General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WSJ Article: "A Workout Ate My Marriage" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-02-01 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3332592

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: WSJ Article: "A Workout Ate My Marriage"
From my perspective, that of a naive 18 year old "kid", I've always wondered how the older folks I swim/ride with maintain their familial relationships... It's odd seeing a few people that were at the pool for two hours the friday night prior at a morning Saturday long ride- What about family time, i wonder?  Of course, there's much more to what meets the eye... but jeez.

2011-02-01 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Crazy extremes make the news and this story is an easy sell because IM distance and training required to do it seem crazy to the average person. However, this story is even more extreme because it shows how upside down priorities can become.

I've only been married for 16 years and have learned the following:
1. If either one of us is keeping score (I did this, you did that) then it is a sign of deeper issues that need resolved.
2. My wife wants to be first and if she knows she is, then life is much easier. For this reason, no reading my blackberry while she is talking. Be flexible to meet her needs and family needs. Demonstrate balance and perspective by not pouting.

One final thing is that I'm tired a lot of the time due to getting up early and working and training. I know that I need to bring my A game for family. It is easy to be a cranky baby in front of your family with sighs and exaggerated tiredness, I work really hard to be quick to help and play.

Imagine if we treated our training partners and team the way we acted around our family. They would think we are amazing wusses.

2011-02-01 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3333646

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
cbrave - 2011-02-01 12:01 PM It is easy to be a cranky baby in front of your family with sighs and exaggerated tiredness, I work really hard to be quick to help and play. Imagine if we treated our training partners and team the way we acted around our family. They would think we are amazing wusses.

If I acted cranky and tired at home I'd get zero sympathy.  My 16 year old daughter has dance classes 8 hours a week, and a dance competition once a month or so.  My 17 year old daughter is a lieutenant on her high school drill team, trains most days after school, has six-hour "lock-ins" on two Saturdays a month.  My 20 year old daughter is in New York studying at NYU and will graduate this May after 3 years, with a major in Politics, a minor in French, and a minor in Comparative Literature.

IM training?  Pah.
2011-02-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3333667

User image

Expert
brucemorgan - 2011-02-01 12:07 PM

IM training?  Pah.

Great to have perspective and some amazing women in your life. Congratulations! Who inspires who?
2011-02-01 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3333685

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
cbrave - 2011-02-01 12:18 PM
brucemorgan - 2011-02-01 12:07 PM IM training?  Pah.
Great to have perspective and some amazing women in your life. Congratulations! Who inspires who?

They inspire me, and have ever since they were little.  I know what's important in life:

(my3girls.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
my3girls.jpg (42KB - 11 downloads)
2011-02-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3333574

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
charmander - 2011-02-01 12:36 PM From my perspective, that of a naive 18 year old "kid", I've always wondered how the older folks I swim/ride with maintain their familial relationships... It's odd seeing a few people that were at the pool for two hours the friday night prior at a morning Saturday long ride- What about family time, i wonder?  Of course, there's much more to what meets the eye... but jeez.

for me that is just wrong.  when I was single I had the marathon group rides, runs, etc. but not as a parent.  I can't waste that time coordinating and meeting people for a workout.  Sometimes I might go on a group run/ride but that's rare.  Most of my training is in the early morning before work, and sometimes during lunch.  I'm always home for dinner and infact, do mosty of the cooking in our house.  On the weekends I get up early and often I am home before my wife and kids are out of bed.  Even on long rides I seldom get home after noon.

I did my only IM back in 2009.  My family was supportive for the most part but it was a stress added to our lives.  No matter how I tried to justify it...really, the family never truely felt they were my priority.  It's not likely I will ever train for one again.

