General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing for a cause Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-21 9:54 PM

Regular
spokane
Subject: Racing for a cause
I was wondering if anybody knows how to get involved in raceing for a cause. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and I thought it would be a good tribute to race for her. Does anybody know how to get involved? Im not looking for a sponsor so to speak but maybe to buy and wear their jersey in support.
Thanks in advance.
Eric

2011-01-21 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3314669

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Subject: RE: Racing for a cause
My daughter has a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis and the leading research charity actually has an endurance team. have you checked with any of the breast cancer groups (Komen, Cancer Sociiety, etc?) to see if they have an event or team you can participate in? You could also race for Livestrong in honor of your mother. Since my daughter's diagnosis, racing has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I find that when things seem tough, I think of her challenges and feel like mine aren't so bad. I bet you'll feel the same way about your mom and be very inspired. BTW, my mom has had breast cancer twice and is stil going strong. I'm sending good vibes to you and your mom.
2011-01-21 11:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
My mother is a 7 year survivor of breast cancer.  I have honored her by picking cause oriented races.  This year I am doing Tri for the cure, the Komen 3 day, 3 race for the cures and the Austin Triathlon as a part of the Livestrong team.  My only experience has been with races geared towards specific causes.  Maybe try talking to some local businesses to see if they will donate in exchange for wearing their logo on race day?  Best wishes to your mom and the rest of your family.
2011-01-22 5:46 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
My mother is a lymphoma survivor. I do one or two races every year in honor of her with Team in Training for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and mentor for them. LLS welcomes everyone, but their mission is specific to blood cancers. The American Cancer Society is starting (has started?) a similar program that you may want to check out. I wish your mother well in her battle.
2011-01-22 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
El Paso, Texas
Sorry to hear about your mom.  I've had way too much breast cancer in my family and I know what's in front of you is a huge challenge.

You are in Spokane.  The Susan G. Komen Eastern Washington Race for the Cure will be April 17.  At the Susan G they will have "In Honor" race bibs where you can write the name of the person you are honoring.  Or you might be interested in the Honor Bib - http://honorbib.com/- where you could put a photo of your mom on your secondary race bib.

If your mom can enter the race (I don't know when she was diagnosed or what her treatment plan is) she will be given a pink race shirt to wear and the pink shirted people are treated like royalty.
2011-01-22 8:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

Firstly, I do hope your mom gets through this soon.

One thing you should look into when getting involved with a group is how much money actually goes to the cause. Some 'charities' hand over as little as $0.19 on the dollar, the rest going to administrative costs or directors salaries.

2011-01-23 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3314763

Regular
spokane
thank you for the info and good vibes it means a lot.
eric
2011-01-23 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think this idea is great! I personally had plans to do my first 70.3 this summer and use the event to help raise money towards a local hospice group in my area.

But with the arrival of our second child (3 month old) I don't feel that I will have the proper time to dedicate to training right now without sacrificing some family time. Therefore I have decided to wait until next year or so.

I still have some great ideas for helping to raise some funds that will go towards a charity of my choice.
2011-01-23 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stuart
My buddy rasied money I think it was through Janus Funds for a small charity that deals with a brain disorder his son has. It was a program through IMFL. They matched some money based on what he raised. He raised over $10,000 which was 25% of what that charity usally gets in a year so it was a big impact for them. Not sure what other events Janus works with but they had all resources he needed. Sorry to hear about your Mom. Koman society rasies a ton of money and a good chunk of what is rasied in each city stays in that area.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing for a cause Rss Feed