Florida Race Place Magazine
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 36s
Overall Rank = 232/504
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/43
Pre-race routine:

Got up a 4:55 am. Put on several layers because it was forecast to be in the upper 30's/low 40's. Had a whole wheat bagel, toasted, with chunky peanut butter and Nutella, and a small glass of milk. Left the house by 5:25 and pulled into the parking lot at 6:10, plenty of time to pick up my packet and get set up.
Event warmup:

After getting into transition and getting every thing ready, went to the facilities, glad I had my headlight on me as the bathroom lights were not on yet. After that went and jogged the last 1/2 mile leading up to transition/finish for a warm up. Found a quiet section on the beach to do some dynamic stretches then jogged back to start.
Run
  • 27m 5s
  • 3.06 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Just before the start I decided to take off my running tights and just wear my tri shorts with a long sleeved t-shirt and cycling jacket. Made it to just past the 1.5 mile mark before I was passed by the leaders of the 2nd wave. Didn't feel too taxed. Lap times weren't as consistent as I had hoped for.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my tri suit with a long sleeve compression shirt and my bike jacket.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Ran with socks during the first leg, when I got to T1 took off shoes and socks. Was afraid that if I ran sockless, I would pull out my insoles when I took my shoes off. The socks kept that from happening. Figured it was quicker to take off my socks than to try and fix my insoles. Also switched sunglasses. I tend to get sweat in the lens and did not want dirty glasses on the bike. This worked pretty well. Had trouble getting my feet in my shoes while riding, the tongue folded under and it took several attempts to get it fixed. While doing this I was passed my a lady who yelled, "if you don't know how to do that, now is not the time to practice." Probably the rudest thing said to me during a race. That really fired me up. Caught her in less than a mile, played nice when I passed her, but hey, thanks for motivating me.

GET TRI SHOES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bike
  • 29m 22s
  • 9.49 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like this was a really good ride to start the year. The group rides have really paid off. I've learned to use my gears much more than last year and keeping a steady cadence was huge today. I passed the most people during the two headwind sections and I noticed how much harder they were pedaling. This was also my first ride with the new aero helmet.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I hate the parking lot at Fort DeSoto!!!! It has to be the roughest surface to run on anywhere!

Remember to peel layers, wanted to take off my jacket, forgot, ended up running with it.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 3.04 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Best run leg I've had. My run training is really paying off. Felt strong the entire time. Never broke stride and was able to kick at the end.

Leave jacket in T2.
Post race
Warm down:

Doubled back after getting my timing chip off to cheer on one of the guys that rides in the Saturday morning group. Then went to my truck for my Recoverite and some easy static stretches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, overall I was very pleased with my race. I didn't go out too hard on the first run, kept a good rhythm on the bike and ran one of my best 5k's to end the race.

Event comments:

Wish they would add a Clydesdale/Athena division.

Last updated: 2011-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:05 | 03.06 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/504
Performance: Good
Set my Garmin to auto lap very 1/2 mile. Lap 1 - 4:21.23 Lap 2 - 4:26.62 Lap 3 - 4:25.90 Lap 4 - 4:41.94 Lap 5 - 4:24.09 Lap 6 - 4:16.88 Lap 7 - 0:29.21 Total - 27:05.87
Course: Wave start, under 40 men & women and all relays then 5 minutes later everyone else. Was in first group. Run went out going south through the parking lot and then onto the asphalt path for the first 1.5 miles. At that point the trail transitioned to a hard packed shell/sand service road. Aid station was right when you got off the asphalt. Return was not as straight as the first half. The sand wasn't too bad on the first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:29:22 | 9.49 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
1 - 3:12 2 - 2:43 3 - 3:11 4 - 3:12 5 - 3:08 6 - 2:46 7 - 2:48 8 - 3:14 9 - 3:22 10 - 1:41
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Tail wind first 1.5 miles then into a cross wind for the next 2.5 after the turn around the cross wind has from behind for 2.5 then into a straight on head wind for the last 1.5. Keeping a steady cadence and using my gears really helped.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:47 | 03.04 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
1/2 mile laps again, and... NEGATIVE SPLITS!!! 1 - 4:22.76 2 - 4:22.17 3 - 4:18.35 4 - 4:12.75 5 - 4:11.87 6 - 4:03.42 7 - 0:16.54
Course: Same as first run leg except the sand was a little softer after being run on twice by 500+ runners.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-13 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Chilly Willy Duathlon

2011-02-13 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3353258

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: Chilly Willy Duathlon
Congrats on a great duathlon Chris.  I really like that you negative split the last 5k.  Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Willy Duathlon Rss Feed