Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Training in the tropics . . . Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-26 9:09 PM

User image

, North Island
Subject: Training in the tropics . . .
I am feeling very sorry for myself . . . wallowing in self-pity . . . the cool season's flu got me. and it is a weird one . . . first you get a head cold with turns into a chest cold . . . then just as you think you are getting better, your body starts to ache (and according to my wife) it starts all over again . . . fantastic . . . on top of that, I just had some food poisoning / poisonous bug bite (not sure which one) which created havoc with my intestinal function . . . the Singapore 70.3 is less than two months out . . . great timing I guess (on a positive note), but I will have to miss some of my longer sessions . . . fortunately I know I am not going to win the competition, so I guess it is ok . . .

Welcome to the tropics . . . 

2011-01-27 1:24 AM
in reply to: #3323722

User image

Veteran
New York
Subject: RE: Training in the tropics . . .
blominator - 2011-01-27 11:09 AM I am feeling very sorry for myself . . . wallowing in self-pity . . . the cool season's flu got me. and it is a weird one . . . first you get a head cold with turns into a chest cold . . . then just as you think you are getting better, your body starts to ache (and according to my wife) it starts all over again . . . fantastic . . . on top of that, I just had some food poisoning / poisonous bug bite (not sure which one) which created havoc with my intestinal function . . . the Singapore 70.3 is less than two months out . . . great timing I guess (on a positive note), but I will have to miss some of my longer sessions . . . fortunately I know I am not going to win the competition, so I guess it is ok . . .

Welcome to the tropics . . . 

Sounds a lot like dengue fever.  Have you been checked for that?

Hope you get better soon!
2011-01-27 4:22 AM
in reply to: #3323722

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You have my sympathies!  There's a nasty flu going around here, too. In December, almost my entire class got sick with horrid, phlegmy sinus infections/chest coughs that lasted for weeks, and I was almost afraid to breathe around them (just before my half-marathon). Now it seems to be another flu-type virus that causes high fever, body aches, and dry cough, and affects mostly the adults. Praying I don't get sick just before a kayak trip to Laos next week and a race in Singapore the following. I have asthma and usually the only time I get full-blown attacks is when I'm sick, so just dread it!

I guess dengue is possible if you're having body aches and fever, but it doesn't have a respiratory or digestive component, does it?  More likely just a matter of not taking it easy enough or trying to get back to training too soon. Cold and flu, and a lot of medicines, dehydrate you from the get-go, added to climate and exercise, so it's maybe just virus plus dehydration. Better to go in a little undertrained than unable to start at all.

2011-01-27 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3323913

User image

, North Island
I have been wondering about Dengue because there has been an outbreak in Georgetown a while ago . . . my symptoms are just not severe enough (compared to the friends who have had it) for me to think it is Dengue . . . we have a bad flu making its rounds in our community . . . so I think it is just that . . . will have to go to the doctor if it doesn't improve.
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Training in the tropics . . . Rss Feed