2011-02-01 2:43 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
double post!
Yell

Edited by rayd 2011-02-01 2:44 PM
2011-02-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3333511

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
crazyalaskian - 2011-02-01 12:16 PM I know I've had arguments with my husband about training before.  He spends a lot of time with our kids and occasionally pulls the "well you got to go do this, so I should be able to go to that" card which is fair for the most part but it can be tiresome to have it played on any kind of recurring basis.  He has even tried that with masters swimming when I get back before any of them (including him) even wake up.  Luckily it is a pretty rare occurrence but the last one really struck a chord with me.  I told him what my goals were for the season and that I was going to have to put in lots of work but the long workouts would be far shorter than they were last summer since I'm focusing on Olympic distance this year and his response was something along the lines of "it is so nice of you to decide that without discussing it with me.  You are the boss".  Granted, more commitment on my end translates to more scheduling and cooperation on his end but, I'm not allowed to set goals for myself?

I'm not a stellar triathlete, but it makes me happy, keeps me healthy, and sets a good example for our children (though it could set a bad example if it got out of hand).  It is just another challenge in a lifelong one called "marriage".  I know he understands why I do triathlons but I need to remember the flexibility he generally affords me.

His repsonse might not have been the best lead into a discussion. But in principal I think he is right. I ask my wife before I set a goal. I want to do IM CdA in 2012 but I literally asked her permission before I set that goal. I told her my best guess as to the amount of training time it was going to require and I made sure she was okay with everything. She agreed and is supportive.

I think it might have been better to approach it as a discussion rather than a "I set this goal so that's the way it is" manner.

2011-02-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3333714

User image

Expert
Thanks for adding some encouragement to my day. I'm the dad to two little girls and I know what you are talking about.
2011-02-01 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Balance is key and you need to make your wife feel important.  I been married for 18 years but only doing triathlons for over a year.  I made changes to include training time in my life and gave up golf.  Triathlons were more important and it wasn't fair to train and then disapear on the weekend playing golf.  I keep my wife included in my plan for races and additional training I have planned.  She has started training this year and we started swim lessons for her and the kids.  It has been a great family time with the lessons and we all have something to discuss at the dinner table. 
2011-02-01 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Interesting discussion. I've been married for 2 1/2 years (no kids) and I always try to be very mindful of the fact that I chose to start doing triathlon and now, for better or worse, it impacts my husband's life a lot.

He's always a part of the discussion when I decide to do longer races (doing IMAZ as my first IM this year), so he understands the time commitment and the training I need to put in upfront so there are no surprises. He also knows that this is a temporary thing this year as after IMAZ we plan to start a family so training won't be my main focus anymore.

Also doesn't hurt that he's a cyclist and I sweetened the deal by buying him a Scott CR1 last week so he has some carbon to ride when he does training rides with me. Smile

I agree with a lot of the others in that conflict related to a spouse's exercise is probably symptomatic of bigger problems in the relationship.

2011-02-01 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

The family time thing is the main reason why I don't intend to train for anything beyond an Olympic currently.  The HIM is there in the back of my mind, but down the road a bit more when our kids are older.  As it is I'm sure my wife would still like to see a bit more of me than she does.

2011-02-01 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
charmander - 2011-02-01 2:36 PM From my perspective, that of a naive 18 year old "kid", I've always wondered how the older folks I swim/ride with maintain their familial relationships... It's odd seeing a few people that were at the pool for two hours the friday night prior at a morning Saturday long ride- What about family time, i wonder?  Of course, there's much more to what meets the eye... but jeez.

Now that we are empty nesters, I have no problem swimming an hour on Friday night, and then going for a long ride/run Saturday (well, not right now, with a couple of feet of white stuff on the ground, and a lovely ice coating on top).  In fact, last year, mrs gearboy and I took a dive vacation - which meant we ate breakfast, I went diving with a group till lunch, we met for lunch, then I left for more diving till dinner.  Meanwhile, mrs gearboy got to sit by herself and read to her hearts content, with neither of us feeling bad about it.  When we had kids underfoot it was a lot harder for us to get to do things that we wanted to do all by ourselves.

2011-02-01 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3333667

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
brucemorgan - 2011-02-01 3:07 PM
cbrave - 2011-02-01 12:01 PM It is easy to be a cranky baby in front of your family with sighs and exaggerated tiredness, I work really hard to be quick to help and play. Imagine if we treated our training partners and team the way we acted around our family. They would think we are amazing wusses.

