General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim in Seattle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-08 5:04 PM

User image

New user

Corvallis, OR
Subject: Open water swim in Seattle
I am doing the Emerald City Open water swim in a couple of weeks. I am a little nervous and I was wondering if anyone has been in the water or knows anything about it. It is at Andrew's Bay, Lake Washington (Seward Park). Any helpful hints would be great. This is my first open water race and if I do ok I might sign up for a sprint tri. Thanks
Beth

2005-08-08 5:06 PM
in reply to: #219796

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-08-08 6:17 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City
Subject: RE: Open water swim in Seattle

I am attaching this link for more info on Seward Park.

http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/SewardPark/beach.htm

I personally haven't swam there.  I did do my first ever "fresh water" open water swim at Mathews Beach, which is also at Lake Washington.  The water was ok.  There were lots of ducks in the water, which I am sure will not be a problem during an event.  The water is sort of clear and you can see the bottom.  The water is chilly.  I didn't wear a wetsuit. There are a few more folks here that may have more info on Seward Park.

Good luck for your event.

2005-08-09 12:26 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
An open water swim race? I'm there!
2005-08-09 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
I swim at Seward Park every week on Thursdays at 7pm.  You are welcome to join me this week.  But since you are from Oregon, I am thinking not.  The water has been really warm the last few weeks.  The lake weeds are long and the waves are usually nonexistant or very small.  Anything else I can tell you?  Hope you have a good race! 
2005-08-09 9:51 AM

User image

New user

Corvallis, OR
I live in Corvallis so a trial swim would be difficult. Thanks for all the information it was what I was looking for. If anyone else is interested; http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/Aquatics/openwaterswim.htm

It looks like it is going to be fun. I have swam in the ocean a couple of times and I love swimming in the river here. The current makes it a good workout but it is really not clear. Makes it hard to go in a straight line. I am looking into a practice swim in a lake that is an hour away that is the closest one. It would be cool to actually meet some of the BTers at this race. thanks again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim in Seattle Rss Feed