Age Group Rank = 63/155
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 11m 4s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

At 703 out of about 1400 I have re-affirmed that I am firmly a "middle of the pack" swimmer :)
What would you do differently?:

There's just still room for improvement in my swim ability, but outside of becoming a better swimmer, I wouldn't have done anything differently.
Transition 1
  • 06m 8s
Comments:

I took my time here and also stopped at the sun screen/vaseline tent to make sure I would be mostly sunburn and chafe free throughout the bike.
Bike
  • 5h 31m 27s
  • 111.97 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I should have stood up in my pedals more often than I did. I think this would have solved a few issues.

I didn't do enough power training on my bike. I used the time I had to prepare for this race, but I know where I could have worked harder.
Transition 2
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

I took time again here to get coated with sunscreen and lube.
Run
  • 3h 55m 30s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Lap 1 and 2 I was running strong and solid. With a 1:45 1/2 marathon, I was on pace for my 3:30 marathon! At the end of lap 2 I could tell that my stomach was not digesting well, so I had to slow down to let things settle, this led to walking a couple aid stations, skipping a gel, and then becoming light headed during the long gap between aid station 2 and 3. I walked for two minutes at aid station 3 to get plenty of water, ice, and gels. After this I came back to life and had a more solid (but still slower) lap 4. When I reached the turnaround point to start my final lap I knew I was in good shape and had over 1hr 15min to break the 11 hour mark. At 38km everything hurt...at 40km all the pain went away and I charged through the final 2km enjoying every minute. The finish line was absolutely awesome!

Apparently I still have a little nutrition issues to workout, although this was a huge improvement over my previous races.
And, of course, I could have put in some more run training.
Post race
Warm down:

FOOD!
No massage as I didn't want to stand in line, but the post race food was great and there were plenty of volunteers to help any athletes that needed it.

Event comments:

1. The Volunteers were amazing.

2. Spectator support is great (dwindled on the third lap of the bike, but was really good on the run)

3. WTC put on a really bad expo/Ironman Store. This has been common among non-USA Ironman events. All I wanted was a cool finisher jacket or polo-shirt and all they had was a crappy hat that was available before the race happened

Last updated: 2010-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:04 | 3800 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 117/155
Overall: 703/1400
Performance: Good
Single lap swim starting from the beach on the east side of the busselton jetty. Swim to the end of the jetty, two left turns, and return.
Suit:
Course: Beautiful clear water, even at 1.9km out to sea, the bottom is still visible. There were lots of small (1-3" diameter) jelly fish throughout the swim. The aussies refer to these as "stingers". They are not dangerous, a mild annoyance, and most people (myself included) did not get stung. Although there were lots of them and they were pretty visible in the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:31:27 | 111.97 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 72/155
Overall: 424/1400
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A flat, windy, three loop bike course. With multiple out-and-back sections on the course there was a constant headwind/tailwind to deal with. My Hed3 race wheels were the right choice for the course. I really thought a 100% flat course would have been less difficult.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:55:30 | 26.22 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/155
Overall: 301/1400
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 52min Lap 2: 53min 1/2 Way: About 1:45:00...This was right where I wanted to be Lap 3: 1hr+ Lap 4: 1hr-ish
Course: 4 Loop, Flat Course. Aid Stations about every 2k, but there was one that was too long, and the next was almost too short.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes