General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you give anything up during Ironman training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-02-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3358065

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Do you give anything up during Ironman training?
Baowolf - 2011-02-16 12:42 PM

You will give up a lot of $$.   

this x 100000

2011-02-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3338892

Veteran
Vicksburg
Coldfire - 2011-02-04 9:03 AM My soul, and family time (not all of it, but a LOT). I don't have a life outside of training, so giving up a social life was moot. 1. One important tip is to NOT give up all of your family time. Build family time in, and factor it into your training even if you have it semi-scheduled. I can only presume you are married, and if so, your pursuit for iron will need a supportive spouse by your side. If you dump on that early, then the support will not be there when you need it most (e.g. at your peak, and when you have to devote the most time towards training). Definitely keep on top of family time. 2. Good luck with the bed-by-midnight goal. You will need sleep/rest, and hitting the sack at midnight is not going to provide you with the needed amount. IMHO, when you hit the training hard, that will sort itself out since you will start crashing. 3. Get your sessions in early (espcially for the long bike/long runs), unless you a special type person who can FORCE yourself out the door in the afternoons. Too many things can pop up during the day to throw your schedule off. I tend to think of myself as one of those odd people that can force to do sessions is the afternoon/evening; however, there are days that even I am tested. Get them done, and get them done early. Doing so will allow you to get your family time in (see number 1 again). 4. Be mindful about your nutrition and what you put into your body, but during the hight of your training if you want to nail a burger, fries, etc. do it. Other thing such as alcohol will naturally limit themselves, since you will need sleep and early sessions call early on the weekends. Other than that, go forth and crush the training! Good Luck!

Great advice is given in this thread.
2011-02-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3337209

User image

Late nights....
2011-02-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3358105

User image

15step - 2011-02-17 1:54 AM
Baowolf - 2011-02-16 12:42 PM You will give up a lot of $$.   
this x 100000

Totally agree... 
2011-02-17 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I'm starting my training for my second ironman and this time around I definitely want to get to bed early so that I can do my training (or, at least the first workout of the day) early in the morning. I am one to be able to push myself out the door later in the day, but it's just not as enjoyable as cranking something out in the AM. That, and I really have to cut back on my nutella intake. It was getting to reach ungodly amounts. 
2011-02-18 1:16 PM

User image

Regular
Im just beginning my 20 week IMLP training , I feel as though I wont have to "give up" much.

I dont have children mind you, but i work 40 hours a week and have a side business, but my BF and my brother and neices, mom and dad,  will be seeing less of me.
I will drink less alcohol and get to bed sooner so I can get up to train the next morning. No caffiene either.
I dont feel like that is giving up too much to achieve such an enormous goal.

2011-02-20 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm training for IM #3 and my rules were flexible but I still try to stick to them:

Minimum of 7 hours of sleep a night
15 min of stretching/foam roller every day
Massage every 3 or 4 weeks
Limit alcohol
Limit random TV watching (TiVO helped this a lot)
Always put my husband ahead of training - I didn't do this for my 1st IM and it made both of us way happier when I changed that behavior for IM #2
Never cramming workouts from 1 week into another. A week is a week and if I miss something and can't make it up in the same week it's lost.

And my #1 rule was HAVE FUN! If you don't love what you're doing then why the heck are you killing yourself to do it.

Also as someone who's lost a significant amount of weight I also think your weight loss goals are pretty lofty. You need to be focused on fueling your body for the training it's doing not cutting calories to try to keep dropping weight. You will lose weight while training but if you go on calorie restriction you'll end up selling yourself short training quality wise.
2011-02-20 10:40 PM

Regular
College Station
studying....
2011-02-22 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My husband and I did IM Wisconsin together in 2010, so we had a lot of weekend time together.  We did the race together, so training was all at the same pace (gotta love him for doing that with me).  We did give up some of our social life but still made sure we made time to see friends and family and our kids were so patient with us.  Made sure we did some extra special things with them when we could and the time we spent was quality time.  Took them to Florida in October to "thank" them for putting up with all of the training.  They were there to watch us finish.  The best feeling to hug them when it was all done.   

We were more conscious about what we were putting into our mouths, but a cheeseburger every now and then was DEE-licious! 

Just need to be more organized and planned out each week to keep it all as balanced as possible. 
2011-02-26 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
This turned out to be a really excellent thread. Thanks everyone for contributing. I'm going to go back and re-read this again.
2011-03-01 12:08 AM

My first IM I was by the book with training.  Tried to fit my life around training....was tired most of the time....so no other outside social activities.  Friends & family sacrificed for me.  This time.....fitting training around my life.  So far...much better.  No doubt, you have to keep to the core of training to be successful, so can't slack off for the weekend happy hour IMO.  But if I go ski for a weekend with my hubby, I don't lament the loss of a long bike.  And I agree, don't plan to make up work outs...do them or re-think your plan.

Midnite bed time....good luck with that!!!  I think when you get into the longer miles that will take care of itself!

2011-03-03 5:35 PM

User image

Colorado

I am only beginning my IM Moo training and already I see that I am giving up a clean house, clean laundry, 3rd graders homework scores went down, and I'm too tired at the end of the day to drag our 2 100+lb. dogs out of the bed before I crash, so now I sleep with dogs (gave up >1/2 my bed space).  It has also cut my ski season short.  All unintentional, but somewhat expected.  (Had hoped hubby would give better help with the homework, thoughUndecided)

I never had time to watch TV after work, but did decide to give up the sweets.  Chocolate malts were my favorite treat and I had a large one the day before my plan started.  I will be drinking my lowfat chocolate milk, however, after every long workout as my nutritionist suggested, so I think I'll be okaySmile  Otherwise, I am not too strict with what I'm giving up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you give anything up during Ironman training? Rss Feed  

of 2