Disney World of Sports
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 13s
Overall Rank = 5191/12409
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 904/1975
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at Disney on Thursday and settled in to our room. We took the kids to Harry Potter land on Friday. We were battling a few nagging knee and foot problems as well as being somewhat undertrained. But the goal was to have fun and finish the weekend.
Event warmup:

Up at 2:50AM ugh - this was the worst part of the day. Put my running gear on and packed extra stuff in the gear check bag. Took my apple w/ pb with me and ate it on the bus.

We got to the start way to early and ended up standing around waiting for the gates to open to walk over to the corrals. We decided to arrive much later the next morning.

Not a thing except stay warm and walk to our corral. This was going to be the easy day so I was not concerned about today at all as long as Tony's knee held up.
Run
  • 2h 35m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't remember what the temp was or much else about the weather because the first ten miles were run in the dark. Tony and I were trying to complete the Goofy Challenge so the goal for the first day was to take it slow. Save our strength for Sunday and to make sure he did not hurt his knee.

We had planned on running a 2:15/18 half but we went even slower. Tony could feel a few twinges in his knee so we added more and longer walk breaks. I was perfectly happy to accomodate because I wanted to be fresh for Sunday.

I taped my right foot around the ball of my foot and added some supporting tape around the arch. I had a bad flair up in my big toe joint on Friday so I was trying to give it some extra support. My arch and heel never did bother me.

The race was fun. It was really neat to run through the parks at night. There were also characters along the way. We did not stop for any pictures during the half but I was scoping out places for Sunday to stop. The course was super flat. Tons of crowd support and aid stations.

I loved running up Main Street in Magic Kingdom then looping around to run through the castle. The half course went though Magic Kingdom and Epcot. The rest of the course ran along the roads in between the parks.

All in all a fun morning. We were done 8am and back in our room by 9am in time for breakfast.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I came through the day feeling strong and fresh for Sunday.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank our muscle milk and headed back to the room. Took a short ice bath, did some stretching and wore my compression socks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Super well organized race. Great crowd support and volunteer crew. It was a race unlike anything I've experienced. Definitely worth the hype and worth adding to someone's must do list.

Last updated: 2010-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:35:13 | 13.1 miles | 11m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 904/1975
Overall: 1975/12409
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and more flat except for a few slight inclines over bridges and on/off ramps. Run through Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes