2012-01-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3970909

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
wbayek - 2012-01-04 2:20 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-04 1:35 PM

I would agree with that assessment Dirk. The first one is almost guaranteed to be thrown out the window.

I had a very disappointing workout yesterday.  I did the warmup, then 6 x 4 mins at 20 min power.  Based on my last test, my 20 min power would be 294.  I could not for the life of me maintain 294 for the 4 mins.  It was very frustrating and I was just angry after I finished.  My left achilles is a little tender too; I don't remember when that started, but it's lingering....And it was my birthday.  Crappy workouts on your birthday make it worse.

Happy birthday Jonathan.  It must be something in the water up here: I had the same problem with my first 6x4' workout yesterday.  By set 4 I was seriously in trouble.  I kept thinking that I was able to keep this power up for 20 minutes just last week, and now I can't do it for 4 minutes!?!?!? 

I chalked it up to the moon phases or something.  I'm not near 294, but the concept is the same.  I figure like Jeff said, sometimes you just don't have it.  Take care of that Achilles.  And I'm checking my cleats the second I get home.

Thanks Warren.  I am glad/sorry to hear you had the same problem.  Could be a combination of a lot of things....cookies and holidays included.

Not sure about you, but it's a balmy 14 degrees out.  Tonight's run should be pleasant. :-)

2012-01-04 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3971036

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I have a lot of fond memories of winter running in Minnesota back in the day.

One run was on a day that the whole state was shut down by the cold.  Schools closed, businesses closed.  It was -50F with a wind chill of -80F.  I did an 8 mile run outside.  I had the occasional car (roads were nearly deserted as most cars wouldn't start) honk at me like they were worried I was going to get hurt or something.

Interesting note: EVA foam and even Nike Air soles stop cushioning at that temperature. 

I literally wore goggles to protect my eyes from the cold.  Turtle neck.  Snowmobiling mittens with a long gauntlet nearly to my elbow. thermal underwear, sweat pants, insulated windproof pants...same kind of layering on top.  Full facemask.  The only problem was that the underside of my chin was exposed and would have frostbitten, so I put the turtle neck in my teeth to protect that area.

When I finished I had a foot long icicle hanging off the bottom of the facemask from freezing breath and the turtle neck was frozen to the facemask so I couldn't immediately remove it.

Running outside in that weather gave me quite a thrill!

2012-01-04 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Oh definitely Jeff.  I ran up at my dad's house at about -12 with the wind chill last week.  It was great.  Once I warmed up, I didn't need the neck warmer over my face and I was happy as a clam.  When I got home, each of the hairs in my beard was an icicle.

On another note....got an easy 4.6 miles in tonight.  Seemed like very little effort.  Once again...a great run after a really unpleasant bike.  How does that make sense?  This is the fourth time too.  Should I be doing short hard bike efforts before 5k runs?!

2012-01-04 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3967792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
JeffY - 2012-01-03 10:11 AM

Looks like a great run!

So the bike thing....let me do just a bit more due diligence to make sure you get something that works for you.

Can you get me a side shot of you riding your current bike, Wally?  I want to check that fit.  If it's a decent fit, then I'll ask you to take some measurements for me.  I will then try to determine if you could get good measurements on my frame (or frames).

Just to be clear, I have a TT frame that is probably too large and I have a road frame that is probably right.  But let's check your measurements and see what we can learn.

You mentioned having aerobars.  What, exactly, do you have?

Hope this picture is what you needed.  It's a little rough but should give you the idea.  To be honest I am not sure if it is a 54cm or a 56cm.  Whats the easiest way to measure?  As for the aerobars, they are a clip on set by Profile Design  T1+ Viper model.  Nothing special but will work for what I need

2012-01-04 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3971036

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-04 3:02 PM
wbayek - 2012-01-04 2:20 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-04 1:35 PM

I would agree with that assessment Dirk. The first one is almost guaranteed to be thrown out the window.

I had a very disappointing workout yesterday.  I did the warmup, then 6 x 4 mins at 20 min power.  Based on my last test, my 20 min power would be 294.  I could not for the life of me maintain 294 for the 4 mins.  It was very frustrating and I was just angry after I finished.  My left achilles is a little tender too; I don't remember when that started, but it's lingering....And it was my birthday.  Crappy workouts on your birthday make it worse.

Happy birthday Jonathan.  It must be something in the water up here: I had the same problem with my first 6x4' workout yesterday.  By set 4 I was seriously in trouble.  I kept thinking that I was able to keep this power up for 20 minutes just last week, and now I can't do it for 4 minutes!?!?!? 

I chalked it up to the moon phases or something.  I'm not near 294, but the concept is the same.  I figure like Jeff said, sometimes you just don't have it.  Take care of that Achilles.  And I'm checking my cleats the second I get home.

Thanks Warren.  I am glad/sorry to hear you had the same problem.  Could be a combination of a lot of things....cookies and holidays included.

Not sure about you, but it's a balmy 14 degrees out.  Tonight's run should be pleasant. :-)

X2 on the Birthday wishes!  40?  Surprised

Tuesday must of been the day for crashed Bike sessions.  I crashed out on my All out test, sad part is there there was only about 2.5 minutes left but I was completely exhausted.  I think I may have pushed a little too hard on the 20m section.  Oh well, I do have a slighly higher THR now.

