General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Demoralized after River Cities Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-08-08 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
Subject: Demoralized after River Cities
Wow was this race a kick in the ego! I thought I was ready and was looking forward to finishing under 1:45, but instead I failed miserably and finished in 1:51. Although my time was 8 minutes better than last year I still feel completely defeated. I even pulled out of my next tri! Swim split was respectable 16:29(880 yards), Bike was a disappointing 19.5 mph(56:16) over 18 miles, 5k was an embarassing 34:46. I am admittadly not a good runner, but I thought I could run a 9:00 mile due to all the training the last several months. The most dissapointing was the bike. I have put a lot of time in on the bike this season and only improved a 1/2 per hour. That totally sucks!! That sort of performance makes me want to quit working out since I'm not seeing any better results. A couple of guys I raced with have trained maybe half as much as I did and kicked my a**....now that's tough to swallow. I guess I can complain and quit, or try harder to get better. Congrats to all that did well. There were some impressive athletes in Shreveport.

2005-08-08 11:01 AM
in reply to: #219294

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Demoralized after River Cities

lynch77 - 2005-08-08 10:55 AM  Although my time was 8 minutes better than last year

Focus - You did better than last year.

Now why on EARTH would you pull out of your next race? Just because you came in 6 minutes after you wanted to?  You are going to take your ball and go home? No, you don't do that. You suck it up and you get back out there. You work harder, you don't quit. Quitting is not an option.

(how's my tough love working? )

2005-08-08 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

So, you had a bad day. It happens. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

You still improved from last year, right?

Suck it up.

Get back on the horse that threw you.

One thing I do know for sure. You'll never get better if you quit.

2005-08-08 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
I do not see how your times suck... some of us would kill for times like that
Your time was 8 minutes better than last year. That is a great accomplishment! So what if some people kicked your a**? I have a friend who train half I do and she runs way faster than me... but I cannot live worryng about that. I am sure I am better than her in other stuff.
Don't give up....
2005-08-08 11:14 AM
in reply to: #219311

User image

Elite
San Diego

One of the best quotes that I have heard was from Brad Kearns. He said " Results happen when your motivation is pure"

You have to ask yourself why you are doing this. Is it only to beat your friends?

2005-08-08 11:19 AM

Champion
If you're doing triathlons purely to improve your time each race you enter, you're going to have to face some setbacks and the reality that somedays you just don't have it. Maybe you are in the sport for the wrong reason. It might be time to sit down and ask yourself honestly, "Why am I doing this?"

2005-08-08 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
What a coincidence- I did a 1:51 in my last race three weeks ago, beating my previous time by 11 minutes. I was elated; didn't realize that I should be disappointed and drop out of my next race...

Has it crossed your mind to sit down and analyze your results and put together a plan for your next race? Or are you just going to give up?

Sorry, but I'm having a tough time feeling very sympathetic...

Mark

2005-08-08 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa

Oh no you don't, buckaroo! You don't just get to "quit!" Triathlon and life are like that - they can knock you down. What makes them fun is that each morning you get to start over with new expectations. Learn from this and mount a counter attack. Use this as your motivation to pick up the pieces for your next tri. I know somebody who's gone through a hell of a lot more hurt than you and I and this is what he has to say about quitting:

"Pain is temporary. It might last a minute, an hour,  a day,  a week, a month or a year, but eventually it subsides. Quitting is forever." His name is Lance and he rides bikes.

Fire up!!! 

2005-08-08 11:24 AM
in reply to: #219338

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Umm do you know what I would do for times like that??

You are improving! You are getting stronger. You want to quit because you did not meet some arbitrary goal for time? Sure we all have days when we feel off. I have had running races where I went backwards and it was hard but I have also had breakthrough races where I performed well. I would keep at it.
2005-08-08 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
About your run times. Are you training for 9 minute miles? Are you running them now? In bricks?

Your bike time I cannot say much on since I am so slow and untrained yet but the run. In a road race you might do 9 minute miles but if you are coming off the bike tired you are not going to get those times.
2005-08-08 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
you don't have 'it' every day and every race.

I watched a 2nd place slip as 3 guys passed me on the run. I was 50 seconds per mile off my pace. Just didn't have it. was already pass redline, and they just went by me one right after the other. didn't help that it was all after the turnaround point.

Did it suck? fully. But that's no reason to quit. Maybe re-evaluate things, but certainly not quit.