If I acted cranky and tired at home I'd get zero sympathy.  My 16 year old daughter has dance classes 8 hours a week, and a dance competition once a month or so.  My 17 year old daughter is a lieutenant on her high school drill team, trains most days after school, has six-hour "lock-ins" on two Saturdays a month.  My 20 year old daughter is in New York studying at NYU and will graduate this May after 3 years, with a major in Politics, a minor in French, and a minor in Comparative Literature.

IM training?  Pah.

Not to mention that training for tri's is something we supposedly do "for fun".  If I ever whined about it, I would be told "no one is making you do this", and there would be no sympathy.

OTOH, if we treated our training partners the way that people in the article treated family, we would be looking for new training partners.
2011-02-01 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3333714

User image

Central Oregon
brucemorgan - 2011-02-01 12:28 PM
cbrave - 2011-02-01 12:18 PM
brucemorgan - 2011-02-01 12:07 PM IM training?  Pah.

They inspire me, and have ever since they were little.  I know what's important in life:

Awe, I heart that, thanks for sharing. I have three girls too, all under 5.

I get up before the family to do my workouts and for me this is totally a hobby. You know, all this discussion has just made me super appreciative of my husband. I think I'll make some cookies for him now.

Edited by Brightbow 2011-02-01 4:44 PM
2011-02-01 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3333517

User image

Veteran
San Diego, Discovered by the Germans in 1904
n.k - 2011-02-01 11:17 AM IMO, for Waxmen, if it wasn't triathlon it'd be golf.  Or poker.  Or his career.  Or something.  This isn't an exercise problem, its a 'my lofty goals are more important than the commitments I made to my wife and kids' problem. 

I have no issue with massive goals that take huge time commitments to achieve.  But I do have an issue with people hurting their family to achieve those goals.  I believe that if you want to train an insane amount of hours, don't get married to someone who doesn't understand and support that.  And don't have kids.  Kids have to come first in a parent's life.  Period.

^^^^^Yep. 

Weird article for the most part.  Exercise is not the issue.  The underlying issue is selfishness.  I'm married with two kids.  It's a balancing act for sure.  Keeping my wife posted on my training, how long I'll be gone and things like that help.  If you're in a relationship I think any goal, whether it be Kona or a 5k, has to be agreed upon.  My wife and I talked about IM Florida for three weeks before we decided I should sign up for it.  Yep, I'm one of those men who asks his wife if he can do something.  I'm pretty sure I just a broke a "man rule."  Sue me. 

It's never good to be selfish, and when a partner or family is involved it's even neverer gooder. 

2011-02-01 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3333318

Veteran
Indiana
Experior - 2011-02-01 1:01 PM What I find absurd about these articles is the unspoken insinuation that somehow exercise is the cause of the problem.  The cause of the problem (if the article is presenting a fair picture, and of course we don't know) is that the guy is a jerk to his family.

Workouts don't kill marriages.  People kill marriages.

I was thinking the same thing.

A lot of times, when there are personality problems or a marriage is on the rocks, people will "retreat" into some hobby or past-time. In such cases, it's not the hobby that caused the problem; it's more of a symptom.

If I come home from gym/ride/run or get off the treadmill and I'm in a great mood, and extend that to connecting with my wife and family, I don't think it's going to be a problem. If I start using the gym/bike/treadmill as a place to hide from my family, there are going to be problems.
2011-02-01 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3334060

Veteran
Indiana
ltoson - 2011-02-01 6:14 PM  I'm pretty sure I just a broke a "man rule."  Sue me. 

I think those are the same man rules that if you follow them, you wind up with a string of broken marriages and kids and grandkids scattered all over the country who won't talk to you.

Marriage is a partnership. If I expect my wife to confer with me before dropping $2K on a piece of jewelry, then I need to confer with her before dropping $2K on a bike.
2011-02-01 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3334123

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-02-01 7:21 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I always wonder if this would be an issue if they said, "My husband works too much".  That is seen as a 'real' reason because it brings cash to the house.  It's no different if you ask me.

Communication is the important part that is missing here.  As others have said:  It's not the training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WSJ Article: "A Workout Ate My Marriage" Rss Feed  

of 2