your point.

In answer to someone else's question, drugs or their breakdown products can be measured in the blood stream for many days but they don't just "hang out" there.  The body is a very dynamic and complex machine. Blood gets filtered in enormous quantities through our kidneys all the time.  Depending on the chemical and physical properties of things in the blood, they either get peed out or taken back into the blood (where they may undergo any one of many different fates, but just hanging out usually isn't one such fate).

2011-01-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3294829

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
pitt83 - 2011-01-12 12:33 PM
trinnas - 2011-01-12 12:24 PM
...maybe it's really the EFFECTS OF THE EXPOSURE that hang around for 7-10 days. The aftermath of a gluten-filled meal on a celiac will not go away in just one day.

I think this is what a few of us are trying to say....does anyone object to this?

The gluten damages the small intestine, thus preventing normal digestion for sometimes days afterward (every person is different - for me it is about 48 hours. For my sister, she will sometimes have issues a week later). I am hearing those with other intolerances like lactose have similar extended symptoms/effects.

I'm lactose intolerant and it's pretty much the same thing.  Depending on what it is that I eat and how much, I could have problems that day, it could take 2-3 days.
Carbohydrate Chemistry for $200 Alex: Sugars are taken up by transporters in the intestines. They bring sugars from your digestive tract into the blood stream where they can be stored in cells to be called on for energy demands placed against the body. Water is used to assist the electrolytic balance of these transporters. OK, glucose / fructose are mono-saccarides. They have 1 molecule of sugar in the structures. Lactose is a di-saccaride, meaning 2 sugars are linked together. The transporter has a specific shape, size and ionic charge to it meaning lactose is tougher to deliver than the mono-saccaride sugar. More water is drawn in to assist, meaning that lots of water PLUS an insult to the transporter, therefore high motility of waste (and inflammation due to an insult to the tissue) is starting to brew. Hence, the typical symptoms of "intolerance" flare up. Everyone has different expression levels and, likely, genetic mutations of glucose (and other) transporters, meaning some of us are more "tolerant" than others. Menaing, some of us can handle more lactose than others. Drug transporters and side effect profiles follow the same logic, except many of these are in the liver and kidneys and not the gut. Liver and kidneys are for clearance and the gut, uptake.

I just love it when you talk nerdy!!!!!  and Bio nerdy to boot!!!! 
Don't get me started on skin and nasal routes of delivery. That's boudoir talk there!

Yes you will have to save that for drinks at AACR.
2011-01-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3294833

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Malgal - 2011-01-12 12:35 PM

I am curious as to what you are trying to say here about drugs (the bolded bit). I am not understanding your point.

In answer to someone else's question, drugs or their breakdown products can be measured in the blood stream for many days but they don't just "hang out" there.  The body is a very dynamic and complex machine. Blood gets filtered in enormous quantities through our kidneys all the time.  Depending on the chemical and physical properties of things in the blood, they either get peed out or taken back into the blood (where they may undergo any one of many different fates, but just hanging out usually isn't one such fate).

Right. Those are efflux transporters and remove drugs from the blood stream. They are either metabolized to a new compound (usually resucing thier activity), or wait until an uptake transporter (or the efflux transporter in reverse), puts them back into the bloodstream for use. Solubility is the biggest determinant for how long a substance exists in your body. Delta-9 THC (the active component in marijuana), isn't very water soluable, but is fat soluable. Hence your kidneys don't clear it very readily (as they clean up salts and water soluable things) and it can be present for 45 days or more giving a positive drug test. Cocaine is very water soluable and you'll pass a drug test on Tuesday after a party weekend.

The question was raised how drugs (and sugars) were taken up and excreted and I've tried to give a layman's answer.
2011-01-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3294932

User image

Expert
North Central WV
pitt83 - 2011-01-12 1:12 PM
Malgal - 2011-01-12 12:35 PM

Right. Those are efflux transporters and remove drugs from the blood stream. They are either metabolized to a new compound (usually resucing thier activity), or wait until an uptake transporter (or the efflux transporter in reverse), puts them back into the bloodstream for use. Solubility is the biggest determinant for how long a substance exists in your body. Delta-9 THC (the active component in marijuana), isn't very water soluable, but is fat soluable. Hence your kidneys don't clear it very readily (as they clean up salts and water soluable things) and it can be present for 45 days or more giving a positive drug test. Cocaine is very water soluable and you'll pass a drug test on Tuesday after a party weekend. The question was raised how drugs (and sugars) were taken up and excreted and I've tried to give a layman's answer.

