Huntsville, Texas
United States
soler sports
Total Time = 5h 06m 58s
Overall Rank = 11/168
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Drove from League City (south of houston) to huntsville in the morning. Took about 1 1/2 hours. I was solo for this one, went in not knowing anyone doing it. The wife and kids were in austin for the weekend and I was going straight from the race to Dallas for a Mavericks game on saturday night and eagles vs cowboys game on sunday night.
Event warmup:

nothing. Heck I was about to run 31+ miles! My first ultra and I was excited and nervous as could be.
Run
  • 5h 06m 58s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned on running the first half of the race around 9-930 pace. I had my garmin on and planned on using it but I knew all the tree cover and up and down on the course would probably throw it off (it ended up off by about .6 of mile i the end). Started off on a paved road for the first 1 mile or less then straight into the single track. I noticed right away this would be different, you had to pay attention to your feet and the ground as the roots were everywhere and ground was uneven. It was so peaceful here vs running on the pavement heaven of houston/clear lake tx area. I ended up running with a guy named Jason, we seemed about the same skill set and ended up talking quite a bit. I found out he had placed 4th the previous year and then I started thinking this is feeling easy so maybe just maybe I could try to get a top spot. I had no goals other than enjoy the day and have some fun.

Loop 1 is the 6.7 miles, single track, up and down, a jeep trail and a decent little climb. After hitting that mark I realized I was in 3rd place. Granted I was in a group of 4 people so 3-7 were all clumpted together. 54:12.4 for a 8:05 pace

2nd loop and 3rd loop are the same trail. So started the 2nd loop and still feeling really good. You run a small portion of the 1st loop then it splits and goes behind Raven lake, here is the much tougher part of the course, more roots, hills and a little climb up the damn. At mile 12 or 13 I made a decision to slow it down some. I was starting to feel the race a little and still had a long way to go. Jason, they guy I been running with since about mile 1 was beginning to struggle some and at mile 18 just near the end of loop 2 he popped and told me to continue. Then end of the big loops are cool, you go over some neat wooden bridges at the edge of the lake. My feet were beginning to hurt a little and I rolled my rt ankle on a root. As i passed the timing mat to start my last loop I stopped at my transition bag and pulled out a fresh pair of shoes with some new cushion, ended up stopping for about 2 minutes. This was probably a mistake as I was really tight now and still had 12 miles to go. ended this 12.15 loop with a time of 1:46:02 for 8:44 pace.

Loop 3 started out a little rough as I was tight for about 2 miles from stopping, then I stepped on another root and this one rolled my left ankle now, both were throbbing but I trotted along. I kept a somewhat ok pace until just after mile 26. I stopped at an aide station and was beginning to hurt, I had just tripped over a root and went flying forward and caught myself on a tree, didnt fall but definately hurt. At this time I knew those feel good early miles were too fast. It was hot out 74 degrees to be exact and humid of course. I was salty as could be. from mile 26 - 30 it was a run, walk fest. I started getting passed by people here and dropped to 13th place. I was able to muster up enough speed and passed 2 others over the last few miles. I stopped at an aide station around mile 29, they said only a little over 2 to go. Had some sea salt chips, slammed a gatoraide down and sucked it up. Actually jogged the last mile without stopping. How bad was the last loop, those last 5 miles of run/walk brought me to a loop time of 2:26 or 12:05 pace - ouch

Ended up 11th overall and 4th in AG

I crossed the finish line, nothing like a road race or tri race but it was really exciting, I had some rough patches but never thought about quitting, in fact I can't wait for the next one. Got my hoodie, medal and finishers shirt.
What would you do differently?:

Start off slower liked I planned, 31 miles is far and I plan on dling Warda 50 miler this fall and hells hill 50k in april.

So take in enough fluids, calories and pace yourself!
Post race
Warm down:

Went to food area, had a drink and some soup, put my feet in lake ravin and relaxed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pacing myself for this distance

Event comments:

Overall good race. Aide stations a little far apart and one of them had a ton of bee's in everything. Yes, I know you are in the middle of the forest. Overall good race. Will be back next year (well this year)

Last updated: 2010-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
05:06:58 | 31.07 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 11/168
Performance: Average
Course: off road race. Multi loop race, you had the initial 6.7mile loop then two 12.15 loops. Lots of single track, some dirt roads and a ton of tree roots.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-01-27 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Texas Trail Run 50K

2011-01-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3325409

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Texas Trail Run 50K
Congrats on your first 50K! That's great!!
2011-01-28 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Well done!

That first ultra is always a learning experience; learning how to pace, learning how eat & drink, learning what works and what doesn't, and learning how to avoid those damn roots.

Well, you're on way to longer distances now...
2011-01-28 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
good job. Wow. That is fast.

eta, hope you don't wait so long to put up your marathon rr. Good luck this weekend.

Edited by BigDH 2011-01-28 2:51 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Trail Run 50K Rss Feed