Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-13 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3305239

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Subject: RE: Newton Running Shoes ROCK!
I just got a pair of Sir Isaac's and I love them but....

I did two runs in them last week (just over 6 miles total) and now I'm walking like I spent the night in jail

When I'm no longer limping I'll start the introduction period over again and slowly build up my mileage to the point where the Newtons replace my Asics.

2011-06-14 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodstock, MD

I've had my Sir Isaacs for a couple months now. Not sure I'm sold on them. They put more strain on my calves than my VFF did.

I'll stay with them a while longer before I make my final decision.

2011-06-14 10:40 AM

User image

Pro

I bought a pair.  started training up in them.

then realized:

1.  I had been running injury free for nearly a year. (i.e. why change)

2.  I already upped my cadence to 180 and changed my stride to mid-foot (i.e. don't need the shoes to change how I run)

3.  my weakness has always been my achilles and these shoes were harder on them.

4.  they don't run down hill.  I run way too many hills to not be able to strike on my heel on the way down.  Basically- I want the flexibilty to use my heel when I need to.

5.  They're $175. 

6.  I ran the exact same pace, with our without them.

7.  I didn't want to spend 3-6 months breaking my body into new shoes.  I want to spend that time training for an HIM.  My calves are fatigued enough as it is.

8.  My calves already cramp up when I get off the bike.  No sense in wearing shoes that REQUIRE you to use your calves even more.

9.  They're lousy on trails.

On the good side- they were light, comfy and had great responsive padding under the ball of my foot.  I did like that part.  They do have a neat feel. 

OK- tell me where I'm wrong?  flame away.

2011-06-14 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
No thank you.  I do not like my juice to wear tights.
2011-06-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3548335

Houston
morey000 - 2011-06-14 10:40 AM

I bought a pair.  started training up in them.

then realized:

1.  I had been running injury free for nearly a year. (i.e. why change)

2.  I already upped my cadence to 180 and changed my stride to mid-foot (i.e. don't need the shoes to change how I run)

3.  my weakness has always been my achilles and these shoes were harder on them.

4.  they don't run down hill.  I run way too many hills to not be able to strike on my heel on the way down.  Basically- I want the flexibilty to use my heel when I need to.

5.  They're $175. 

6.  I ran the exact same pace, with our without them.

7.  I didn't want to spend 3-6 months breaking my body into new shoes.  I want to spend that time training for an HIM.  My calves are fatigued enough as it is.

8.  My calves already cramp up when I get off the bike.  No sense in wearing shoes that REQUIRE you to use your calves even more.

9.  They're lousy on trails.

On the good side- they were light, comfy and had great responsive padding under the ball of my foot.  I did like that part.  They do have a neat feel. 

OK- tell me where I'm wrong?  flame away.

I rotate among Newtons, Asics (I forgot which), Vibrams, and my socks.  I've been running in Newtons since 2008 and I really love them because they are light.  They work well on conrete.  However, I have to agree that they don't work well on grassy hills (or what count as hills here in Houston) or grassy, dirt trails.  In fact I hate all sneakers for grass and dirt and I usually just run in my socks or Vibrams.  I wear Asics and Newtons for both long and short runs, but I prefer Newtons for runs over 10 miles.

Also, I wear orthotics in both the Newtons and Asics. 

2011-06-14 3:48 PM

Veteran
Lost, Florida
Just ordered a pair.  Should be here by Friday.

2011-06-14 7:00 PM

User image

New user
San Francisco, CA

"I'm new to barefoot running world and minimalist shoes..."

Newtons felt a little convoluted and maximalist to me and I'd never put them in that category.  There's way too much going on underfoot.

Though, I did love mine... until I ended up with several fractures in my calcaneous. I'm not a heel striker, nor did I build up mileage at an unreasonable rate... I, apparently, have very fracture-prone bones and what I thought was my body getting used to the shoes (calf pain subsiding) was really me altering my gait to land more towards the heel in an effort to quell that calf pain, which the shoes weren't equipped to handle.

Someone very smart in a forum the other day said, "These shoes don't force or even promote a forefoot strike, necessarily, but you MUST have one to safely use them."  For whatever reason (trying to adjust so that I wasn't in pain), they actually moved me away from my midfoot strike, which caused the fractures, and I should have caught that.

In the end, I figured no shoe was worth that much trouble, though they were cute as a button!

2011-06-15 12:01 AM

User image

I ordered Newton #6 this week, the black and silver Momentum trail runner.  Bought so far:

Gravity - July 2010

Momentum, lime green - Oct 2010

Distance neutral - Jan 2011

Distance S - Jan 2011

Motion - Feb 2011

I agree with what a lot of posters said here about slowly adjusting to the Newtons, like a couple of short runs in them two or three times a week.  I think Newton recommends no more than three miles each week for a few weeks.

I was not sold on the first pair I bought, the Gravity's.  I ended up using them at IM Branson, then thought of returning them to RR Sports.  However, I was past the 60 day return policy, so, I was forced to keep them.  This turned out to be the best deal after all because it was then that I was finally used to them.  I run exclusively in Newton's all the time.  I even wear them around the office I work in Monday-Friday (I get some confused looks, like, "Those are some REALLY bright shoes - what are they?!?")

I can't tell a huge difference in the Gravity's and the Motion's and the two different styles of the Distance.  The Motion's and the Distance S are the stability versions, and I do feel that stability when I use them for anything over 10 miles.  I wear the green Super Feet orthotics in them all the time.

I've experienced the shoes do exactly what the literature says they do.  I got sore calves the first few weeks from using them, but, my body adjusted.  I also changed my gait from a heel striker to a mid-foot striker three months before trying the Newtons.  I cannot go back to my previous shoes (NB, Asics, Merrell, Salomon) because they had these mammoth heels.  I learned the key was learning how to run like barefoot in minimalistic shoes shaped like my feet instead of wearing shoes that promote the inefficient heel strike with those huge heels, imho, that throw off the structural alignment of the body, from foot to neck.

I would recommend Newtons, but, try them out slowly over a period of a couple of months to let your body adapt.  Once I adapted to my first pair of Newtons, I went right into my regular long runs when I picked up my second through fifth pair.

Incidentally, I found the Newtons fit well right out of the box, with no break in period to loosen them up.  Shoes should be comfortable right out of the box.  If they are really stiff, and you or the salesperson say that "in time" they'll eventually loosen up, try another model or brand.  Your body will thank you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newton Running Shoes ROCK! Rss Feed  

of 2