Pensacola Sports Association
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 26s
Overall Rank = 1267/2756
Age Group = M / 35--39
Age Group Rank = 120/135
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am. Had some Vitargo, oatmeal, and a banana.

Shuttles ran from 5am to 6am and we tried to get on the last possible one.

Arrived at the start around 6:15aam and had to stand around in the cold wind for about 45 minutes.
Event warmup:

Not much. It was very cold, about 40 degrees, and the wind was bad. Did some light stretching and jogging in place.
Run
  • 1h 33m 26s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first distance race of this magnitude. I have run nothing further than a 5K in the previous 3 years (because of multiple injuries to heal, knee, and back)and my best time on one of those was only 28:30. I was very nervous about the hills and the course in general but I would have to say I did better than I expected by roughly 5 minutes.

I started in the 10 minutes per mile pace group and was at 1:09:20 at the 7 mile marker. I felt awesome and was actually kicking myself for holding back so much, I had every inclination to step it up and that I could finish around 1:31:00. This is when the negative part of the race happened.

It seems the 5K had been started 1 hour after the 15K so we hit the walkers around 7.2 miles. They blocked the entire lane, at least 6 across in some places. They had Ipods; they were talking about American Idol, they were completely oblivious and rude. It is not fun to yell "On your right" and "On your left" or "Come on" when you are in a really good pace and stride, and when the target is some nice dad carrying his toddler on his shoulders. It didn't do any good anyway. We ended up jogging in place for long stretches, running into street traffic to go around, and sprinting through gaps in the mob. This all took place in the mile before the steepest hill on the course. It was a frustrating and infuriating setback. I lost a solid 2 minutes easily just because of the walkers.

I didn't stop at the 6 mile mark for water and when I tried to get some at the 8 mile mark it was impossible, as it seemed every cast member from Biggest Loser was stopped dead in the street gulping all the water and blocking the volunteers from the actual runners. I know I am not the fastest runner but these people were about half way through WALKING a 5K and they screwed all the runners over. I have heard all the apologies that they weren't instructed on proper etiquette but that is BS. This is the 14th year of the race and those people should be ashamed of themselves. I am glad to share the road with anyone exercising and do not begrudge the walkers (I know I am slow) but they needed to act better.

Overall the course is beautiful. You run at least 6 miles on bridges over the ocean. It isn't easy because of the 3 inclines, and 2 being right at the end, but if you run a lot of 10ks, and/or you have not yet tackled a 13.1, I really think you will love this course. And the higher altitude you live in/train in can only help because this race is at sea level.
What would you do differently?:

I will definitely be back next year but I will run in the 9 minute per mile pace group in hopes of beating most of the 5K walkers to the 7 mile mark.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the tent to get a banana and a Vitamin Water. Also sucked down the GU I had in my shirt pocket during the run. I brought it with me for the run but it was so cold I never needed it. After a * free beer we got from the after party we headed back to the hotel and hit the pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna. Then a nap. Then Peg Leg Pete's. Overall a great day.

* You get 3 free beer tabs with your race bib. I only wanted one and gave the other two to some fellow racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) My hesitance to start faster because I had not run this distance in many years.

2) The walkers from the 5K who showed poor manners and race etiquette by blocking out the runners from the course and aid stations.

Event comments:

Great event. If they set the shuttles up next year so you don't have to sit around at the start, and get rid of the 5K, it would be a Perfect 10 race for me. Even with the few flaws it is a must do and we will definitely be back.

* Lastly, the results show me as finishing in place #1267 because they went by clock time instead of chip time. I found 20 people on my results page alone who I ran faster than yet who were shown as beating me. If they are going to use corals for pace group starts they should at least use our chip times for pace calculations and finishing rank. I probably finished 100 places higher than they awarded me - not that it really matters.

Last updated: 2011-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:26 | 9.32 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 120/135
Overall: 1267/2756
Performance: Good
Course: The course is sort of imposing on first drive through but is actually not that bad during the event. It is called the Double Bridge Run but there are 3 hills. The first is a bridge with a steady and long rise. The second is a steep overpass. The 3rd is a very steep bridge that appears to have been an old toll bridge. All 3 inclines have a very nice return on investment with steep declines as a reward.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes