Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A Modest Proposal: Pit Bulls and Humans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-01-24 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: A Modest Proposal: Pit Bulls and Humans
I have A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Pit Bulls of People from Being a Burden to their Owners or the United States, and for Making them Beneficial to the Public at Large...

EAT THEM

I had to start a new thread because I was getting annoyed at the direction and content of the former thread.

I currently own and have owned two other full bred American Pit Bull Terriers. All came from VERY HIGH breeding. Jeep, Honeybunch, Nigerino, Frisco, and Chinaman to name a few of their parents. It is not the BREED but the individual who owns them that WILL PRODUCE a bad dog.

Watch this video to see what became of the Michael Vick dogs...

http://video.pbs.org/video/1757336290 (this aired on PBS last week)

I have been around at least 150 full bred pit bulls (off leash no less) in my lifetime and have never been attacked or had any issue that was not identical to any other breed.

I could go into all of the myths about pit bulls being this psychotic breed of killers, or the history of how the breed has come to this level of ignorance in the world, and even the history of the breed and its role/ association within our society... but I just don't have the energy to type it all out. Let just say it would take me HOURS.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I can give you a list of websites to gather additional information about this misunderstood breed that will hopefully enlighten you to the breed.

Who knows you may come to love as I do and see them as the perfect athlete that gets used by unscrupulous people.

TIA
Ken

Edited by bullyboy 2011-01-24 3:44 PM

(dakids.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dakids.jpg (92KB - 3 downloads)

2011-01-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3318911

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: A Modest Proposal: Pit Bulls and Humans
They look delicious!
2011-01-24 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
You'll get nothing but support from me, as I am a full supporter of "ban the deed, not the breed". Irresponsible animal ownership is a scourge, and damaging to animals and people alike.

I am also the owner of a dog who is threatened by BSL.
2011-01-24 3:52 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
bullyboy - 2011-01-24 3:39 PM I have A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Pit Bulls of People from Being a Burden to their Owners or the United States, and for Making them Beneficial to the Public at Large...

EAT THEM

Huh?

2011-01-24 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3318917

User image

Melon Presser
gearboy - 2011-01-25 4:43 AM They look delicious!

Cackling out loud!!!!

I don't actually have a problem with eating pit bulls. Or cats. I've got two nice ones, and they're getting plumper!

I do think banning certain breeds for the reason that they disproportionately cause more harm than others is akin to banning a make of gun because more violent criminals favor it ... or choosing not to manufacture a drug because it is sometimes used to execute people.

That said, I'd say most dog owners suck at being dog owners (that is, more than 50%). Almost all the people I work with are on the better end of being dog owners (minority) and most of them I wouldn't trust to own any of the bully breeds or traditional/commonly used guarding dogs.

Nobody's got any easy answers.
2011-01-24 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I bet their skin could also make great gloves, so hopefully we don't throw that away when preparing them as food.

2011-01-24 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3318929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
to LisaC957

Jonathan Swift wrote in 1729 "A Modest Proposal" about dealing with the children of the poor in Ireland. He stated that the solution would be to eat the children.

the essay can be found here:

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

by the way it was a satirical essay that was totally misunderstood by the masses.

Edited by bullyboy 2011-01-24 4:18 PM
2011-01-24 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3318944

User image

Melon Presser
jmcconne - 2011-01-25 5:00 AM I bet their skin could also make great gloves, so hopefully we don't throw that away when preparing them as food.

Okay, Cruella de Vil
2011-01-24 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3318929

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

lisac957 - 2011-01-24 3:52 PM
bullyboy - 2011-01-24 3:39 PM I have A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Pit Bulls of People from Being a Burden to their Owners or the United States, and for Making them Beneficial to the Public at Large...

EAT THEM

Huh?

Historical Satire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

2011-01-25 12:04 PM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
My problem, as an apartment manager who is in the middle of a law suit because of a pit bull attack, how can I tell the good owners from the bad.  The woman in question, had two dogs, I met one of them ahead of time and he was very well behaved and was considered a service animal.  She snuck the other one in that then had puppies...that dog was crazy aggressive...would charge at anyone and everyone except the owner.  We didn't have a breed restriction on the property before this, but we do now, but not just Pits...there are other dogs as well.  For what its worth, I allowed the dogs before, because I have the same thought as you...it is the owner, but the owner of the property doesn't want to take a chance anymore. 
2011-01-25 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
There are many good owners who have had their PBs just snap on them. It's not a statistical certainty by any stretch, but it's not something you can just ignore.

People have tigers or bears for pets. A lot are just fine - but there's a higher risk with those "wilder" animals than a scottish terrier. I'd be pretty uncomfortable with my kid in the backyard and my next door neighbour having a few jaguars roaming around, chained or not.

