General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deep tissue massage -- anything more than torture? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-14 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Deep tissue massage -- anything more than torture?
For Christmas I was given some massage gift certificates.  I cashed one in today, for a massage from a therapist who came highly recommended as someone who works well with athletes.

I'll say first that I thought he was very professional, communicated well, etc..  I have no complaints.  (The massage was one hour, all lower body, two thirds on my right leg, which is where most of my problems are.)

But wow.  I've been told I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and I did indeed tolerate it, and tried to focus on staying relaxed, but wow.  I mean...ouch.  (He said to me:  "You do Ironman so I know you have mental toughness."  Yeah, maybe so, but they don't do this to you in an IM.  My wife's reaction was: "No, you do it to yourself".  She's a funny lady.)

My questions to those with experience or knowledge here:

1.  What, if any, benefits should I expect from this?  And are they worth it in your opinion?  And why?  (I do have nagging issues -- not exactly full-blown injuries, but continuing 'issues' -- in my right leg due to the effects of surgery a few years ago.)

2.  How do you slot it into your training?  I'm especially interested in how it sits relative to hard days on the run and bike.  I was going to do bike intervals today but I'm not up for it after my torture session.  It feels like I ran a hard 20 miler yesterday.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

2011-01-14 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3300348

Subject: RE: Deep tissue massage -- anything more than torture?
First off, if it hurts you might want to tell them while there doing it.  Ask them to back off the pressure most of the time it helps.  I have had one or two that were a little painful untill I spoke up and it seemed to help. 

I dont get them too often but I do make it a point to get one when I star feeling jacked up.  I have heard good things from athletes that get them before a race but only when they have a good history of massages from a regular therapist.  Mostly to help relax the day or days before a big race. 

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New user
Deep tissue massages are torture. Some people can take them and some can't. I used to get them once a week and after a while you get used to them. You are also less sore when you get them regularly. I usually go workout the same day after I get a massage. It doesn't affect me. Some people say not to workout after you get a massage but I've trained with pro athletes and they would all workout after a massage session...
2011-01-14 4:24 PM

I'm glad you asked this.  I got my second ever on Wednesday nite, and apparently the other one wasn't deep tissue...  :^.  It was a 1.5 hour GC from my wife.  I thought I would fall asleep, but it hurt too much!   I said my shoulders were tight from swimming, she got up under the scapula both sides and was workig on some knots, I thought I was gonna cry.  My shoulders were burning as I was walking out.  Lots of water afterwards, and just rest.

I thought there was no way I could swim last night, as it hurt even to reach, but I did, and had a pretty good swim.  This morning, still slightly sore, but I have to say my back and shoulders feel incredibly strong.  My wife says it's because they've opened up. 

Next time will be an hour though.... 

2011-01-14 4:50 PM

Veteran
I got deep tissue massages every week for a year and it hurt like the devil the first few times.  However, I have never been healthier or more injury-free than when I was getting worked on regularly.  My therapist always told me that you don't necessarily get a massage to enjoy the hour itself, but for the hours of pain-free living you get later in the week.  It was amazing and true.

Then he up and moved to LA without any regard for my massaging needs.  Selfish!  Smile

2011-01-14 5:56 PM

Veteran
I've had many deep tissue massages- and find that I feel fantastic- 24-48 hrs post massage. I don't think I would have a deep tissue one done right before a race- but I've found about 5 days pre-race have felt ok. In fact- am due for one- and yup- they hurt like a son-of -a gun..... but I find they sure help!

PS- be sure to take in lots of water post massage!
2011-01-14 6:44 PM

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

I never believed in the value of a massage until I had the DT.  I now get them every couple of months and find them of great value after a big race or long hours of training.  Stick with it.

2011-01-14 7:30 PM

Bloomington
Ditto on all the above. Especially drink lots and lots of water for the next 24 hrs - helps flush all the toxins out of your system. Also a warm bath with Epsom salts that evening before bed works wonders.
2011-01-15 12:34 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Another plug for deep-tissue massage:  I suffered from plantar fascitis from almost when I started running at ago 10 to about age 20--probably due to the fact that running shoes back then weren't what they are today, and there was really nothing suited for kids or women runners. At times I was in pain 24/7.  I tried everything--taping, orthotics, icing, anti-inflammatories.... nothing really worked beyond getting the pain to tolerable levels sometimes. The podiatrist said the only option left was surgery, and there were no guarantees.

Then a woman who used to do massage for the East German Olympic team (really) moved to town and opened up shop. A fellow runner recommended her and I went.  I think she was twice my size and was using her entire weight and strength!  I was in tears every session and could barely walk afterwards for several hours. But after three or four weeks--no more plantar fascitis.  It has never come back, even after 20 years.  It works. (One caveat--give yourself at least 48 hours to recover before a hard workout or race.) Go for it!  I just wish I could find a qualified therapist around here (Saigon) to work on the aches and pains of my no-longer-20-something body!
2011-01-15 9:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-15 11:45 AM

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
A. I do it when I want to accelerate healing or on a rest day.
B. I keep threatening my MT that one day I am going to ask her just for a back rub, and enjoy it.

I beleive that Deep Tissue Massage is most beneficial when you get to the amount of pressure where you cannot relax your muscles, and then back off.
2011-01-15 3:42 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.  I will definitely stick with it for now.
2011-01-15 7:50 PM

Champion
Austin, Texas
I now use MT as a preventative measure along with everything else.  I've broken my back twice and have some serious issues as a result of those breaks - so I go and get worked over once a month (as that's what I'm allowed to be reimbursed for according to my medical plan) whether I feel I need it or not.  It's also helped with hamstring, calf, and shoulder issues whenever I've had those come up during training. 

I lof my MT Frank... he hurts me so good.  I've already asked if he would move to England with me, sadly he said no, which is just unacceptable.  I think I may have to kidnap him and force him to come with me. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deep tissue massage -- anything more than torture? Rss Feed