2005-08-08 11:27 AM
in reply to: #219338

User image

Elite
San Diego

I don't want to seem like I am beating up on you, but probably the reason your buddies are training less and improving more is your training plan. I looked at your logs. I didn't take long to see a flaw in your training. Your bike was 18 miles and you wanted to improve from last year. Your longest ride was 62 miles, a tour. The rest were in the 6 - 12 mile range all about 16-17 mph. If you want to improve you should turn one of your 12 mile rides into a time trial and get some speed going and turn another one into a distance day 40+. You are on your bike a lot but I don't see how you can expect to ride 12 miles at 16 mph all month then all of a sudden convert that into 20+ mph over 18 miles on race day.

Just my opinion.

2005-08-08 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
I wonder if you didn't meet your goals because of some other reason? How was your nutrition? I have learned so much about making sure I am properly hydrated and consumed the right kinds and amounts of food the day before and the day of the race. It doesn't matter how much I have trained, if I'm not fueled, my results will be less than desirable. Maybe you are getting sick? There are so many other factors that could have played in, don't give up!!! Also, I have noticed that I get really burnt out on occasion. Maybe take some time off (a week?) and try to get your love of the sport back. Remember why you wanted to do it in the first place. My theory is, if you don't have fun doing it and love it, why spend the money on the race entries? Take a break, find the fun again, and come back happier and stronger. It is amazing what a good rest can do for you mentally and even physically.
2005-08-08 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
You got 8 minutes faster in a year. That's a huge improvement. Go get back in your next tri.
3 full years of this and lots of races, improvements happen in increments and breakthroughs. Most folks would consider 8 minutes a breakthrough improvement. My improvement in this race was just under 2 minutes, but it was all on the run so I am pretty pleased. Don't give up, the struggle makes you stronger.

Ken
2005-08-08 11:40 AM

User image

Pasadena, CA

I've learned some of these lessons the hard way as well. Even as a coach who makes his living in this sport... I'm not immune to anything, we're all human. I can say that I'm a triathlete/endurance athlete because I love the lifestyle, training with friends, racing and meeting folks all over the country that are just as insane with this lifestyle as I am. You had a less than desireable result and guess what? You will again. It's a part of being an athlete. My best race was when another cyclist plowed through me at 30+ miles an hour, shattering my shoulder blade, snapping my elbow in half, fracturing a vertebrae, broken knuckles with some nice head trauma thrown in for fun. Did I mention that I was pulled off the course fixing my brake that was rubbing? It should have been tough to swallow... train for a year for an IM and it's over in a heartbeat. That's life and that's the nature of athletics. Why was this my best race... I learned more from it than all of my other races combined. That was the first time I had that kind of perspective and I have to admit that only positive things have happened for me since.

You'll bounce back with better results and a better appreciation for it because you grow and learn from your experiences.

2005-08-08 12:20 PM
in reply to: #219358

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
You are right. I do need to analyze my training as well as the reason I tri. I needed some peopl to kick me in the mouth and put things in perspective. I did improve greatly over last year and I will continue to improve. I am certainly going to work harder....no excuses. Sometimes I let my competitiveness blind me to real improvements. I would never quit, but I sure felt like it in the heat of the moment....and even a little after.ha Thanks guy's for your help. I've got a tri to train for!

2005-08-08 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Atta boy!

Re: competitiveness..
I've learned that I really enjoy competition with myself and with the group as a whole. The problem happens (it seems) EVERYTIME I try and compare my race with another individual. I ALWAYS LOOSE!

Keep up the hard work before somebody has to kick you in the teeth!!

You've accomplished a whole lot.. but you've got more to go!!

2005-08-08 1:20 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
I even pulled out of my next tri!

That totally sucks!!

That sort of performance makes me want to quit working out since I'm not seeing any better results.

I don't know how else to say this ... but Boo Hoo. Remind yourself of the countless people that would give anything in order to be able to have a "sucky day", swimming, biking, and running. Yes, I am being straight-forward and harsh. It's what I would expect from others, if I were on "your side of the thread". Take a quick swing by Dick and Rick Hoyt's site if you need reminded of how lucky you are to be training and "sucky racing".

I guess I can complain and quit, or try harder to get better.

Why even bother listing the first two? Are they really choices?

Look at how you trained in the past. Ask around for advice on how you can get faster. More of the same probably won't get it done. Make a list of things you can do in order to get better and busy working on them.