I'd be fine with laws that treat the dogs as weapons. Your dog attacks someone, you face criminal charges no different than if you'd used a firearm. Then we'd see some more owner responsibility.

2011-01-25 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

All dogs are perfectly capable of inflicting damage if they are trained to fight.  The problem with Pitbulls is that no matter how gently they are, what wonderful family pets they make, they will never be able to have the stigma of being fight dogs removed.

I have a friend that is working on having the Dangerous Dog Law in Florida changed and also fighting against Breed Specific Ban.

For those of you who love animals I recommend this site http://www.dangerousdoglaw.com  The guy that runs it is a friend of mine, and retired attorney, who is doing all the work and challenger pro bono.  He and his wife are the parents of 6 dogs, all of them rescued…

2011-01-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3320687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Khyron - 2011-01-25 12:18 PM There are many good owners who have had their PBs just snap on them. It's not a statistical certainty by any stretch, but it's not something you can just ignore.

People have tigers or bears for pets. A lot are just fine - but there's a higher risk with those "wilder" animals than a scottish terrier. I'd be pretty uncomfortable with my kid in the backyard and my next door neighbour having a few jaguars roaming around, chained or not.

I'd be fine with laws that treat the dogs as weapons. Your dog attacks someone, you face criminal charges no different than if you'd used a firearm. Then we'd see some more owner responsibility.

I have to disagree with the MANY adjective above. Coming from a statistical mindset... how many do you personally know that have turned on their owner. Not just "my brother's friend's fiance" variety. I am sure someone could do a study and research records of "snapped APBT's" to compare against the number of "non-snapped APBT's" but I doubt anyone has the time or money to invest in such a study.

So... Eric Harris and Dylon Klebold just "snapped" one day in Colorado and killed 13 and injured 21... Jared Loughner just "snapped" in Arizona and killed 6 and injured 12.

Is it justifiable to use your standpoint of "it's not something you can just ignore" and start treating the youth of America as weapons?
2011-01-25 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3320646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
runningwoof - 2011-01-25 12:04 PM My problem, as an apartment manager who is in the middle of a law suit because of a pit bull attack, how can I tell the good owners from the bad.  The woman in question, had two dogs, I met one of them ahead of time and he was very well behaved and was considered a service animal.  She snuck the other one in that then had puppies...that dog was crazy aggressive...would charge at anyone and everyone except the owner.  We didn't have a breed restriction on the property before this, but we do now, but not just Pits...there are other dogs as well.  For what its worth, I allowed the dogs before, because I have the same thought as you...it is the owner, but the owner of the property doesn't want to take a chance anymore. 

I understand the company and your position of not wanting to take the chance of further legal issues. I find it unfortunate that you all are being held responsible for a negligent owner.

I truly hope the individuals hurt by the dog are ok and have no serious medical issues, but due to the lawsuit I assume that this is not the case.

I hope the owner of the dog is severely punished for their lack of responsibility.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but it would have been great if a policy existed that would have gotten her evicted based on the aggressive nature of the dog or the fact that she had an unapproved/ additional pet.
2011-01-25 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
I am a complete and utter Pit supporter. The only reason I don't have one is because my terrier and beagle would gang up on it.I'm not joking!
2011-01-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3320687

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Khyron - 2011-01-25 12:18 PM There are many good owners who have had their PBs just snap on them. It's not a statistical certainty by any stretch, but it's not something you can just ignore.

Who are these "many good owners"? Where are you getting your statistics? Attacking or biting or showing aggression to their owner is very directly contradictory to breed for an AmStaff or APBT. And this includes fighting dogs. "Maneaters"--fighting dogs who turned on their handlers--were typically destroyed.

AmStaffs/APBTs and many other working breed dogs are bred to be gentle and responsive with their families. They can be animal aggressive (and again, that term is nebulous, and encomapsses many degrees), but should NOT be people aggressive.

2011-01-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3320701

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Society has a cycle of vilifying certain breeds. It comes and it goes. Right now, it's pits. In the past, it's been dobies, GSDs, etc.

Pitties were popular family pets for a long, long time--one of the most decorated war dogs is a Pit. Hellen Keller owned a pit (and an akita--another breed frequently banned as "dangerous").

Hopefully, through responsible ownership, widespread education, and good doggy citizen representatives, the stigma will move off of them again.
2011-01-25 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
bullyboy - 2011-01-24 3:39 PM

I could go into all of the myths about pit bulls being this psychotic breed of killers, or the history of how the breed has come to this level of ignorance in the world, and even the history of the breed and its role/ association within our society... but I just don't have the energy to type it all out. Let just say it would take me HOURS.