Jeff: You can keep the -80 wind chill temp, I don't think there is enough clothing to make me go out in weather like that.  I am not sure I would make it pass -10.  There is a reason I pay for a YMCA membership.

2012-01-05 4:53 AM
in reply to: #3971781

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Wow a lot went on yesterday. 

Happy 40th birthday Jonathon!  Okay so I don't really know how old you are but it made me feel better to make you older than you appear in your avatar.  It looks like your outdoor runs are getting similar to mine.  We had a little bit of a cold snap ourselves over the weekend that brought temps into the low 20's and wind chills in the low teens.  As I almost always do, I stuck to the outdoor running because the treadmill is exhausting.

The cycling workouts are pretty bad now that I have a different MLSS (167).  Last night I was brutalized by the 14x30' WO.  By the time I hit the last 4 reps my legs were trash, my head was hanging and I couldn't hardly breath.  I would imagine by tomorrow's long run my legs will not feel right.  I am SO not looking forward to the 6x4' coming into the picture.

Matt, I may be wrong here but you might need to grad a couple of other pics with some shorts on, although it looks like you need a larger bike to me.  You look pretty scrunched into that bike.  Do you know what size Wally is?   You said you bought it at Walmart right?  It was probably measured in inches from there, then you can use this link to convert to metric.

2012-01-05 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3972068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
DirkP - 2012-01-05 5:53 AM

Happy 40th birthday Jonathon!  Okay so I don't really know how old you are but it made me feel better to make you older than you appear in your avatar.  It looks like your outdoor runs are getting similar to mine.  We had a little bit of a cold snap ourselves over the weekend that brought temps into the low 20's and wind chills in the low teens.  As I almost always do, I stuck to the outdoor running because the treadmill is exhausting.

The cycling workouts are pretty bad now that I have a different MLSS (167).  Last night I was brutalized by the 14x30' WO.  By the time I hit the last 4 reps my legs were trash, my head was hanging and I couldn't hardly breath.  I would imagine by tomorrow's long run my legs will not feel right.  I am SO not looking forward to the 6x4' coming into the picture.

Matt, I may be wrong here but you might need to grad a couple of other pics with some shorts on, although it looks like you need a larger bike to me.  You look pretty scrunched into that bike.  Do you know what size Wally is?   You said you bought it at Walmart right?  It was probably measured in inches from there, then you can use this link to convert to metric.

. If I measured correctly Wally is 56cm. I went from the center of the pedal to the top of the seat Tube. I was kind of surprised so I am not sure if I did it right. I will take another pic tonight on shorts!
2012-01-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3971752

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Matt, that's a good start.  Like Dirk said, if you are wearing tight shorts it helps to see the angles of all of your joints.  Also, your leg should be fully extended for the picture (not FULLY extended, just with the pedal at the lowest point).

To measure your frame, you will run a tape measure from the center of the bottom bracket (the axle the crank arms turn on), along the seat tube up to the center of the top tube.  (not the top of the seat tube).  I'll try to find a photo that shows that precise measurement.

(bike frame.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike frame.jpg (35KB - 63 downloads)
2012-01-05 8:58 AM

User image

NH

-50?  You guys are nuts.  That's deep sea diver clothes weather.  No exposed skin at all, or instant frost bite.  I have had frost bite on my cheeks due to being stupid in a previous life as a sort-of ski bum, and I can tell you it blows and can be permanent.  Be careful at those temps.  I'm good down to about 0, then I tend to wimp out.  Not too many days around here get below zero, so I'm usually good to go all winter.

Matt, I would agree that we need a better pic.  Try to get one with shorts and some on the bars as well.  I'm not a bike fit expert, but in that position, it really looks to me like your leg angle is pretty acute if that's the bottom position for your foot.  Maybe get a few shots with your foot at the bottom and top of the cycle (well, not bottom and top but in crank arm fully extended and then 180 from that.)  I find it hard to judge based on still shots, but maybe someone else has the eye.

2012-01-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3972068

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2012-01-05 5:53 AM

Haha...ripe old age of 31! Thank you very much!And I would agree that Matt looked scrunched up a bit there. I see major speed coming out of a new bike and position!
2012-01-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3972506

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-05 9:31 AM

Haha...ripe old age of 31! Thank you very much!And I would agree that Matt looked scrunched up a bit there. I see major speed coming out of a new bike and position!

Around my parts, the 40-50 year olds are the strongest age groups by far at EVERY race.  About half the time the overall winner is over 40.  Way, way, way, way faster than those 31 year olds.  Don't worry, you will get old and fast too....

2012-01-05 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
So re saying that I will be fast in 12 years!? Whew, I didn't know patience was involved!
2012-01-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3972775

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-05 11:20 AM So re saying that I will be fast in 12 years!? Whew, I didn't know patience was involved!

Yep.  Sorry.  You are just too young to be fast yet.  Have some growing up to do still.

Don't dis us more 'mature' guys. 

2012-01-05 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3972871

User image

NH
JeffY - 2012-01-05 1:03 PM

jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-05 11:20 AM So re saying that I will be fast in 12 years!? Whew, I didn't know patience was involved!

Yep.  Sorry.  You are just too young to be fast yet.  Have some growing up to do still.

Don't dis us more 'mature' guys. 

So I have one more year to get fast?  Better get back out there...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64