General Discussion Triathlon Talk » off season training distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-20 12:44 PM

User image

Regular
Waconia, Minnesota
Subject: off season training distance
Hey everyone! I signed up for my first Ironman (Louisville) for this summer. I have a little while yet before I start my actual training program. Currently I am swimming, biking, running and doing other cross training such as cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Just curious on how much distance everyone puts in each week during the off season in each of the three respective sports. Especially wondering what your long run, ride, swim is each week. Right now, without pushing it, I am doing at least one 10-13 mile run each week for my longer run with at least two more 6-8 mile runs each week. I am riding the indoor training for as little as 1 hour and up to 2 1/2 hours for my longer ride and swimming 3 times each week with each session ranging from 1 mile up 3 miles for a long workout. I plan on riding more when I can get outside, I live in minnesota and go nuts on the indoor trainer. As I mentioned I am not stressing my body at these distances as I feel I can go much further, just maintaining and trying to build some more speed at these distances. Thoughts or suggestions please!

2011-01-21 2:06 AM
in reply to: #3311446

Subject: RE: off season training distance
I'm doing the Endurance Nation outseason program.  I haven't ridden longer than 100 minutes or run longer than about 7 miles.  Haven't swam at all.  I'm faster and fitter at this point in the year than any previous.
2011-01-21 5:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Jedd325 - 2011-01-20 1:44 PM

Hey everyone! I signed up for my first Ironman (Louisville) for this summer. I have a little while yet before I start my actual training program. Currently I am swimming, biking, running and doing other cross training such as cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Just curious on how much distance everyone puts in each week during the off season in each of the three respective sports. Especially wondering what your long run, ride, swim is each week. Right now, without pushing it, I am doing at least one 10-13 mile run each week for my longer run with at least two more 6-8 mile runs each week. I am riding the indoor training for as little as 1 hour and up to 2 1/2 hours for my longer ride and swimming 3 times each week with each session ranging from 1 mile up 3 miles for a long workout. I plan on riding more when I can get outside, I live in minnesota and go nuts on the indoor trainer. As I mentioned I am not stressing my body at these distances as I feel I can go much further, just maintaining and trying to build some more speed at these distances. Thoughts or suggestions please!

This all sounds very reasonable to me. Maybe even a bit much for this time of year but if you have the time then do it. Just make sure to focus on your weakest sport above all. Embrace the trainer. It's a great tool.

Jamie
2011-01-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3312700

User image

Bloomington
rexcoltrain - 2011-01-21 2:06 AM I'm doing the Endurance Nation outseason program.  I haven't ridden longer than 100 minutes or run longer than about 7 miles.  Haven't swam at all.  I'm faster and fitter at this point in the year than any previous.

Me too.  This time last year I was running about double what I am now.  It's really freaking me out, I sure hope it works and that I can pick the volume back up when it's time.

That said, I may not be logging the time I was, but I sure am more sore/fatigued than I ever have been.  I'm also running faster and biking faster than I ever have.
2011-01-21 4:56 PM

User image

I grab a winter training plan and somewhat follow it. If I can't make a workout I don't worry about it. I do try to get in one of something each day. Usually an hour to an hour and a half bike, an hour run and/or a half hour swim.

2011-01-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3313396

JustMike - 2011-01-21 6:04 AM
rexcoltrain - 2011-01-21 2:06 AM I'm doing the Endurance Nation outseason program.  I haven't ridden longer than 100 minutes or run longer than about 7 miles.  Haven't swam at all.  I'm faster and fitter at this point in the year than any previous.

Me too.  This time last year I was running about double what I am now.  It's really freaking me out, I sure hope it works and that I can pick the volume back up when it's time.

That said, I may not be logging the time I was, but I sure am more sore/fatigued than I ever have been.  I'm also running faster and biking faster than I ever have.

Same for me.  The 8 hour weeks are leaving me more exhausted than twice that before.  Work works, as they say!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » off season training distance Rss Feed