Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Singapore 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-20 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Subject: Singapore 70.3

This will be my first attempt @ 70.3.  Anyone else doing this race?

I saw that the bike course was changed this year.  it's 3 loops out by changi airport, which makes it more of a TT course (IMO).  I guess that means more time out @ ECP for training rather than the Krangi loop.  What are you doing for training?

Looking forward to this race. I'm going for broke on this one!

2011-01-21 2:30 AM
in reply to: #3312509

User image

, North Island
Subject: RE: Singapore 70.3
I will be there. Doing the BT Silver Plan as best I can. My first HIM was the Desaru Long Distance Triathlon in October last year . . . it was brutal . . . 41 Celsius . . . with nice humidity thrown in . . . I didn't execute my race plan very well (forgot extra water and all my food at T1), and I didn't eat a hearty enough meal the previous night. I think I was overtrained too . . . was under the impression if I kill myself in training the race would be fine . . . this does not work . . .

Hope to see you there. I aim to improve my time of 6:32 to around 5:40.  
2011-01-21 3:58 AM
in reply to: #3312509

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I'm hoping to do this one in 2012--comfortable with the swim and run but just not there with my biking yet this year, and I think it would be better to get tri experience with a few more Olys first. I do have a contract for next year here (and might be staying another beyond that) so should still be in the area. 
2011-01-22 1:40 AM
in reply to: #3312703

User image

Veteran
New York
blominator - 2011-01-21 4:30 PM I will be there. Doing the BT Silver Plan as best I can. My first HIM was the Desaru Long Distance Triathlon in October last year . . . it was brutal . . . 41 Celsius . . . with nice humidity thrown in . . . I didn't execute my race plan very well (forgot extra water and all my food at T1), and I didn't eat a hearty enough meal the previous night. I think I was overtrained too . . . was under the impression if I kill myself in training the race would be fine . . . this does not work . . .

Hope to see you there. I aim to improve my time of 6:32 to around 5:40.  

Hope you get the nutrition right this time around.  I had a buddy who bonked on the run because of poor nutrition management during the race. It's the 4th discipline for sure.  So important.

Best of luck with your target time.  That's a big jump.  I'm aiming for around 5:50, but who knows....

Hope to see you there as well. 
2011-01-22 1:42 AM
in reply to: #3312716

User image

Veteran
New York
Hot Runner - 2011-01-21 5:58 PM Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I'm hoping to do this one in 2012--comfortable with the swim and run but just not there with my biking yet this year, and I think it would be better to get tri experience with a few more Olys first. I do have a contract for next year here (and might be staying another beyond that) so should still be in the area. 

I've got some serious volume to put in on the bike.  I'm trying to get in around 150km a week.  Hope that's enough.  

I hope to share some insight after the race.  Hope you get to this in 2012.  Seems like a good event & a number of top pros come here. 
2011-02-24 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3314807

User image

, North Island
Do you know whether the taxis in Singapore will be nice to me if I want to put my bicycle in a taxi?

I am flying to Singapore on Saturday morning (March 19). My bike will be in a box. I plan on going to the race venue straight from the airport since we have to set up our bikes Saturday. I have read that they say I should order a MaxiCab at the airport, but they are super expensive. I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to get the bike to the venue.

I have the same problem when I go back to the airport Sunday night (no visiting Singapore for me . . . my boss wants me back at work Monday morning). I am looking for a cheap way to get back to the airport from where I will be staying (which is a guesthouse close to the Botanical Gardens).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by blominator 2011-02-24 6:34 PM

2011-02-24 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3371471

User image

Melon Presser
blominator - 2011-02-25 8:32 AM Do you know whether the taxis in Singapore will be nice to me if I want to put my bicycle in a taxi?

I am flying to Singapore on Saturday morning (March 19). My bike will be in a box. I plan on going to the race venue straight from the airport since we have to set up our bikes Saturday. I have read that they say I should order a MaxiCab at the airport, but they are super expensive. I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to get the bike to the venue.

I have the same problem when I go back to the airport Sunday night (no visiting Singapore for me . . . my boss wants me back at work Monday morning). I am looking for a cheap way to get back to the airport from where I will be staying (which is a guesthouse close to the Botanical Gardens).

1. Godspeed!!!

2. What kind of a bike box is it? I have a Thule hard case and that will fit into the backseat of even the small Nissan Sunny taxis here ... so unless you have like one of those huge just-dump-bike-in boxes, it's not going to be an issue of fit, and I don't see why they wouldn't let you put it in one ...

3. I have travelled with multiple, HUGE suitcases (though not quite as big as a bike box) on the MRT ... is that an option at all? Does your bike case roll?
2011-02-25 1:15 AM
in reply to: #3371471

User image

Veteran
New York
blominator - 2011-02-25 8:32 AM Do you know whether the taxis in Singapore will be nice to me if I want to put my bicycle in a taxi?

yeah, it depends what kind of bike box you have.  I have ther Serfas hard case, which is similar to the Thule in size.  It fits in the back seat of all cabs.  You just have to find a cabbie that willing to put it in the back.  Some drivers are very particular on what they're willing to put in a cab.  If that happens, just go to the next guy, it shouldn't be an issue.  The bike check in (East Coast Park) isn't that far from the airport, I'd guess it'll cost under 20 SGD from the airport. 

The MRT is another option, but since you're staying close to the Botanic Gardens, it would be a major pain to do this.  You'd have to transfer trains and there isn't stop that's really close to the Botanic Gardens. 

I also live pretty close to the Botanic Gardens and a cab ride from there to the airport should cost you under 30 SGD (assuming minimal traffic). 
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Singapore 70.3 Rss Feed