In all seriousness, keep your chin up, refocus, stand-up, shake-it-off, and all the other cliches that apply. You're tough. Get it done.
2005-08-08 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
You finished - 'nuff said. I DNF's after 200 meters in the water at my first Tri this past weekend. If anything I am more determined to complete the Tri I have registered for in September.

Being demoralized is completely different from being defeated. The first is to be expected. The second is a choice.
2005-08-08 2:07 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Umm... sorry, but from MY perspective you are a pretty impressive athlete yourself.  You improved 8 minutes and you are disappointed?  If it was me, I would be stoked.  If I improve by ONE minute I am stoked!

I can only wish I could bike at 19.5 mph, and a 34 minute 5k is a pipe dream for me at this point.  I understand that you want to improve, but I also think that you should realize that you are in a pretty da** good spot right now.  I guess I'm trying to say, be proud of where you are right now, even if you also want to get better/faster/etc. 

At a 19.5 mph average - you do realize that you're starting to get into the really fast area and that improvements will not come in leaps and bounds but in increments - measured by how hard and smart you're working.  It's pretty easy to take a slow bike rider and make them medium to medium fast, it's a lot harder to take a medium fast guy and make them really fast.  12 mph to 13 mph is not as big a jump in performance as 19 mph to 20 mph.  I think you should be happy that you improved, and to me it sounds like you improved quite a bit. 

As far as "guys you train with" - you can't compare your performance to other people, or how hard you have to work to see improvements with other people.  There will always be someone who is naturally faster than you.  By the same token, there will always be someone who wishes that they had your ability and speed.  My sister (who doesn't swim regularly as part of her workout regimen) can jump in the pool and blow me away.  Does this suck?  Yes.  But I am getting better, and one day, if I'm really lucky I'll be able to beat her in the pool.  Of course, this says nothing about what would then happen if she started swimming regularly.

If you're doing triathlons to stomp your training buddies into the ground, then figure out what you need to do to get there.  If you're doing them to get faster, figure out what you need to do to hit that goal.  Not what your training buddies need to do - which may be different/not as much/easier than what YOU have to do.  However, you do need to realize that there is an upper limit on your performance, and as you get closer to it, speed increases and better race performance is harder to come by.

2005-08-08 2:08 PM
in reply to: #219547

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Wookiee - 2005-08-08 1:49 PM
Being demoralized is completely different from being defeated. The first is to be expected. The second is a choice.

Dennis.. that is awesome.. you need to enter that in teh quotes database..

If you don't .. I will.

2005-08-08 3:43 PM

User image

Expert

Just my 2 cents, but if all you're wanting to do is beat your buddies, just wait for them to head for the swim start.  When they've gone, let a little bit of air out of their tires, tie their shoe strings together and turn their seats backwards on their bikes

Even if they still beat you, you'll be able to laugh you a$$ off later on when you hear them saying "Some cruel son of a @#$%^ ruined my bike and my run!!!!"  Keep in mind though, what goes around comes around.

2005-08-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: #219434

User image

Master
La Crosse
lynch77 - 2005-08-08 1:20 PM

I needed some peopl to kick me in the mouth and put things in perspective.

BOOT!

waskelton - 2005-08-08 3:08 PM

Wookiee - 2005-08-08 1:49 PM

Dennis.. that is awesome.. you need to enter that in teh quotes database..

If you don't .. I will.

Second.

2005-08-08 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
De Queen, Arkansas
Thanks guys. After some introspection I realize I acted like an idiot to be so pissed. About beating my buddies.....I expect for them to beat me because I have about 20-30 lbs on them not to mention they are simply better runners than I am ( although i didn't expect to get creamed). I am mostly frustrated over my run split and the fact that I had to walk some of it.....even after all the training. Lesson learned. Now I know where to focus. Thanks again for all the smacks in the mouth and encouragement. This board is great!
2005-08-08 6:17 PM

Champion
In the words of the astute Gordo Byrn...put your greatest effort into where it will do the most good. That's the run. Cycling and swimming are all about overcoming resistance, and the increase in speed is a result of the power squared to overcome that resistance. So it makes less sense to improve from 19 to 20 mph on the bike than it does to gain the same amount of time on the run...you use less effort doing the latter.

Edited by max 2005-08-08 6:18 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Demoralized after River Cities Rss Feed  

of 2