He he he - I am a pharmacologist and didn't quite get what you were saying so I am not sure how "lay" it was   And when you say "taken up" do you mean how do they get get in to the circulation?  I couldn't see the original question you were trying to answer.  I would think that most drugs that are taken orally undergo simple diffusion from the small intestine into the portal circulation.  I would also think that most drugs that are in the urine get there by filtration, not by active transport from the blood.  Most drugs that are reabsorbed from the tubule into the blood do so by simple diffusion.  Drugs are usually (but not always) metabolized before they hit the kidneys because most drugs are taken orally and pass through the liver before the kidney.  I could go on because I am very passionate about pharmacology, but I don't want to steal the thread and bore the masses
2011-01-12 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3295036

User image

Melon Presser
Malgal - 2011-01-13 1:46 AM

He he he - I am a pharmacologist and didn't quite get what you were saying so I am not sure how "lay" it was   And when you say "taken up" do you mean how do they get get in to the circulation?  I couldn't see the original question you were trying to answer.  I would think that most drugs that are taken orally undergo simple diffusion from the small intestine into the portal circulation.  I would also think that most drugs that are in the urine get there by filtration, not by active transport from the blood.  Most drugs that are reabsorbed from the tubule into the blood do so by simple diffusion.  Drugs are usually (but not always) metabolized before they hit the kidneys because most drugs are taken orally and pass through the liver before the kidney.  I could go on because I am very passionate about pharmacology, but I don't want to steal the thread and bore the masses

i've got some mass and i'm hanging on to your every word. singing dramatic operetta under my breath ... memories ...
2011-01-12 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3295085

User image

Expert
North Central WV
TriAya - 2011-01-12 1:57 PM

i've got some mass and i'm hanging on to your every word. singing dramatic operetta under my breath ... memories ...

Erm, do you want me to bore your masses?  Cough.

2011-01-12 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3295103

User image

Melon Presser
Malgal - 2011-01-13 2:02 AM
TriAya - 2011-01-12 1:57 PM

Erm, do you want me to bore your masses?  Cough.

My masses don't bore easily. way too blunt for that

write all you want. you could even write me a novel and i'd like it.
2011-01-12 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3291455

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
*ahem* so,

To dairy, or not to dairy?
2011-01-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3295730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Bripod - 2011-01-12 5:05 PM*ahem* so, To dairy, or not to dairy?
Did you start Monday?
2011-01-13 11:15 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
All I know is that I like cheese and beer together.
2011-01-13 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3297213

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
TriMyBest - 2011-01-13 12:15 PM All I know is that I like cheese and beer together.

Ooooh those together make a great fondue.

2011-01-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3296141

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
VeganMan - 2011-01-12 9:02 PM

Bripod - 2011-01-12 5:05 PM*ahem* so, To dairy, or not to dairy?
Did you start Monday?

Yeah - but I had a moment of mental relapse Tuesday when I ate one of those teeny tiny Snickers bars the area of a postage stamp. There's milk in the chocolate, right? At any rate, today I woke up and was craving a bowl of cereal with moo milk. Otherwise I've felt pretty much the same!
2011-01-22 9:42 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Here are my results so far:

Dec 29 - 228.4
Jan 4 - 218.4
Jan 10 - started dairy challenge
Jan 13 - 215.0
Jan 18 - 213.4
Jan 22 - 210.6

I think the biggest thing with eliminating dairy from one's diet is that it pretty much FORCES you to eat healthy foods. (Assuming you don't go for the subsitutes) you can't eat ice cream, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, milk, anything with cream (including whipped cream, coffee creamer), anything with butter, etc etc. My wife and I have gone out to eat twice since I went off dairy and it's pretty remarkable how much of the menu at each place had dairy of some form or another. Mostly in the form of cream (sauces) or butter.

As far as feeling any different, I guess I really haven't noticed a difference that's above or beyond what I already experienced during the first two weeks of starting my "diet", which is just a more stable hunger cycle and blood sugar/energy levels.

All in all, I do think it's helping me lose the weight at a pretty decent pace. I mean, some people take a couple of months to lose 18 lbs and I've done it in just over 3 weeks! So I'm going to stick with no dairy and see how low I can go. When I met my wife I was 20 years old and weighed 185 lbs, so I figure that's probably my "bottom line", but I'd be happy to be at 200 or lower.
2011-01-23 7:04 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Congrats on the successful experiment! I am also trying to lose weight right now, but just for fun. I don't care whether I am successful or not - just trying to play around with different variables on myself in preparation for a weight loss focus month we will be doing with our triathlon clients next month.
Because I am trying to lose weight, I do not have any dairy 6 days a week. However, I do make two exceptions that you may want to try as well: heavy whipping cream and butter. Both of these are a lot less troublesome as far as negative reactions to dairy and weight gain because it's mostly just the milk fat and nothing else. If you can find either of those from grass-fed cows, that's even better. I like Kerrygold butter and use it every day. If you feel like experimenting, try adding those things back in and see how you feel and how your weight responds. Might make eating out a bit easier.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dairy Debate Rss Feed  

of 4