Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any scuba diving triathletes out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-04-28 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3471025

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Any scuba diving triathletes out there?
peby - 2011-04-28 10:51 AM

BeginnerMan - 2011-04-28 7:28 AM Nice picture peby! Chris M what camera setup would you suggest for a newer diver with a keen interest in photography(besides including it in advanced open water) seas and sea 600? Flash or lens first? Don't have a lot to spend but want to get started

Chris will be able to give you more info but for me I am using a Canon S-90 in a Canon housing (good for 130') The whole set up cost about $600. The key to good underwater photography is knowing the range of the flash on the camera you're using. For mine it was about 1 to 2 feet max. Anything over that and the colour saturation drops dramatically. 

Another problem with point and shoot cameras is the shutter delay. Even a 1/2 sec. delay can mean the difference between a good an lousy shot.

I use a point and shoot - I'm on my fourth one (first was a film version, second was a Nikon Coolpix with a housing that got lost on a kayak trip, third was a Sealife DC500, and I am now on a DC1200). I've gotten some nice shots, with the biggest limitation being the user. As with many things, the more you do, the better you get. Shutter delays on P&S in many cases now is not that significant. I've just upgraded the arm for the strobe so I get less backscatter, but here is a shot on my last trip using the DC1200 with a short strobe arm:

(Ted-and-friends.jpg)

(Grouper.jpg)

(Remora.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Ted-and-friends.jpg (26KB - 11 downloads)
Grouper.jpg (23KB - 12 downloads)
Remora.jpg (71KB - 10 downloads)

2011-04-29 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3467586

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Any scuba diving triathletes out there?

SevenZulu - 2011-04-26 12:39 PM Does anybody do NAUI certification anymore?  I have a cert from them that's, well, really old.  I think I last went diving in Hawaii over a decade ago.  Fun hobby if you are close to the ocean.

I certified through NAUI 2 years ago on the east coast.  Seems as though Naui is a little more pronounced on the East Coast.  No NAUI shops here on Hawaii, they are all PADI.  There is not that much of a difference between the two.  It was explained to me that Naui is a bit  more conservative and focuses on doing the elementary tasks for initial certification.  Making sure new divers are comfortable with the basics before introducing other techniques.  One small difference I noted was the psi to begin your ascent. NAUI says to begin at 800 PSI and PADI at 700 PSI.  I am sure there are a few more, but that one is one I tend to remember.

If you are on Oahu, I have some LDS recommendations.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any scuba diving triathletes out there? Rss Feed  

of 3