Tour de Palm Springs
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:00AM for 7:00AM start time. Ate a PB sandwich, downed 3 sport legs and drank a can of FRS and some water.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to the start, but not much of a warm up since my hotel was only 2 blocks away. Did some light stretching while I waited for my wave to start. It was so crowded that I couldn't meet up with the rest of my group I was supposed to ride with.
Bike
  • 6h 10m
  • 100 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

This was one of the easiest century rides I've done, simply because there were no climbs, just some rollers. I think we got a break because the winds were light. I was able to jump into some great lines when we were able to open it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. When I reached the finishline, I walked around the expo collecting my freebies and working the kinks out of my legs. Found a nice shady spot and stretched out, especially my left quad, which had been on the verge of cramping since the 70 mile mark. Walked back to the hotel, just to let my legs recover.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt my quads on both legs start to camp up after 70 miles, but I just kept a steady candence and powered through the cramps. There was some tightness in my upper quad/inner groin on my left leg that caused me to ease up around the 70 mile mark. Not too sure what caused the near-cramping, I was plenty hydrated and it wasn't all that warm of a day.

Event comments:

There were a lot of cyclist...upward to 10,000 cyclist, not sure how many were riding the century, but it was the most I've ever seen. The Good: Nice flat course, SAGs were well stocked, most cyclist had a great time. The "Not-so-good": It took forever to reach the startline due to the large number of riders. Although it was a 7AM start, I didn't hit the road til 7:45AM. After are wave got on the road, it still took some time before we could actually pick up some speed due to the number of stop lights. The same could be said as we entered back into the city. Due to the fact that it was later in the day as we returned, not only did the stop lights slow us down, but so did the traffic. Also, no Medals or bibs...now what am I going to put on my wall :). Had a huge 20 oz ribeye for dinner as wife and I celbrated Valentines a couple of days early...but hey, why not, especially if the kids aren't on the this trip. Overall, I would do this event again and follow it up with the 1/2 marathon the following day. Didn't run the marathon this year due to my wife having a stress fracture, so I decided to just enjoy the day and cheer on the runners.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-14 12:00 AM
Biking
06:10:00 | 100 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Hit all the SAGS, 5-10 mins each stop, total ride time with Sag stops and the endless number of stop lights approximately 6:40.
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat with some rollers mixed in. Around the 50 mile mark, after the 3rd SAG, the roads were extremely rough and dimpled. I thought my frame was gonna crack. Riders were losing their water bottles left and right. It took a while to get out to the open road, since we kept hitting red lights. It was the same way as we headed back into the city, lots of stop lights and traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right