General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back to Back long runs while building? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-20 5:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Back to Back long runs while building?
Hey Y'all

Just getting started in this Ultra world / lifestyle....I have been reading everything I can get my hands on through the internet and local bookstores....

My first ( and I'm sure not my last) question is...while base building ~ I'm running 30 miles per week 6 days a week and currently with a LR of 9...While I'm base building to do either a 50k or 50 miler in the fall would it be beneficial if my body could handle it to do back to back long runs on the while building...so for example this week would be with the back to back LR

M-3,
T-6,
W-3,
T-off,
F-9,
S-6,
S-3

2011-01-20 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3310407

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: Back to Back long runs while building?
I'm kind of following a similar plan. I don't think it's critical to do back to back long runs. Running 6 days a week is going to be tough to start with and the adaptation that will occur with this volume will have similar results.

I could share my plan with you if you like or you could look at my logs. For convenience sakes I'll have medium/long runs on Saturday and Sunday but I will switch a medium run to another day if I can and do a shorter run on a weekend day.

I started at 20 miles a week back in October and should hit 50 this week. My longest run I'm doing before my 50K will be around 19-20 miles but it will be during a 68 mile week.

Good luck with your training. It's going to be a blast!

Edited by SCamp07 2011-01-20 8:23 AM
2011-01-20 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the great advice! If possible I would love you see your training plan, I've been looking at a bunch online - but the more information I have to read the better!

I'll PM you my email adress
2011-01-28 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
LSU25 - 2011-01-20 5:59 AM Hey Y'all

Just getting started in this Ultra world / lifestyle....I have been reading everything I can get my hands on through the internet and local bookstores....

My first ( and I'm sure not my last) question is...while base building ~ I'm running 30 miles per week 6 days a week and currently with a LR of 9...While I'm base building to do either a 50k or 50 miler in the fall would it be beneficial if my body could handle it to do back to back long runs on the while building...so for example this week would be with the back to back LR

M-3,
T-6,
W-3,
T-off,
F-9,
S-6,
S-3

As your back to back long runs get longer sending both days into the double digits, you may want to take the day before and the day after off from running.  Cross training would be fine but take it easier on your legs those days.  You want your long runs to really give you maximum benefit. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Back to Back long runs while building? Rss Feed