General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's wrong with me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-10 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: What's wrong with me?
My body seems to protesting something right now. I can't put a finger on when this happened but suddenly my run performance is way, way off. I did a sprint tri on July 10th. My next one is on August 28th. If you look at my trianing logs I was running around 2.5 miles with no problem at all, at a mid 7 minute pace. The other day I ran my PT test for the Guard. It is a 1.5 mile run. I was doing intervals at a six minute pace. Usually six 1/4 mile runs at 1:30 with 90 seconds rest. I was looking to break ten minutes, and I thought I would do that easily. I ended up running a 10:36 and felt dead. Two days later I ran 2.66 miles (2 2/3) and it took 22:18. A 8:36 pace and I had to push. So WTH is happening. Am I overtrained? My gut tells me I did not do enough LSD the last month. How should I proceed? I cant just stop as I have that race in two and a half weeks. HELP!!

2005-08-10 5:28 PM
in reply to: #222028

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: What's wrong with me?

I'm not sure about the overtraining, but I didn't see anything (running) in the last month where you had broken a 7:00 mile in your regular training on say a 2 mile run.  In fact, most of your fast runs were around an 8:00 pace.

Your intervals were good but 1/4 of a mile on 6:00 pace is different than 1.5 on a 6-7:00 pace.  Did you do any 1/2 mile intervals?  or maybe one or two mile tests to see where you were?  If so, I didn't see them in your logs.

If you want to break that speed at that distance, IMO you need to do some fast running at that distance.  Say, once a month doing a 1.5 mile fast as you can run to see what you can do/where you're at.  It might have been more an endurance thing - cause you can obviously hold a 6:00 pace for 1/4 a mile, but I didn't see in your logs where you were building that up so that you could hold 6:00 for 1/2, 3/4, 1 mile.

So, I'm not surprised you felt dead after your 1.5 miles - cause it seems like to me that you were pushing harder than you are used to.  There might also be an overtraining factor creeping in there, cause usually the recommendation is to do one quality/speedwork session a week, and I think you were doing more than that.

2005-08-11 10:20 PM
in reply to: #222028

Regular
Subject: RE: What's wrong with me?
Det....You aren't doing anything actually wrong, just when you are doing it may be the key.

I'll stick this in here, doing 1/4 mile repeats at 6:00min/mile and trying to add to it doesn't work....go to the link further down the page for the reasons why. I tried it and it didn't work for me either all it did was train me to go fast for a short distance and then need rest cos I was aerobically untrained.

Between races I would drop the speedwork and concentrate on form, efficiency and keeping yourself aerobic (barely noticing you are breathing is about right or conversational) and upping the mileage so you get a few long runs in up to about 7-8 miles even if they take 90 minutes. When you are about a month out from your race start reducing the duration of the runs and then start upping the tempo and throw in some intervals and tempo runs.

You are right by not doing enough long steady distance running you have detrained the slowtwitch fibers, The type II/fast twitch fibers are the ones doing most of the work during the intervals and they are nice and sharp and well trained. All of a sudden when you are required to string the intervals together and make it a fast moderate distance run your aerobic slow twitch fibers being undertrained are swamped and produce lactate as they cannot process oxygen efficiently....effectively you are going slower cos the burden is being handled by the faster twitch fibers which don't do so well aerobically and the slow twitch fibers are inefficient as they aren't well trained...let me guess you started the 1.5 mile well and went slower and slower as the pain built up?

for your race coming up I'd say dump any thought of intervals and concentrate on a minimum of 2 long slow runs per week at a minimum of 1 hour duration.....and make them super slow....and do one tempo run where you start and finish at LSD pace but the middle third you up the pace slightly

run your slow runs at a maximum of 10:00min per mile or conversational which ever is slower

make the center of the tempo runs a little slower than the 8:36 pace something like 8:45-8:55.

you should start to see the speed come back pretty quick once you go slow enough to cause the adaptations needed in the slow twitch fibers...

for a full explanation go to this url http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm

Yes it is long winded, but it is by far the best explanation I have come across for training your aerobic system first and building on it for speed. If you have a HR monitor find what your maximum HR is and use the formulas in the article for a reference in regard to the right effort level....I have a max of 194bpm and my LSD runs are at 145bpm and below... at a pace of 10:45 per mile.....my 5k PR is 23:35 10k 45:XX HM 1:45:XX just to show that LSD runs will not hurt your speed if you have balance to your training.

I thought this would only apply to 10k and above but I shaved over 2 minutes from my 5k PR by getting a decent base under my belt and adding speed work at the right time....which was about 4 weeks out.

regards

Kevin

Edited by PrimeCase 2005-08-11 10:42 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's wrong with me? Rss Feed