General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to St. Louis Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-08 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Moving to St. Louis Area

It looks like my wife and I are moving to the St. Louis area from Denver.  I'm hoping to be working in Chesterfield, but don't know an awful lot about the area.  Is there a genuine "rush hour?  What about decent neighborhoods?  I'd love to find a house near some good running and biking routes.  I've found a couple houses near Lake St. Louis that might be nice but I don't know.

<breath>

I know I'm rambling, but I've got a whole bunch of questions rattling around my head.  I'm still trying to solidify my job situation, wondering if I can find a good group of people to train with from time to time, we'd like to buy and then move vs rent and then buy a house and have to move again.  What about races? I'm jonesing to sign up for a race and have something to train for.

So, what can you tell me about the area from a triathlon and housing perspective?  (hmm... maybe it would have just been easier to lead with that)

Thanks,
-Ben

2011-02-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3345819

Veteran
Subject: RE: Moving to St. Louis Area
Rush hour: I don't know what experience with traffic you have, but yes, there is usually congestion in the morning and afternoon on the main thoroughfares. It's never terrible due to volume, but there's basically an incident every day on at least one highway/main road that clogs things up. 

Good places to ride: Anywhere slightly east of I-270, and almost anywhere west/south/north of I-270/255  is good

Triathlons: We don't have a lot in the STL area, and they're all either Olympic or sprints. Notable races: New Town, Quartermax/Octomax, Tour de Kirkwood. They all fill up by late spring
2011-02-08 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
I'm in WIldwood. Check the New Town area. They have a great lake for OWS. I did the New Town Tri and thought, Man if I only lived here and could do a lake swim anytime I wanted.
2011-02-09 5:47 AM

Master
STL
Funny--I want to move TO Colorado!
Chesterfield is a GREAT place to ride. There are alot of hills and 'back roads' that groups head out to to ride. There are groups. STL tri club is the big one. Big Shark bike shop. Sally Drake (a coach) is based in Wildwood, not far from Chesterfield.

I don't think rush hour is anything comparable to to what I saw in Denver this summer! Fleet Feet is a well known running store in Chesterfield (locally owned). St. Peter's Rec Plex hosts two tri's one in June and one in October. They are well organized. Some 'old pros' and many newbies. Ultramax hosts a good race that is in Wright City (probably about 20-30 miles from Chesterfield.

Bike shops include: well known are  Big Shark and Maplewood. I don't know of any 'big' ones in Chesterfield.

To answer your question: Chesterfield is a very nice, upscale area, probably one of the more expensive areas to live in. They've got everything you need in 'the valley', as they call it.  Living out there, I'm sure you'll meet some triathletes at a local gym in no time. The housing market is probably the same as it is everywhere--sucky. 
2011-02-09 5:48 AM
in reply to: #3346258

Master
STL
StlPhil - 2011-02-08 11:12 PM I'm in WIldwood. Check the New Town area. They have a great lake for OWS. I did the New Town Tri and thought, Man if I only lived here and could do a lake swim anytime I wanted.

I thought the same thing. We even looked at homes out there and I had my kids convinced that is where we would move! Too bad a)we have to sell our house first and b) I'd much rather move to Colorado! 
2011-02-09 9:18 AM

O Fallon, MO
My family moved to the STL region 5 years ago from DC and it's the best move we've made.  We bought a house in O'Fallon, MO and I've worked both in the city and currently in Arnold, MO the commutes were both 45 - 50 minutes each way and about 40 miles in distance.  We do have a 'rush hour' but it's nothing like you'd experience in DC, Chicago, Atlanta or Denver.  Chesterfield is a great community and is only 10 miles from southern O'Fallon and maybe 12 - 15 miles from Lake St. Louis.  Traffic would be bad in the afternoon (outbound) coming across the Boone bridge but that would be the only issue depending upon where in Chesterfield you'll be working.  When we bought our house ('05 the height of the housing boom) comparable houses in St. Louis County (where Chesterfield is) where $100K - $150K higher.  I don't know how the housing market in Denver has been, but here most homes are about 10% below what they were selling for in '05.

As far as tri's go, I'm just getting into the sport myself and as others have mentioned there is one in July at New Town in St. Charles County.  Also in August there will be an oly in Lake St. Louis and in May there is a sprint in Columbia, MO (90 miles away).

Hope this helps...good luck on your move.

2011-02-09 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

Welcome:

Don't overlook Eureka. 

Living in St Chuck and working in Chesterfield you'll have traffic both ways.  No easy way from New Town to the Chesterfield Valley. Hwy 94 can be a real mess at times.  If you can afford it. Living in, and commuting out to Chesterfield would have you going against traffic. BTW 3" of snow in StL will shut the area down.  

OWS in StL is hard to find. Big Shark has OWS’s at New Town starting in May.  Babbler SP, and Wild Horse Creek Rd offer some good training hills for the bike. Rockwood Resv. has some great trails to run. Both are close to Chesterfield & Eureka.

That’s my .02

2011-02-09 10:48 AM

Master
STL
There will also be organized open water swims in New Melle (not far from Chesterfield). 

A good website, I forgot to mention, is http://www.sbrstl.com/ 

2011-02-09 11:25 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks everyone! That's precisely the kind of stuff I was looking for.  We found a couple places near Lake St. Louis that looked really nice.  You definitely get more for your money out there.  However, i'm a bit concerned about the traffic. (It took me over an hour to get home last night and another hour to get to work this morning.  I'm sick of other people being on my road)  If I could drive 10 mins to work or even ride to work, that'd be awesome We'll try looking closer to St Louis, but just like you said, that might get a little pricey. 

