CVSPIN
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before got all of our stuff ready to go. All except our camera, doh! Was super busy getting the kids out to my O.C. for their night stay with my family.

Morning of sucked. Couldn't find the bolt to the bike rack. Had throw the bikes in back of the truck. :(
Event warmup:

Rode bike from parking lot to my Ride Yourself Fit buddies.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 55 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, maybe going out and actually doing most of the course before hand would have been a very good idea. I did not do that, however, I was lucky that I had my husband to help me along.

Loved the downhill portions, got up to about 25mph on some of those bad boys. I just want to do that over and over again. I can't figure out why people were just coasting down those hills. I got down, shifted to my tallest gear and peddled! Was a total WOOOOHOOO moment!

If we didn't stop to help our team members out, we would have finished in just over 3 hrs. We were making very good time, just couldn't leave a fellow cyclist behind.

Lots of squishys out there. So many peeps out on the side of the road fixing their tires. Then there was ambulance was on scene for a broken arm and later toward the end of the course for a broken rib. Felt sorry for those people.

CRAMPING! Cramping came at about mile 30. Went away, then came back in the last 12 miles. Stopping at all those lights didn't help.
What would you do differently?:

Get more road time in.

Eat better. Eat breakfast. Hydrate.

Carry all tools I need. Hubby carried the CO2 cartridge nozzle, so when I stopped to help a friend out, and he wasn't there, I was no good. What if I had a squishy? I wouldn't be able to help myself. Next time carry all tools I need.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked bike down to truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight and my poor nutrition.

Event comments:

Worth a visit if you're in Palm Springs during this time of year and are there to do some biking, otherwise avoid the place...too many bikes (almost 10,000 participants)!!! Weather was great!

Last updated: 2011-02-03 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 55 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
HR monitor is now broken. I fell at about the 32 mile marker, avoiding someone on my left. Nothing bad, just a little anxiety attack. Took about 10 min to recover, then helped a fellow cyclist out.
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat, very little elevation changes. What elevation changes there were, typically took place over long distances. Not a hill climb course. 3 SAG stations, well equipped. SAG 1 was like a party, they had live music there and everything. Didn't stop there. Only stopped at SAG 2 for water refills and a potty break. Race sponsors handed out bananas, fruit drinks, water, candy, oranges and all sorts of high carb, sugary fuels. A ton of people. WOW, this was my first time riding with thousands of people. Just when I thought the 56 mile group was spreading out, we were bundled back up with the Century peeps. Only parts that were really spread out were the downhill segments.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 53
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right