Krispy Kreme Challenge
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 48m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Gorged myself at the Cheesecake Factory the night before. Mistake. I thought I'd be sneaky and eat pasta so that it would digest faster. I woke up still full. Not ideal.
Event warmup:

Put on my Wheres Waldo costume and walked to the belltower in the cold rain.
Run
  • 00m
  • 4.77 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The course says its a 2 mile run to the donut shop. Its more like 2.35. I don't know exact splits but the race started out well for me. I got through the first mile in around 5:30. At the 2 mile mark I was just over 11 minutes but the Krispy Kreme was nowhere in sight. Pretty tired at this point, then I could smell them. Nearly one hundred thousand donuts to be consumed within the next hour.

I grabbed a box, 3 cups of water, and ran to a spot that would be good for vomiting. The parking lot was fairly empty at this point since I was one of the first to arrive. I smashed two donuts together and took a huge chomp. The first bite brought disappoinment. Forget "hot donuts now"... It tasted like a donut that had sat around the office for a couple days. Ten more to go. I wanted to quit after two. Smushed another two together and kept eating. Each bite was worse than the previous. At this point people were starting to gag. "Don't puke over here" was the phrase that kept flying around. With 8 donuts down I looked into the box to see the 4 remaining pastries from hell. I was almost out of water at this point and ran over to the nearest water station. During this little run a donut fell out of my box. Picked it up off of the pavement and downed it. Also spilled water in my box so the last 3 donuts were soaking in an inch of water. Smushed them together and began the most uncomfortable eating of my life. With about half of the last donut sandwich remaining I just shoved it into my mouth and headed for the exit with my empty box. As I neared the timing mat the aroma was apparent. Vomit, and lots of it. Luckily I didn't notice any more for the remainer of the race. It took me over 15 minutes to eat the donuts. Way harder than I expected.

The run back was actually somewhat fun. The donuts sat in my stomach better than expected. At this point I was behind tons of people. I bet I passed 1000 people in the final 2.3 miles. The whole time people were screaming, "Theres Waldo" or "I found you." It was fun. Most people were going pretty slow and here I was running 6 minute pace. Lots of weaving in and out. Got to the finish line and was glad to be done. A puke free day (for me)!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the hotel. Felt like a person who just consumed 2400 calories of sugar. I ate half a salad and had a headache the rest of the day. Then I slept for 11 hours straight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Arrived with too full of a stomach. But honestly...I PAID to do this race, did anyone expect me to be smart?

Event comments:

Never say never, but I don't expect I'll be doing this again. One and done. Glad I did it, glad I don't have to again.

Last updated: 2011-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 04.77 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]