I can't wait to do some tris around Missouri.  If anyone else is considering an IronMan, my wife and eye are seriously eyeballing IM Louisville, Kentucky in 2012.  This season will be all fun stuff though - sprints, olympics, maybe some trail runs.  And if anyone is planning a long relay event (8-12 people, 3 legs per person type stuff), I'd love to get in on something like that.

Goobergirl (great name), if you ever get the urge to move to CO, it looks like we're going to be renting out two houses in Aurora if you're interested

2011-02-10 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

Here is a nice local Tri http://races.ultramaxtri.com/2011/quartermax/

If you are going to live here there are a few things you should know.

If someone ask you what school you went to. We are talking High School.
Imo’s Pizza - pronounced “E-moes”
Hwy 40 is pronounced:  “far-tee”
Ted Drews “Frozen Custard” is more like soft serve ice cream only much much better. It is worth the drive into the city.  
St Louis City is not within St Louis County. It is it’s own entity.
Stop signs (those octagonal ones). You never come to a full stop! Roll through them at about 3 mph.  (unless there is a cop behind you)
On I-270 the posted speed limit is only a suggestion.
On I-170  between 270 and Olive if it says 60 mph DON’t go 61.  

2011-02-10 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3348724

User image

Expert

halfmarathondon - 2011-02-10 9:46 AM

Here is a nice local Tri http://races.ultramaxtri.com/2011/quartermax/

If you are going to live here there are a few things you should know.

If someone ask you what school you went to. We are talking High School.
Imo’s Pizza - pronounced “E-moes”
Hwy 40 is pronounced:  “far-tee”
Ted Drews “Frozen Custard” is more like soft serve ice cream only much much better. It is worth the drive into the city.  
St Louis City is not within St Louis County. It is it’s own entity.
Stop signs (those octagonal ones). You never come to a full stop! Roll through them at about 3 mph.  (unless there is a cop behind you)
On I-270 the posted speed limit is only a suggestion.
On I-170  between 270 and Olive if it says 60 mph DON’t go 61.  

On 40 vs "far-tee"... those two words have very different meaning to me, so good to know.

Thanks for the speed tip.  I've been known to enjoy "spirited driving."

Just noticed your avatar.  Holy crap!! That run must have really sucked!

Edited by TriForrestTri 2011-02-10 1:35 PM

2011-02-10 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3349055

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

It was the 08 Lewis & Clark Marathon (now the R&R StL) . It was my first 13.1. The remnants of Hurricane Ike arrived right at gun time. 5” of rain in two hours, 50 mph winds. The course flooded, water stops blew away, they shortened the course to 10mi. Thanks to my Garmin I was able to double back and get in a full 13.1  It was a hoot and a half.

2011-02-10 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3349124

User image

Expert
Missouri
halfmarathondon - 2011-02-10 2:00 PM

It was the 08 Lewis & Clark Marathon (now the R&R StL) . It was my first 13.1. The remnants of Hurricane Ike arrived right at gun time. 5” of rain in two hours, 50 mph winds. The course flooded, water stops blew away, they shortened the course to 10mi. Thanks to my Garmin I was able to double back and get in a full 13.1  It was a hoot and a half.

That race was my first half marathon too (well, 10 miles of it anyway)!  My husband thought I was nuts but it really wasn't too bad.  Once you're wet, you're wet and the temp was decent enough that I didn't feel chilled.  I was a little disappointed about the course being cut short, but totally understand why they had to do it.
2011-02-10 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3349143

Master
STL
I remember that day. AND I remember thinking--"sure glad I didn't do THAT race!"

I think I did get stuck in some of that rain during a workout though that day.

soccermom15 - 2011-02-10 2:14 PM
halfmarathondon - 2011-02-10 2:00 PM

That race was my first half marathon too (well, 10 miles of it anyway)!  My husband thought I was nuts but it really wasn't too bad.  Once you're wet, you're wet and the temp was decent enough that I didn't feel chilled.  I was a little disappointed about the course being cut short, but totally understand why they had to do it.

2011-02-11 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

I too had no idea how bad the storm was while we were running. Luckily I had parked on a hill in St Chuck and took the bus to the start. It wasn’t till I was driving home and encountered the flooded intersections with submerged cars.

That red shirt has become my rain shirt. When I was in KC for the 09 Marathon. It was raining at the start. I ended up next to a guy with a LC 08 jersey, we both looked at each other and said “this ain’t rain”.

2011-02-14 1:41 PM

St Louis, MO
If it helps, heres my .02.

Ive lived in StL for 29 years now....back then, OFallon, Wentzville, St Charles, etc was pretty close to being all farmland, but now its all built up just like any other sprawling metropolis.

I have lived in the city (Lafayette Square, Dogtown), in the burbs(Webster) and for a short time, out in OFallon....now I live in Des Peres. Just far enough to get alot of house for the money, but still close enough that we can go hit some of our favorite restaurants in the city on the weekends.

Obviously, everyone has their opinions, but unless the job or finances dictate, I would consider looking into a closer area than Lake St Louis. Not a bad place at all, and you have everything you'd need out there. My only concern would be the stability of home prices...people kept buying further and further west to get a bigger house for the money...just not sure how that will hold up for resale once the markets return to a normal level. more importantly to me though, Id be stuck in traffic for an extra 30 minutes instead of out riding!

As far as riding goes, there is tons of it just about anywhere...hills, flats, anything (just no mountains). When you pick a place, let us know and we can offer suggestions then...I wouldnt worry about finding places to ride though. There have been a ridiculous amount of teams/rides that keep expanding in size over the last 4-5 years, so you can always find someone to ride with that can show you the routes.

Welcome to St Louis.

Edited by Redline1 2011-02-14 1:53 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to St. Louis Area Rss Feed