General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

San Francisco Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
runsfm
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 6s
Overall Rank = 1858/8430
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 255/746
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in a small hotel in the middle of Union Square...the good: close to all, only about 2 miles to the start...the bad: close to all, especially the restraunts, bars, nightclubs, which led to a very noisy, sleepless first night. We asked for a room changed on the second night (before the race) and we were placed in a much quieter room, away from all the action. The morning of the race, our group met in the lobby of the Westin around 4:30AM. We took a brisk 30 minute walk to the startline, hit the PP's and jumped into a coral...wasn't my wave, but that was okay, since this was my first Half Mary and I wanted to hang with the group at the start.
Event warmup:

The warmup was the walk to the start line. 30 min and 2 miles later, we were at the starting line, all warmed up from our brisk walk. I stretched as we waited for our wave to start.
Run
  • 2h 02m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this was my first Half Marathon, I went into the race with the mindset of just enjoying the experience of running through this historic city. Well, after the first couple of miles, my competitve fire was lit and I started pacing my run and set 2:00 as my goal. Needless to say, had I not stopped to snap some pictures at the turnaround point on the GG Bridge, I would've hit my goal! After getting off the bridge, the course started to get hilly. I found myself gaining strength up the hills as many of the runners decided to walk...I found that very motivating :) I finished strong with a nice kick at the finishline. As I saw the the full marathoners continue on, I vowed that the next time I run SF, it will be the 26.2!
What would you do differently?:

Not stop for pictures, plan my race pace out prior to the event. Run the full marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

As I waited for my group to finish, I found a spot along the side of the finish line to snap pictures. As soon as the majority of the group fisined, we grabbed our medals, made our way throught the food line and grabbed our thermal warmers (the winds kicked in and I started to feel the cool SF weather settling into my muscles). A couple of the runners in our group finished their Ca. Dreamin' series with this run and collected their beautiful medal. We walked to the buses for a 40 min ride that would drop us off about 1/2 mile from the startline.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not determining a race pace or a setting a finishing time, unfamiliar with the course, starting in the later waves.

Event comments:

This was my first half marathon and my first leg of the California Dreamin' series. Despite the huge number or runners, the event was very well organized. Since we stayed walking distance from the race, we avoided the stress of driving to the event. Once again, the historic landmarks made this a memorable first half Mary, not to mention running over the Golden Gate Bridge. I would definetly do this race again. In fact I am choosing this hilly, challenging course to be my first full marathon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:06 | 13.1 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 255/746
Overall: 1858/8430
Performance: Average
Course: Very scenic, loved running over the Golden Gate Bridge and all the other famous SF landmarks (Peir 39, Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square). It was a little hilly towards the end, but that was fine, since that's what trained on around my house. It got tight on the bridge, so my paced suffered a little as I had to weave in and out, slow down, speed up, just to get into open spots. I quickly learned the importance of starting in the front waves, to avoid slower runners and the walkers...especially on the tight portions of the course. I actually stopped when I reached the the turnaround point on the Golden Gate, to snap a couple of pictures (yes I ran with my camera). I offered to take a picture of another runner and he returned the favor...got a pretty awesome picture of the GG Bridge with a ton of runners in the background.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-16 5:42 PM

User image

Chula Vista, CA
Subject: San Francisco Marathon - Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed