General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-06 9:47 AM

New user

Cookeville
Subject: First Triathlon
Doing the Music City Sprint in July and it will be my first triathlon. I will be following the 16 Week Olympic plan. I live in Cookeville, TN and spend must of my time training alone. With going into my first Tri, does anyone have suggestions or comments that can help me out? Any info will certainly help. Thanks so much, Matt

2011-02-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3341364

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: First Triathlon

What about doing a mini-sprint first to get your feet wet, so to speak?  GJCC (www.team-magic.com) is Memorial Day weekend.  Something like a 200 yd pool swim, 8 mile bike and a 2 mile run.

Practice your transitions.  Set up your transition area in your driveway or at the edge of your garage or somewhere about 25 to 30 yards from the street.  Run around your house barefooted to simulate the run from the pool.  Put on your bike shoes and run with your bike to the street.  Look both ways and practice mounting.  Ride down the street and come back simulating getting off your bike at the entrance to T2.  Dismount, run with your bike back to your transition area and change into your running shoes, put on your race belt while running out, etc.

Do this for 30 minutes to 45 minutes once a week in the month or six weeks so leading up to your race.

My two cents worth.

2011-02-06 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
Make sure you've practiced swimming in open water. 
2011-02-07 7:27 AM

New user

Cookeville
Thank you both for your response.  I've taken sometime to look into the GJCC mini sprint and I plan on doing it.  With regards to getting some practice in open water...any suggestions as to where I can do this in Middle Tennessee?  Thanks again!
2011-02-07 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

Get acclimated with the heat if you are doing the Music City triathlon.  It was hotter than Hades last year.  When we got in the car to drive home after the race, the car thermometer read 105!

2011-02-07 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3342553

User image

Regular
Nashville
mattmantz - 2011-02-07 7:27 AM Thank you both for your response.  I've taken sometime to look into the GJCC mini sprint and I plan on doing it.  With regards to getting some practice in open water...any suggestions as to where I can do this in Middle Tennessee?  Thanks again!

Hi, there are several lakes in the Mid Tn area that have designated swimming areas - Percy Priest for one.
Last year I joined a few other BTers who had a friend with a boat that acted as our safety crew which was very nice.  

2011-02-07 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3342553

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
mattmantz - 2011-02-07 8:27 AM Thank you both for your response.  I've taken sometime to look into the GJCC mini sprint and I plan on doing it.  With regards to getting some practice in open water...any suggestions as to where I can do this in Middle Tennessee?  Thanks again!

Matt...there are a number of options available on just about any of the lakes.  A few of them even have man-made beaches that attract people on the weekend.  As always, safety is your top priority.  Ideally, you want someone nearby in a kayak or a canoe.  At the least, you want to wear a bright swim cap and have a spotter on dry land. 

Once it warms up a bit, our group will do open water swims on a regular basis.  We will occasionally open up the workouts for the general public.  When we do, I will post the opportunity here for all that are interested. 
2011-02-08 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
My suggestion is to just have fun on your first and take it all in! Leave your watch at home. Do not worry about timing, and just enjoy it!
2011-02-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3344697

User image

New user
I agree with jford. Go for fun.  I saw the race last year and will do it this year as a training race.  I think with the hills and the current in the water, it won't be a PR race.  I'm glad I saw the race before doing first, at least the swim.  I saw the swimmers from the bridge.  At least for the short course folks, you really need to do the following to get through the current.  Most people will be having major problems and lost tons of energy getting up and past the buoys.

- when you first start off, swim as far left as possible. The current seems to start the closer you are to the middle
- swim past the buoy and don't try to do a right angle turn. This was huge mistake for allot people because they all got grouped together because the current was strong and had to wait for the others to turn first.  So, swim a good 25 feet past the buoy....wont make sense but see next bullet

- the current in the middle pushed everyone down about 15 feet from the second buoy, which meant you had to swim up stream again to turn around the buoy..same problem with grouping of people and fighting current.  So, if you swim 25 feet past the first buoy, then let the current bring you at an angle cross the middle and if luckly, you cut the corner of the second buoy. 

- third buoy...cut the corner and just plan on being pushed again, but swim up stream a tad so you can try to swim straight.  The worst is if you get pushed down stream and try to swim up stream to get to the dock stairs. 

- use the dock stairs to the left... 80% of people were waiting for the stairs on the right...

Edited by chenny 2011-02-25 8:19 AM
2011-02-26 8:23 AM

Veteran
Tennessee

Hey I live in cookeville too. My first open water was the music city olympic. I did my open water swimming at dale hollow. I just did a couple of swims to get use to the feeling. I spend a lot of time at the lake so open water doesn't bother me. I also recommend doing a mini sprint first, just for the experience alone. Plus mini sprints are fun, you can go all out and the distance isn't that far.

2011-03-06 5:49 PM

User image

Just want to reiterate what chenny said.  I did the Olympic last year and way underestimated the effect of the current.  I made the swim much longer than 1.5k.

Last year it was also very hot (mid to upper 90's).  Get some hill work on both the bike and the run.  Having Ellington Parkway closed to traffic was really nice.

Have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon Rss Feed