TIA
Ken

Sigh....I probably shouldn't even get into this argument.  First, Ken, your pitties are A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!  Second, I hope others can refrain from spreading the myth that Pit Bulls "just snap".  What????   That's pure ridiculousness.  Third, I really do feel bad for property owners that get caught in the middle of this debate - I can see your dilemma.  Finally, let's just be clear that there are good and bad dogs of every breed, and there are tons of irresponsible dog owners out there that ultimately ARE responsible for the problem.

I'm a veterinarian.  Pit Bulls are the least of my worries regarding their interactions with people.  Can they be more dog aggressive (meaning aggressive toward other dogs) than the average breed?  Absolutely.  Are they more aggressive to people than any other breed? Absolutely not.  I've been bitten twice in 11 years - once by a labrador and once by a cocker spaniel.  The labs I see these days are much more unpredictable and scary than the pits.  This week I saw a one year old Vizsla that required a basket muzzle to be touched - all screaming, lunging, and alligator rolling when handled.  Totally a dangerous dog.   I am much more likely to get snapped at by a Bichon, Min Pin, or Springer Spaniel than a Pit Bull.

Here's a letter to the editor to a Madison Newspaper (written by me and published) regarding my feelings on this issue:

All dogs are capable of biting, regardless of breed or background.  The Wisconsin State Journal’s recent articles and photos 
imply that we should consider banning Pit Bulls. A 2006 study from the medical journal Pediatrics reported the incidence of dog
attacks on children aged 0-16 years. The top five biting breeds included: German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, Spitz,
Pekingese, and Dachshunds. Pit Bulls did not make the list in this particular study. It is difficult to define one breed as more
dangerous than another.  In the case of "Pit Bulls" it is even more difficult to define what dog is a "Pit Bull".  Breed specific
legislation will not eliminate the problem of dogs biting people. The primary problem lies in lack of personal responsibility.
Dog owners (of all breeds) must step up to the plate to properly train, socialize, and restrain their pets. Parents need to
supervise and educate their children on how to avoid potentially dangerous encounters with dogs. Local governments
should apply their existing dog laws, and if anything, make the consequences of violations more severe.

2011-01-25 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3321068

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
mmrocker13 - 2011-01-25 2:40 PM

Hopefully, through responsible ownership, widespread education, and good doggy citizen representatives, the stigma will move off of them again.

And then when pigs fly we wouldn't have to read about stuff like this, there is just too large a segment of society that will never be responsible, I'm as much a libertarian as most but the cost in human pain and suffering often of innocent victims and especially children tips the scales in my opinion:

Pit-bull attacks in San Bernardino County

MARCH 2006: TWENTYNINE PALMS - Four pit-bull mixes escape from a fenced yard and attack a 15-year-old boy walking by. He had huge chunks of skin ripped away and required two surgeries to reattach the skin.

FEBRUARY 2005: YUCAIPA - A woman walking near Seventh Street Park is attacked from behind by a pit bull. She scares it away by throwing dirt in its eyes before it can bite her.

AUGUST 2004: LOMA LINDA - A 6-year-old boy wanders into a woman's home. Her pit bull attacks him, biting him on his head, back, stomach and arm.

AUGUST 2003: A police officer shoots and kills a pit bull that severely mauls a 72-year-old woman after escaping from its yard. The woman suffers serious bites on her left leg.

DECEMBER 2001: FONTANA - A pit bull attacks a boy who is riding his skateboard down the sidewalk. When a man tries to intervene, the pit bull turns on him. Both victims suffer major injuries.

JUNE 2000: SAN BERNARDINO - A 5-year-old boy is walking to school with his older brother when a pit bull attacks him, breaking the right side of his jaw.

APRIL 2000: NEWBERRY SPRINGS - A 10-year-old boy dies after a pit bull attacks him while he walks down the road with a friend.

2011-01-25 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3321140

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
There will always be idiots and yayhoos. they will always own "status" dogs. My point is, pits are that dog right now. Decades ago, it was dobermans, or... etc etc etc.

Here's a nice collection of articles citing dog bites from news sources around the country:

It's an interesting read.
2011-01-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3321168

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
mmrocker13 - 2011-01-25 3:25 PM

There will always be idiots and yayhoos. they will always own "status" dogs. My point is, pits are that dog right now. Decades ago, it was dobermans, or... etc etc etc.

Here's a nice collection of articles citing dog bites from news sources around the country:

I appreciate that and am not trying to be inflammatory. I just envision my 5 year son, who is the world to me, possibling being in one of these articles and I'd do anything not to see that happen.

2011-01-25 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3321140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
popsracer - 2011-01-25 3:11 PM
mmrocker13 - 2011-01-25 2:40 PM Hopefully, through responsible ownership, widespread education, and good doggy citizen representatives, the stigma will move off of them again.
And then when pigs fly we wouldn't have to read about stuff like this, there is just too large a segment of society that will never be responsible, I'm as much a libertarian as most but the cost in human pain and suffering often of innocent victims and especially children tips the scales in my opinion: Pit-bull attacks in San Bernardino County MARCH 2006: TWENTYNINE PALMS - Four pit-bull mixes escape from a fenced yard and attack a 15-year-old boy walking by. He had huge chunks of skin ripped away and required two surgeries to reattach the skin. FEBRUARY 2005: YUCAIPA - A woman walking near Seventh Street Park is attacked from behind by a pit bull. She scares it away by throwing dirt in its eyes before it can bite her. AUGUST 2004: LOMA LINDA - A 6-year-old boy wanders into a woman's home. Her pit bull attacks him, biting him on his head, back, stomach and arm. AUGUST 2003: A police officer shoots and kills a pit bull that severely mauls a 72-year-old woman after escaping from its yard. The woman suffers serious bites on her left leg. DECEMBER 2001: FONTANA - A pit bull attacks a boy who is riding his skateboard down the sidewalk. When a man tries to intervene, the pit bull turns on him. Both victims suffer major injuries. JUNE 2000: SAN BERNARDINO - A 5-year-old boy is walking to school with his older brother when a pit bull attacks him, breaking the right side of his jaw. APRIL 2000: NEWBERRY SPRINGS - A 10-year-old boy dies after a pit bull attacks him while he walks down the road with a friend.

I don't like the fact that the dogs were involved and I truly feel sorry for the people hurt and wish them well in their recovery and hope those owners are held accountable.

I am inclined to ask how many people (18 and under) over that 7 year span were killed by gunshot in San Bernardino County? No death is acceptable by dog or gun... and I will concede the argument that those were not the only attacks in the county over that time frame.

Those attacks generate headlines because of the two sides... kids/ elderly vs APBT's. I am pretty sure there have been a couple of pretty heinous rapes and murders in that time frame but did not receive the same attention. I think we need to ask ourselves why we are more aware of certain incidents. Is is the media? Is it our own biases?

Edited by bullyboy 2011-01-25 4:08 PM
2011-01-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3321233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
popsracer - 2011-01-25 3:54 PM
mmrocker13 - 2011-01-25 3:25 PM There will always be idiots and yayhoos. they will always own "status" dogs. My point is, pits are that dog right now. Decades ago, it was dobermans, or... etc etc etc.

I appreciate that and am not trying to be inflammatory. I just envision my 5 year son, who is the world to me, possibling being in one of these articles and I'd do anything not to see that happen.

I would do most anything as well to secure the safety of your family as well as mine. Sadly I think too many people have lost sight of the concept of responsibility.
2011-01-25 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3321233

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I wouldn't want my child/spouse/self/pet being the victim of a dog bite, either.

The point of listing those articles is simply to show that ANY dog can bite--and that the balance of bites isn't as skewed as most folks think it is. The pit bites, because they are "in the hot seat" so to speak, get their stories boosted to headline fodder (one of those "attacks" you list, for example, wasn't even a bit. The dog was following a woman, she threatened it, problem solved. It gets MENTIONED b/c it's a pit bull.)...but there are LOTS of dog bites that make news...people just don't pay that much attention to it.

The second point of posting is to show how many dog bites of ANY breed is are becuase of irresponsible behavior.

The third is to show that if you start listing all the "incidents" each month, while there are some pit/pit mixes...they are balanced out, if not outweighed by other breeds and mixes.

Edited by mmrocker13 2011-01-25 4:14 PM
2011-01-25 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Ontario banned em all, and I'm going to assume they did more research on the subject than the average owner.

http://www.ovma.org/pet_owners/hot_topics/pit_bulls.html

But to take your own point of view, you would then have no problem with me owning and walking my siberian tiger, or my mountain lion, or my black bear? I can point to examples of all 3 that have been tamed well enough not to eat everyone on sight. That doesn't change the fact that they are not domesticated to the same degree as fluffy the house cat.

Also, an attacking poodle or pekenese is a lot easier to deal with than an attacking pitt. And once the jaws have latched on, forget about it - hardest dog to unlatch.

Certain breeds give owners certain kinds of status, unfortunately.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A Modest Proposal: Pit Bulls and Humans Rss Feed  

of 3