Kinane Events
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 12m
Overall Rank = 5793/13255
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 152/671
Pre-race routine:

slept in as long as I could.. Hubby dropped me off at about 7:10 and that worked..
Event warmup:

not much other than walking several blocks to get to the start
Run
  • 2h 12m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

jumping into an early wave and took a chance on keeping my walk breaks to an absolute minimum. Started out strong and only walked once up to mile 3.. Once on the Garfield hill I did walk up that to save myself a little. Right ankle started to bark for some reason at about mile 5 and by mile 6 was bothering me. Walk breaks after that were more of a problem because of trying to get into a comfortable pace, after walking for any length of time. This problem had to be either my shoes were done, or the Sof Sole insert was toast. I have had no problems other than just a bit or soreness in a previous 3 mile easy run. Attributed that on that day to just not being loose yet... I was wrong.. I worked hard from mile 6 on to put the discomfort out of my mind as I turned for home on PCH. Kept my eyes down on the road just ahead and zoned in on my music. I was really sucking wind by mile 12 and I took off my head phones to use the crowd to carry me home. I knew I was close for a PR and dug deep to find anything I had left.. I just kept pushing and it was getting harder to keep moving.. I was about 200 yards from the finish and stopped to walk; I was just about done.. I had just enuf left to get across the finish line and promptly landed on my ass. I had to sit and catch my breath; my HR was at 182.. A couple of the support crew came and helped me up and off I went.
I had my PR but did it the hard way for sure...
What would you do differently?:

be in better running shape...
Post race
Warm down:

after getting up off my ass after crossing the finish line, I didn't stop walking until I stopped at the port-a-potty..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being that time of the month ALWAYS zaps my strength.. being in better running shape would have made it easier on the old body.. have 7 pounds to still get rid of..

Event comments:

This race is one of the best ones I do. It is always well supported with volunteers, port-a-potties, and spectators. The post-race snacks are wonderful and plentiful. This is a 13.1 that should go on your bucket list..

Last updated: 2010-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:10 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 152/671
Overall: 5793/13255
Performance: Good
Average HR was 167 with a max of 188.. ouch..
Course: Basically flat with a couple of small hills.. perfect for a PR
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-02-06 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
Subject: Surf City USA Marathon

2011-02-09 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3342298

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Marathon
Y'know, getting a running PR in a distance race when you don't feel in top running shape is some serious BADAZZ!!!! Great job and congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon Rss Feed