Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Ussual-up early and drive.
Event warmup:

very careful and thorough stretching due to my hip issues and the cold. Some light jogging as well
Run
  • 1h 14m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Resolution Run 10K
Second event of the year for me and I was almost DFL. I picked a 10k, with the attitude that I was going just for experience and training. I knew I was slow, and planned on paying close attention to any weird pains. I started out with a plan of running a 10:1 ratio, modified it to running 1 mile to 2 minutes walk, then picked up to running steady the last 3 miles. Very early on I was passed by a group of women, running very tight together, an unwavering pace and gait, and playful..shooting cell phone pics while never breaking stride. I kept them mostly in view the whole race
Somewhere around half way I noticed that every time I passed a volunteer they immediately picked up their sign/cone whatever and jumped into an suv and left! I'm not stupid I figured out what that meant lol. Thats when I decided to ski my walk breaks and run steady-if slow. I did take the pace up a notch. Pretty soon I was catching up with the "uber runner moms" I mentioned earlier, they were foundering...one girl would drop back, the group would slow, their formation was getting loose and the playfulness had died off..suddenly I had a rabbit to chase. I caught them at about 4.25 miles, then three other solo runners :) Saved from DFL, I focused on a 1:15 finish, my time was 1:14:55.
I have to keep my head right, I know I can do a sub 1 hr 10k, but not at the expense of my leg/thigh healing. I ran well within myself, barely breathing hard, just concentrating on the groin/hip thing.
I know now that I can safely run a steady 5k at least and I can bump up to a 12 minute pace, that's a confidence builder. The time was ok because on Tuesday of this week I did a 5 mile run at home in 1:17.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, I had no intentions of doing anything special at this race.
Post race
Warm down:

More stretches, eat cookies, drink coffee and warm up

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injured hip/quad/thigh

Event comments:

Stonebridge Racers host allot of races at this venue, good people, fun events

Last updated: 2010-12-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:55 | 06.2 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Stone bridge ranch area, mostly flat-some "false flat" over multi use trails
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-22 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: Resolution Run 10k

2011-01-22 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3315227

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Resolution Run 10k
Nice job.

I find that an interesting comment about the running moms. People always talk about the wall in a marathon but there is probably a wall in every race depending on your race condition. I know I have passed plenty of people in 10ks who look like they are doing the death march, when my finish time is 55-60 min.

Anyways, good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution Run 10k Rss Feed